LegacyGT.com

The Gentleman Racer Myth

rrsonist

I recently took my wife to an SCCA event here in Detroit. The event was at Belle Isle, a park here in Detroit that is frequented by the main populace here in the city--We are black by the way. I go there all the time when the clubs from the suburb come to the d to race on the isle. I attend races all the time on the isle and in the burbs--I like to race. My shop is down the street from the isle and I am a board member of the local business association. I say all this to give a little backround.

The young a$$h@le at the gate tried to deny me acces to the race. He asked several times if I knew anyone there racing at the time, several times. Repeatedly, with the same answer all the time-"yes and I race here all the time too". Then told me that there was no parking-on a public parking lot !!

Then he tried to keep me from signing the insurance waiver so that I could get in and get the required wrist bands.

Now i know that most people in the race world are not used to sharing it with us black people, and that this may have been just one bad incident in a whole lot of decent experiences- but I was and still am wanting to believe in the gentelman racer myth.

Can I get some of your thoughts on the subject??

Wow, how badly did you beat these guys the last few times you went? ;)

Unfortunately I've never been to the track, but it seems like it would be the same with any other scenario (eg golf, basketball, bowling) where if you go, you're having fun and everyone's respectful then I don't see why it would be an issue, but where I grew up it doesn't seem quite as segregated.

Now if you're being a jackass, (which is certainly doesn't seem like you are considering you censored "asshole" a bit) then my theory goes to hell, but yeah, I dunno.

The gentleman racer myth is just that. I did SCCA until the late seventies, and while there were gentlemen, they were few and far between.The SCCA (at least in Club races) was always a wasp bastion.

Sorry you had a bad experience.:mad:

I would at the very least send a letter to the SCCA board of D.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I recently took my wife to an SCCA event here in Detroit. The event was at Belle Isle, a park here in Detroit that is frequented by the main populace here in the city--We are black by the way. I go there all the time when the clubs from the suburb come to the d to race on the isle. I attend races all the time on the isle and in the burbs--I like to race. My shop is down the street from the isle and I am a board member of the local business association. I say all this to give a little backround.

The young a$@le at the gate tried to deny me acces to the race. He asked several times if I knew anyone there racing at the time, several times. Repeatedly, with the same answer all the time-"yes and I race here all the time too". Then told me that there was no parking-on a public parking lot !!

Then he tried to keep me from signing the insurance waiver so that I could get in and get the required wrist bands.

Now i know that most people in the race world are not used to sharing it with us black people, and that this may have been just one bad incident in a whole lot of decent experiences- but I was and still am wanting to believe in the gentelman racer myth.

Can I get some of your thoughts on the subject??

welcome to the forum. did you report the incident to his superiors or to the SCCA? if not you should. keep us updated. bosco

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Unfortunately, hate still exists. A black female NASCAR official tried to sue NASCAR for several track workers making racial comments. I never heard too much from it. I wish I did because I was curious to hear if NASCAR just kept offering cash until she quiet or if something was actually done. But look at drag racing. It's full of all walks of people. Hispanic drivers like the Pedregon brothers, female drivers like Ashley Force (:wub:) and Erica Enders. Antron Brown moved from Pro Stock Motorcycle to almost dominating Top Fuel. And he's always been a favorite of mine, other fans, and the drivers. There's good racers out there. They just get clouded over by the assholes that race.

I just got out of my shop, and no I did not talk to any of the people running the event or anyone of authority at the park. I just made them give em the waiver form and the wristbands and went in to enjoy the racing. I have found in the past that sometimes it is better to just let ignorance go. I really wanted to enjoy myself.

And to answer the other question yes I beat a few of them pretty bad with an automatic no less.

I will not let this color my opinion of the people that I race with simply because there are way more people who are genuine people than the people who have a skewed view of the world.;)

Now if only I could get enough horsepower to beat those young guys in the wrx's-----lol:lol:

Now if only I could get enough horsepower to beat those young guys in the wrx's-----lol:lol:

Bah, let them go. They don't know what a comfortable ride or a nice interior is. And they don't realize how nice it is when those 2 are matched in a car that's just as quick if not quicker than theirs.;)

And most of the wrx's here in the detroit area can't hang on the freeway anyway. I had a lot of training in Okinawa while I was there, a long time ago, in the train method of racing. In and out of traffic without disturbing the flow toooo bad. These young cats are not good at that.

Any way thanks again for the good word and I should have known that i would have a positive outcome on here with my family- the lgt family that is!

Yeah, how about you try reading thread and find out what it is actually about before you post?

He's all that huh? How many F1 World Championships has he got then? He hasn't won a race in over 5 years...China 2004 IIRC. He needs to get out of the sport, he's too old, he had his chance. Now he is losing to a guy, driving the same car, whom, before this season, had only ever won one race. And he is losing every weekend, and then complaining about how the team leans towards Jenson? He's definitely all that.

Guest heightsgtltd

:lol:

To the OP, that sucks and I am sorry you had to experience that. One of the nice things about the East Coast is it seems like stuff of that nature happens less often..

Archived