LegacyGT.com

looking for some modding advice

shaneomac1602

I bought my 05 LGT about 2 months ago, and I'm trying to decide what's best to do next. when I bought it, it came with: Magnaflow CBE, Perrin 1 piece dp, K&N drop in filter, white HIDs in the headlights and yellow HIDs in the ground lights. once I bought it I installed an Apexi turbo timer. I'm thinking about installing an SPT intake with heatshield, getting it retuned for it at the dealer, then an HKS SSQ. but after that I'm not sure. not looking for a lot of power, but a low 13 second car would be perfect. what would you suggest?

also, I have built several turbo cars, and I know the first things you want to do is let the turbo breathe. so you need to replace the intake and exhaust. Both for more power, and to put less strain in the turbo. why is that different on the LGT?I have 2 buddies that have 06 and 07 WRX's and they both have SPT intakes and had the ecu retuned for them at the dealer. both have about 15k-20k miles on them, and neither have had any ill effects. thus the reason I want an spt intake.

Your car has an up-pipe, I assure you. :) It's upstream of the turbo, it connects the exhaust manifold to the turbocharger's exhaust inlet. The only question is, do you have a stock up-pipe or aftermarket?

The stock Legacy intake is pretty good. Far as I know, nobody with just exhaust mods has gotten measurable gains after upgrading it. The WRX SPT intake might be a fine piece, but dig into follow the link I sent above before you buy a Legacy SPT intake.

Also, I forgot to mention an intercooler upgrade. The stock IC has failed at the boost levels that are well within the normal range for a BL/BP Legacy with upgraded up-pipe and down-pipe. If you search this site for "blown intercooler end tank" (or variations on that theme) you'll find more information.

AVO and Perrin make good ICs, and there's a thread somewhere around here that has pictures of a homebrew IC that looks to me like it's going to work out very well. Find it and keep an eye on it.

Your car has an up-pipe, I assure you. :) It's upstream of the turbo, it connects the exhaust manifold to the turbocharger's exhaust inlet. The only question is, do you have a stock up-pipe or aftermarket?

The stock Legacy intake is pretty good. Far as I know, nobody with just exhaust mods has gotten measurable gains after upgrading it. The WRX SPT intake might be a fine piece, dig into follow the link I sent above before I buy a Legacy SPT intake.

Also, I forgot to mention an intercooler upgrade. The stock IC has failed at the boost levels that are well within the normal range for a BL/BP Legacy with upgraded up-pipe and down-pipe. If you search this site for "blown intercooler end tank" (or variations on that theme) you'll find more information.

AVO and Perrin make good ICs, and there's a thread somewhere around here that has pictures of a homebrew IC that looks to me like it's going to work out very well. Find it an keep an eye on it.

^ Listen to this guy.

hmmm, I've never worked with an exhaust manifold that didn't connect straight to the turbo, so now I understand what you mean by up pipe. ill take a look at it when I get home. I think for now I'm just going to remove the silencer on the intake and plug the hole for it.

well i just spent the last 3 hours researching the Cobb Accessport. im new to LGT's, so i had to do some homework on it. i just have to say it is just an absolutely amazing tool to have, and i am definitally going to be picking up a version 2.0 in the next couple months. got a few things to tae care of first.

well I had some free time this morning and checked under the car. I have a stainless up pipe on it, and the silencer on my intake is already removed. it looks like on my up pipe there are two bungs. the lower one has a plug in it, and the upper one has a sensor in it, but the wire coming from it is cut off about 6 inches off of it. my lgt runs fine, no lights on. any ideas to what this sensor is? and why is the other one plugged?

my roomate has an 07 wrx tr with an spt intake, and spt cbe tuned at the dealer, and he said my lgt is definitally faster than his. he said it pulls harder. I only drove his a few times, a while back so I can't remember off hand how hard his pulls

An OpenPort or AccessPort, plus a laptop, would let you find out how much boost you're running. From there we could probably guessimate what sort of tune is on your car. Sounds to me like you have an UP and a DP and a corresponding "stage 2" tune though.

The stock UP has an EGT sensor in it. I'm guessing that's what you're seeing. It's not unusual to disconnect that and use a resistor, but usually that also includes taking out the EGT sensor. I dunno why an UP would have two bungs in it.

An OP or AP would also show whether your EGT sensor is still connected - if the EGT never changes, there's a resistor wired in where the sensor used to be.

I'm going to be picking up a laptop for a datalogger very soon, and ill post up what it says. also, I am planning on picking up an accessport in the next couple months. hopefully then we can see what is actually going on inside. I am very eager to see what is all done to this. I know it used to have gauges in it, and it belonged to a "James P. Larsen" who lived somewhere near Lake Park IL.

Archived