LegacyGT.com

225/45-17 tires on 05 LGTLTD stock rims?

Val Demar

Just FYI....I just went to 225/45/17 on my 2006 Civic SI (which runs 215/45/17 stock).....I should've gone to this tire size a long time ago.

Granted, the SI is alot less cushy stock than the LGT so I'm really enjoying the smoother overall ride, but the steering response is also excellent and so far the handling is superb.

I went with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, which I highly recommend if you want a bit more comfort at the expense of ultimate traction.

Stock tires are 215/45R17. Moving to 225/45R17 will give you 832.9 revolutions per mile as opposed to the stock 845.1 revolutions per mile, resulting in the speedometer reading 1.5% slower. That means for a given speed you'll be revving slightly lower.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I guess we should define speed first ;) Whatever you see on the speedometer is not necessarily your actual speed. I usually go with the traffic, and speedometer is "information only", so given that true speed remains the same rpm should go down (as well as speedometer reading).

Stock tires are 215/45R17. Moving to 225/45R17 will give you 832.9 revolutions per mile as opposed to the stock 845.1 revolutions per mile, resulting in the speedometer reading 1.5% slower. That means for a given speed you'll be revving slightly lower.

Hmmm, I'll compare my speedometer with my 9500i and see how much difference at 80mph.

Hmmm, I'll compare my speedometer with my 9500i and see how much difference at 80mph.

That is fail.

You can't compare your speedometer with your 9500i unless you're absolutely sure you are on flat land with no elevation changes at all.

For example, if you are on a decline, the real distance of the road may be 1 mile but a satellite may read it as .95miles and therefore the speed from the 9500i won't be as accurate as a calibrated speedometer.

Will a wider tire affect my mpg? I guess it likely will. With the gas prices climbing it is definitely a concern. I'm also considering Bridgestones RE960 in stock size, with lots of positive reviews perhaps it would be a better A/S choice overall?

That is fail.

You can't compare your speedometer with your 9500i unless you're absolutely sure you are on flat land with no elevation changes at all.

For example, if you are on a decline, the real distance of the road may be 1 mile but a satellite may read it as .95miles and therefore the speed from the 9500i won't be as accurate as a calibrated speedometer.

Actually, I think most of the navigation units calculate the slope into the distance as well. I drive extensively in the mountains, and I usually use the Navi for my actual speed since I KNOW that my Speedo reads high. I don't see the gap between the indicated speed on the speedo and the indicated speed via GPS change when I'm on a slope. But at that, the "maximum grade" for an interstate is 6% (which I contest since Vail Pass on I-70 has a stretch of 7%). And at that maximum slope of 6% grade (6 feet of change in elevation per 100 feet of travel), the difference in actual distance/speed is only .19%

You'd have to be going 1000 mph to see a 2 mph discrepancy between the GPS and the actual speed.

Are you running them? Can you comment on fuel economy compared to stock RE92s? I'm getting ~21mpg combined city/freeway driving with the stock.

Yeah like I said, I have them in 225/45/17. Had them on stock wheels and now on 17x7.5 Rotas. They are great tires, ran them on my last subaru as well.

Fuel economy wise, I never paid much attention as I had the RE92s on for all of a month when I bought the car. Right now my avg. mpg is 18.3 which is 98% stop and go city driving. And thats with an AVO panel filter, AVO TMIC, and TA stage 1 tune.

A 225/45/17 tire will usually be slightly heavier than a 215/45/17. It will increase the frontal area of your car by presenting a 10mm wider profile. It will decrease your final drive gearing as your wheel/tire will be 4.5mm taller.

In short, who knows :)

Honestly, you will most likely lose MPG but it won't be because you went to 225/45/17. It will be because the re92s are not that sticky, and the re960a/s IS fairly sticky. Stickiness = higher rolling resistance = less mpg.

Don't sweat it. Get the best tires you can.....tires do more for your car than almost anything else.

I had them...not a problem other than your speedo being off a couple mph. If you have rough roads, they'll help protect the rim a little more.

(I'm now on 235/40/17 on 8" wide rims and love it...more perf oriented setup)

Stopped by Sears Tire Center yesterday to check if they had the RE960s in stock just to have a look, and they told me it has been discontinued. Not sure if that is true but if it is then it may be difficult to get a replacement in the future in case one becomes damaged, so I'd have to get a full set again. I wish road hazard protection included a special AWD clause to buy back the remaining good tires towards a new set:) With this in mind I'm again looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which is a new tire so it should be available for some time. Costco has a $70 off deal till 6/7 which brings the price to about the same as RE960, and it also includes road hazard protection, so overall a better deal. Reading the reviews should be a decent tire as well...

I have been running the RE960 A/S 225/45/17 and really liked them for the past 3 years until I found a chunk of something in the highway Sunday and now have a nice bump in a sidewall. I thought I'd get another set, but after surfing to Tirerack I saw the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and according to the survey they rank a little higher than the RE960's.

Costco update. It turned out that Costco warehouse tire shops are run by drones who go by the book written by corporate morons. They won't install 225/45/17 because the only size listed in their book is the stock size as some idiot forgot to fill out the "plus" sizes for 05LGT. They will allow you to buy the tires and install elsewhere but then they will not be covered by road hazard protection, so you end up paying more as if you just order the tires from discountiredirect or tirerack. So much for their service.

Archived