LegacyGT.com

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Fuel Gage not working

My $145 Subaru that I picked up does not register fuel level at the fuel gauge. Does anyone know about these systems? I have read other places that owners have had trouble with the gauge registering accurately. Should I look at the fuel sender, float, or the actual gauge in the cluster? Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the cuprit. Is there a dedicated fuse or relay for the fuel gauge?

I have not had such a problem with my car, but I have had similar problems in other cars. First, I would check the sender. This seems to be the cause of most problems (Or so it seems for the cars I've owned). Next I'd say the wires for the sender, then the guage, then the float.

One thing you could do is simply use your trip meter, then fill your tank every 150 - 200 miles. Once you've done this a couple times, check how much fuel you put in every fill up and adjust the mileage you go before filling from there.

Yes, check the sender first before you consider the gauge. Also you might want to turn the key to the AUX position and listen to hear if the fuel pump is whining or making any weird noises. This often is a sign that your fuel pump is about to go... For reference I once had a Grand Prix (I know different company!) that had this exact problem and the fuel pump had to be replaced not soon after. Never had this problem on my LGT or other Subies though... Good Luck!

Archived