LegacyGT.com

getting codes for '95 Legacy 2.2 -

hi

My check engine light is on. Never ran into this before so assume I know nothing.

The car is 1995 so I am guessing this is OBD I.

* where can I get a reader to plug in?

* where do I find the codes once I can read anything?

* is the plug right above the hood latch handle?? 8 pin?

Is the 95 like any other year in regard to retrieving and reading codes??

thanks for your time!

john - MA

Oh, thank Subaru for being ahead of the game (at one point in time). Because they redesigned the Legacy in 95, they put OBDII diagnostics in there to keep things easy for next 3 years.

So, you'll have a plug near your knee on the drivers underside of the dash. It's behind a little door.

Even though Autozone will say blah blah blah, it's not OBDII, show them the plug, and convince them to plug it in. It's the only way you are going to get codes out of the car.

That should work just fine. If it doesn't give definitions of the codes, just write it down, and search it up. Or, let us know what the code is.

I am putting my money on the knock sensor code.

OK -still working on this

a) the Check Engine light went off last week and has not been back on

b) borrowed an OBD II scanner and hooked it up. Seemed to work fine

and came back with P0325 which the manual, under Generic, says is Knock Sensor as was predicted.

What do I do now??? What is a knock sensor?? Will it eventually fail in some way that will cause the car to run poorly??

My other goal is passing inspection in July and if the CE light is On, I lose.

Thanks for your help!

john

The CEL on and off intermittantly is a sure sign its the knock sensor. Don't worry! It's not a big deal, and the car will run even if it's bad. The car just won't run to its full potential.

Changing this, is very simple. It's located on top of the engine, on the Driver's side. It is pretty hidden, so you may have to look pretty hard to find it. Just unplug the harness, and the bolt in the middle, and there you have it. The hardest part, is putting the bolt back in because it is tough if you have big hands. You can't really reach all the way down there.

Picture of Knock Sensor Location:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/brandon12284/IMG_0952.jpg

thank you SO much for going to the trouble of posting a picture!!

Assuming I can remove and install OK, is this a dealer-only item or can I walk into the local auto parts store and have him dig one up??

While the light has not been on since last Thursday (200 miles or so), when I take off cold, I get a brief hesitation I do not remember before.

thanks again!:)

john

No problem. Pretty sure I've referenced that picture a few times, so it's been put to use!

You can go to any parts store and get an OEM style one, which will do just fine. The picture you provided, that would be the one. I'm pretty sure they are the same through like 3 generations, so it isn't that hard to find.

Archived