LegacyGT.com

Systems mostly picked out, but... JL or Focal...

brock sampson

JL or Focal  

11 members have voted

1. 1. JL or Focal

• JL c5-650x
    • Focal Polyglass 165cv

So I've come up with this as my tentative set up for the system:

HU Interface:

Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro

Sub:

JL 12w6

Amps:

JL 500/1

JL 300/4

Speakers:

front - JL c5-650x $290

rear - JL tr650-cxi $90

Question is would I be better off getting the JL's or a set of Focal Polyglass 165cv's (which I can get for $40 cheaper). Picking up coaxials for the fronts due to reading here (and cheap coaxials for the rear as fill), while doing my research for this system, that they provide better staging in the LGT, music flavors are hard rock/metal (killswitch engage, lamb of god) as well as alot of classic rock and some rap.

I worked at sound advice for 2 yrs.. Jl is great for everyday listening.. If your going for soundquality and the ability to crank the living day lights out of your mids and highs then go focal .. I Have 165v2s components in front and 165cv coaxial in rear doors powered by Soundstream rubicon and MTX REQ as soundprocessor.. Focal makes better mids and highs, Jl has better Subwoofers and amps.. Just my opinion from experience.. Focal are pretty hard to blow and take ubuse very well. I like the sound quality better on focal.. Midbass is solid and tweet scream with out piercing your ears like JL..

I have had both JL and focal. Now this is going back 5-6 yrs on the Focal but there cones became very brittle after a yr in my truck. Store replaced them and they did it again. Im not sure if it was a design problem or I was getting extreme moisture near the speaker. None the less for 500 bucks they should have been more durable. They did sound good new but didnt blow me away. I still have the JL's and they are holding up fine, they sound decent but are probably under powered right now so I cant say for sure. I will never buy Focal again, I think for the money u can find better speakers.

I have had mine 4yrs with Florida humidity and heat and no problems so far.. Recently checked speakers when removing door panels to fix window motors not working and still like new, no cracks . I have the polyglass ones and carbon fiber coaxials

I'm open to suggestions, just those two are in my general price range, put together the system initially with my cousin going all JL, but doing some reading on people taking focal over the JL's for speakers. Not trying to spend over $300 on the fronts ($290 for the JL's, $250 for the Focal's, both ebay prices new).

Dont laugh but the top of the line pioneer component set is supposed to rather good for the money and has beat speakers costing twice as much in car stereo shoot outs. Believe me I have spent 5-6k on car audio and the sound difference is very minimal to stereo's costing half that much. They only way the top of the line stuff is worth it is if u r competing in car audio. Driving around and day to day...save ur money just buy decent/reliable stereo components and u will be happy. As far as my focal cones cracking? They where made from kevlar I believe? So unless they have changed there cone material why chance it. I had 2 sets with the same result each time.

I like my infinity 60.9s, they sound pretty dang go and have great mid and high range with some decent low range (Until I get my sub installed). I got them for 150 shipped from an ebay seller. It was all brand new sealed in the box.

I had the JL components in another car and am running the Focal 165 VR3 Polyglass 3-way kit now. I agree with darkside, and parts of what ripsweetness said about the brands:

Jl is great for everyday listening.. If your going for soundquality and the ability to crank the living day lights out of your mids and highs then go focal...Focal makes better mids and highs, Jl has better Subwoofers and amps...Focal are pretty hard to blow and take ubuse very well. I like the sound quality better on focal.. Midbass is solid and tweet scream with out piercing your ears like JL.

I have had both JL and focal. Now this is going back 5-6 yrs on the Focal but there cones became very brittle after a yr in my truck. Store replaced them and they did it again. Im not sure if it was a design problem or I was getting extreme moisture near the speaker. None the less for 500 bucks they should have been more durable. They did sound good new but didnt blow me away.

When I got the Focals, the center cap on the cone of one of the 4" speakers detached and fell off prior to installation. I had it sent back. They returned it...superglued back on, or so it seemed. Now they're in a kick panel with the tweeters, so we'll see how they do with a grill in front of them. But, sound quality wise...

Go with the Focal speakers. Granted I used to love the punch of the mids and crispness of the tweeter in the old MB Quart Comp line, but I think the JL tweeter is both non-metallic and harsh, which isn't a good combination. The mids are fairly absent and I blew 5 or 6 pairs of them, so...NOT durable. The Focals are incredibly BALANCED in sound, but I can't compare the old amps to the new one, which I would also suggest to you; JL HD600/4. The tweeter is very balanced and the mid moves well, though I can bottom it out w the Focal xover distributing one channel of the HD600.

When I started buying audio for the Legacy and asked for a new set of JLs to blow in this car, my audio dealer/friend, who carries both products and has seen many sets installed in different vehicles, suggested these Focal Polyglass. I'm not saying they're the greatest, but they sound better than the JL fronts I used to have.

I will also agree that the metal tweeters of Focal can be a bit on the harsh/bright side. I'm partial to CDT and their silk tweeters.

Quality coax in the door is a good start, but you may end up with the localization affect where the soundstage is near the floor. Check out the CDT upstage kit to add a second set of tweeters in the door handle position. This will move your soundstage up and forward. Your ears will be happier. :)

I will also agree that the metal tweeters of Focal can be a bit on the harsh/bright side. I'm partial to CDT and their silk tweeters.

Quality coax in the door is a good start, but you may end up with the localization affect where the soundstage is near the floor. Check out the CDT upstage kit to add a second set of tweeters in the door handle position. This will move your soundstage up and forward. Your ears will be happier. :)

I might look into this a little later depending on how satisfied I am when it gets installed, FWIW I went with the JL's due to finding them at a lower price, my cousin's advice, and that I'm not really a big fan of titanium tweeters from what I've heard. Thanks for the input everybody. Installation is going to be next week, got a quote for around $700 for a custom box and amp rack (keeping most of the trunk and spare tire), includes installing a Viper 5901 and dynamating the doors/trunk, will let ya'll (I've been in Texas too long :spin:) know how it sounds when its finished.

Yeah thats everything, box/dynamat/alarm/stereo installed. I'll post pics of the finished product when it gets done, which will hopefully be next week if I get all the parts in. Designs supposed to take about a foot from the back of the seats (all the way across I believe), keeping most of the trunk and spare tire. Goal was to be able to still fit a couple sets of golf clubs.

thats a crazy fee :(

I don't think it's unreasonable, that includes the $125 for the dynamat itself, and the $100-$200 I would have to pay for the wireing kit (don't have in hand). Idealy I would have liked to build my own box (as I have no experiance with wiring of sort) but I don't have any of the tools/space :(. I went around to a few places here and got quotes from $800 to well north of $1000, this just happened to be the most professional of the bunch and had the lowest price, go figure, installer loved the car though :p.

Other brands of dampening run about $2/sqft. The price your paying would be over 60sqft. I used less than 50sqft to do most of the vehicle, I hope that's what they'll be doing?

The custom sub-enclosure and amp rack are the bulk of the cost. The 12W6 is the challenge, if you went with the 10W6 any of the pre-fabbed enclosures will work. Then bolt the amps under the seats and get to wiring... The technical part is installing the Alpine hub, but a wiring diagram should make that a snap. :)

Archived