LegacyGT.com

Transmission to hold 600-700whp

frkkevin

I've got a 5EAT.. thought about really doing the built IPT trans but they rate it at 500whp?

What are your thoughts about just flat out converting the car to RWD and using a GM transmission. I know the haters will be out for losing AWD.. but it just seems easier at those power levels.

I'm pretty sure the cost to swap to a GM tranny vs doing a 6MT swap would be significant. Auto to Auto vs Auto to Manual..

Anyone know of any subie to do this?

http://gallery.me.com/careybales/100390/_MG_2514/web.jpg

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

I'm sure it can be done, they bolt th400s to supras

just depends on how much you really want to spend, but i guess if you plan to make 700hp money isn't an issue. The pro's to it will be that you can run a better rear end and axles (would need new hubs, or a hybrid axle with the correct spline pattern for our hubs and the rear end), but really this sort of thing is for the straight line. So if that's your goal....go ahead and do a minitub too :lol:

Well i'd have to change the rear diff soon anyway. i doubt the r160 will hold up well on 500whp let alone more

my concern is how to make a starter work with a gm trans.. the tq converter issue would not be so bad

I'm just wondering now cost/effectiveness vs this and a 6MT swap..

Videos -

-

Easy, build an adapter plate out of 1/4" hot-rolled 1018, use grade 8 stainless fasteners, and a custom flex-plate.

Honestly, you could even consider a solid rear axle conversion. Tub out the rear fenderwells, and go for broke.

I don't think the fundamental problem is choosing the wrong car, I think it's choosing the wrong motor. Swap an LSV8 into the car and you'll be all set. You could run OEM Corvette running gear too. You wouldn't be the first Subaru with a V8 under the hood.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

the car and the motor is not the issue.. even if i chose a different car to start with i'd still run into issues running that high of power unless i spend bookoos of money on the car to begin with

i found a machined plate already from 1/2" aluminum that will adapt it to a gm tranny.. thats the one in the pic actually

either way the diff would need replaced by just doing a 6MT swap.

and earlier i said cost effective.. as in either of the two being the cheaper option but both yielding good results

**edit**

also on the mention of the wrong car.. if more people wanted to push these things and upgrade to high power levels there would be more support for parts to hold up :) .. its not because of the car.. its because of the lack of people wanting to invest time and money into the car.. no point in a vendor making something only for a few people to buy a year.. its not a good business choice :)

Videos -

-

also on the mention of the wrong car.. if more people wanted to push these things and upgrade to high power levels there would be more support for parts to hold up :) .. its not because of the car.. its because of the lack of people wanting to invest time and money into the car.. no point in a vendor making something only for a few people to buy a year.. its not a good business choice :)

No, its the wrong car. Don't get me wrong, with enough money, you can build any car to do just about anything. But the numbers will never be there for a supplier to find it profitable to make the parts you are describing in mass production. A 500-600rwhp Legacy will always be a one off project. You are exactly right, there is a distinct lack of people wanting to invest money into this platform for such goals. Now, an f-body, fox body... plenty of cheap parts for that platform to achieve your goals, albeit at a esthetic expense.:lol:

Having a 9 second Honda Civic, I can tell you there are better import cars out there to start a project with.

Keep this as your daily driver and buy a better project car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Damn thats a lot of power and are you really prepared to spend that much money if youre already looking for a cheap option to handle 700whp? Like you cant skimp on that stuff or youll just be spending money to get it fixed every other pass on the track. a 700awhp Subbie would be neat but to make that work youll need to follow the direction of that other guy unless you are him that gutted his STI and made it a one off drag car cage and all

Having a 9 second Honda Civic, I can tell you there are better import cars out there to start a project with.

Keep this as your daily driver and buy a better project car.

maybe so but the lgt isnt far off from the wrx/sti and theres plenty of 10sec wrx/sti cars..plus it will only bring more support to lgt community.

frkkevin you should give ipt a call if you haven't already. IIRC and don't quote me 100% on this but I thought someone said that IPT said the fully built tranny was good for like 600-700hp. Like I said thats what I thought someone said after talking to one of the guys at IPT but like I said I could be wrong so I would go straight to the source. But im pretty sure that the fully built ipt tranny could handle 550whp which like you said you should make if you max out the red. Just wondering why do you want to know if it can hold 600-700hp any aspirations of going bigger:lol:. Good luck with the build im really looking foward to see the red maxed out:)

600whp is insane for the street. I need a ride in something that can actually put that power down. Last time i got a ride in a 500whp supra it was like being on ice till end of 3rd gear.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

600whp is insane for the street. I need a ride in something that can actually put that power down. Last time i got a ride in a 500whp supra it was like being on ice till end of 3rd gear.

Most 600whp Subaru's are like driving on ice till the end of 1st with a 5-speed, and 2nd with a 6-speed.

One of my friends made 624whp in his 07 STi Limited and took me for a ride. I was thinking "man, this is actually kind of slow" during our 1-2 pull. Then I looked in the mirror and saw plumes of tire smoke. It was sweet. Later that day he ran an 11.1... on snow tires.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived