LegacyGT.com

Alright, Now I'm Stumped!!!

I did a tranny flush today with a new filter. The car is a 1992 Legacy L 2WD with the 4EAT auto tranny. After getting the tranny pan off, I had to remove this metal pipe that runs from the drivers side of the car to the passenger side. It is bent so that both ends of the pipe lead up into the valve body of the tranny. Removing this pipe was the only way to get the tranny filter out. There were 2 bolts holding it in, and as soon as I removed the pipe it starting spewing a constant stream of fluid. I'm assuming this line circulates tranny fluid from the torque converter back into the valve body somehow, seeing as how the tranny was already drained, and yet this line still had plenty of pressure behind it, meaning that the fluid must have been coming from a high point in the transmission (Higher than the valve body at least). I installed the new filter as quick as possible and slapped that line back on there. Zipped up the tranny pan and started to fill the tranny. I tried to drain the torque converter, but the drain bolt was torqued so tight I was worried about shearing the head off with my super human strength and my breaker bar. ;)

THIS IS THE STRANGE PART! The tranny took about 3 1/2 quarts fine (Much more than that came out) but after that, fluid started coming out the hole for the dipstick. OK, I'll just crank the engine, run it through the gears, and make the tranny suck in all that fluid... NOPE. She didn't take one drop, and the car didn't even try to move in any gear. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is that line that I removed now has air in it and fluid on both sides, trapping the air and effectively clogging the line. This might prevent tranny fluid that enters via the torque converter (Bell housing technically) from making it to the valve body. I think the torque converter is totally full, and there isn't a single drop in the rest of the tranny.

Any ideas, please... This is extremely urgent as this is my main mode of transportation.

Tomorrow when I get a chance I'm gonna drop the pan again, take off that line, let the fluid drain through a little then stick it back on (Hopefully without any air in it this time).

Yeah, it is typical for a LOT of extra fluid to come out of the pipe.

As far as the ATF not going all the way down the drain tube, really stupid question, but you didn't put it in the differential tube, did you?

Not sure how many trans rubber lines there are, but "burping" the lines by sort of squeezing or massaging them may/should help get the air out of there (which I will assume you already know?)
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Yeah, it is typical for a LOT of extra fluid to come out of the pipe.

As far as the ATF not going all the way down the drain tube, really stupid question, but you didn't put it in the differential tube, did you?

Oh my GOD.

I did.

Jesus Christ, I feel like a retard... I'm gonna have to get that fluid out of there somehow! Maybe a hand pump or something.....

The diff takes GL-5, correct? Think this tranny fluid will mess it all up? There's obviously gonna be a little left over residue when I'm done pumping all the ATF out. I'll check at work for something to pump that out with. Man, do I feel stupid! It even says DIFF on the dipstick... What a dubba...

Don't worry, you're not the first. Certainly won't be the last!

You can drain it right out, there's a rather large plug 20mm on the underside of the diff. It shouldn't cause a problem to just take it all out, and replace it with new gear oil. GL-5 is correct.

Well, I'm certainly glad to know it was something that simple. At first, it sounded like a rather complicated problem. :)

Well, I drained the diff and put some 80wt GL-5 oil in there, hopefully the diff isn't messed up.

The tranny's still a bit low on fluid (I ran out), but it already shifts way smoother. I can tell it needs a little more fluid, but al in all it's alot better than it was. Thanks again guys.

Eh. I would think the diff should be fine. A little more tranny fluid and you're all set! :)

Archived