LegacyGT.com

Engine swap - EJ22 to EJ25

I've got a 93 legacy with an EJ22 SOHC and it has developed a rod knock. I purchased a '99 EJ25 SOHC long block and I am contemplating simply swapping the long block into my car and using the EJ22 intake, ECU, Wiring Harness & Sensors. Is there any reason why this won't work effectively?

Thanks,

Jason

I assume you did not get the ECU to the EJ253? it isnt as easy as using the harness the cam position sensors are different the compression ratio is different they are different engines. You will need to either the the harness and ECU from the donor car or research and see how others have done this swap

Now that I'm a little clearer on some of these discrepancies and have investigated the differences between some of the control systems I have a few more questions.

No I did not get the EJ253 ECU, only the long block. Unfortunate, but I'll make due.

Is it just a difference in the cam position sensor or the crank sensor as well? If there are differences, is it a difference in the actual trigger pattern? This seems a bit odd.

Jason

Now that I'm a little clearer on some of these discrepancies and have investigated the differences between some of the control systems I have a few more questions.

No I did not get the EJ253 ECU, only the long block. Unfortunate, but I'll make due.

Is it just a difference in the cam position sensor or the crank sensor as well? If there are differences, is it a difference in the actual trigger pattern? This seems a bit odd.

Jason

The EJ253 Heads are slightly different the "3" in EJ253 and the "1" in EJ251 denote the difference in some aspect of the engine there is a table that has all the differences I know 7 means STI 5 mean MPFI i forgot what 3 and 1 mean the cam position triggers may be different im not quite sure find that table and youll know quickly what you need to change but for the most part it is still a simple swap

Archived