LegacyGT.com

low comprestion in 2nd and 4th cylender

In response to his question regarding why there is lower compression in Cylinders 2 and 4, before he tears down his engine. I figure I ask if he has ever used the Cobb AP before the update map. The old map was causing 2 and 4 to fail.

Whatever the map was, prior to version 1.18, as someone pointed out in another thread:

link:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111117

Scroll down to the last post.

You're drawing wrong conclusions. These engines fail to variety of reasons, even on stock tune. Cyl #2 & #4 are most prone to develop issues. According to some tuners it's the belt stretch that makes them more prone to detonation. Bad tank of gas, heatsoak, stars alingned wrong, and kaboom - engine dets and looses ringland(s)... my stocker cracked ringland in #4 on stock tune!

Care to give details on your situation? Model, year, mileage, state of tune, situation behind deciding to do a compression test, etc.?

To rao's point, it's all speculation without a teardown, but speculate we can :)

Subaru legacy 1990 315000miles stock tuned just replaced head gasket. car will turn over but wont catch checked spark and fuel has both and compression was last on my list so any ideas why comprestion would be desperately low?

Check the oil and see if there's any coolant in it. If so, it's a head gasket for sure. If the engine consumes oil rapidly without any external leakage, it's probably the rings (Although valve guides could also cause this).

My guess would be rings, but if you're gonna tear the engine down anyway you're gonna wind up replacing the rings and the head gaskets anyway... Ever think of just getting another Legacy? Don't get me wrong, I love my EJ22 powered 1992, but if I started to lose compression I'd probably get another car. It's not that I wouldn't love to rebuild it (I have had many a fantasy about building the EJ22 up from the inside out) but I wouldn't have the time. I'd still need to go to work everyday, and without transportation this would be impossible.

If you have just done the head gaskets, and now you are losing compression on two cylinders, my guess would be something wrong with the installation of the gaskets.

If the car was running OK before, well maybe not running OK, as then you wouldn't have done the gaskets, but at least running, then that would be the first indication.

Also, although it's not impossible, for two ring packs to fail at the same time is more than a coincidence, possible but unlikely.

Whatever the map was, prior to version 1.18, as someone pointed out in another thread:

link:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111117

Scroll down to the last post.

sorry, I should have been more clear in that post. as unclemat said, that wasnt necessarily causing cylinders to fail, but it probably didn't help.

I don't think an AccessPort was applicable in this situation....LOL being a 1990 and all. Wow....315000 miles....just amazing....and you actually want more from this car....???
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I don't think an AccessPort was applicable in this situation....LOL being a 1990 and all. Wow....315000 miles....just amazing....and you actually want more from this car....???

yeah i kinda want it to fun forever lol but really i need this car its my only one well besides the other subaru legacy i have lol its my parts car same year but if i can fix it and make it run longer i will im determined to get it to 400+

Archived