LegacyGT.com

Drove a buddy's 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS tonight

So a buddy of mine traded his orange Lotus Exige on a low mile GT3 RS. He came by tonight to show it to us and asked me if I wanted to drive and tossed me the key and told me to have fun. HELL YES!!

The car is surprisingly docile compared to other hi-strung N/A cars I've driven. The suspension was firm but nothing like some of the 12kg JDM coilover equipped cars I've been in that had no compliance at all.

The sound of the exhaust is to die for. I kept it under 6k rpm...it was dusk, not my car and didn't want to end up buying it if I wrecked it. The power was quite linear...I found the steering to be very communicative and the chassis has supreme amounts of grip. I'm coming from a mostly bone stock '08 STI and a 240whp MCS on Cross/JIC coilovers with A048's.....quite different cars to be sure but with elevated limits over normal cars. The Porsche didn't feel "heavy'" to me in this context, but I understand my buddy's point of view coming from his Lotus. I quite enjoyed the shifter...it's pivot point was MUCH higher than any other car I've driven. Very light action but direct throws and no chance to miss a gear.

After driving it, I LOVED it but I can also understand when my buddy says it's 'heavy and not much feedback' after having owned the Exige and an Elise before that. It's an adjustment for him....he was in love with the Lotus but likes to switch cars often.

To be sure, the GT3 RS has been hyped as the ultimate 911. Perhaps the hype was correct but, no car is a panacea....pros/cons to every single one so it's natural to be a bit let down (not because it's not a wonderful car, but because it's just plain different than the 'norm' for the owner).

For me, I fit in the RS....something I couldn't do with the Exige (though the OP swears I would fit). That alone would justify it's purchase over the Lotus, though I'm far too practical to own either (even if I could get the wife's ok and not bounce the check ).

guess I should post a pic eh? new on the left, old on the right.

http://i44.tinypic.com/16jphz5.jpg

This is the same guy with the blue STI with naked lady mudflaps and the crunched 993 turbo?

Othwerise trading in orange exiges on black and orange GT3RS became really popular

PGT, I used to follow a lot of your threads and advice when I had my MINI and was on NAM. I'm assuming you managed to sell it? Last September I told that place and those people to go f0ck themselves after the raft of shit I got for saying I wanted a LGT. Guess to them the R53 is the be all, end all of cars.

This is the same guy with the blue STI with naked lady mudflaps and the crunched 993 turbo?

Othwerise trading in orange exiges on black and orange GT3RS became really popular

yep

Nothing says class like naked lady mudflaps

it's a joke. as in you don't expect them on a Subaru

PGT, I used to follow a lot of your threads and advice when I had my MINI and was on NAM. I'm assuming you managed to sell it? Last September I told that place and those people to go f0ck themselves after the raft of shit I got for saying I wanted a LGT. Guess to them the R53 is the be all, end all of cars.

NAM is NAM. There's a new forum coming next week....one done right. Problem is, there will still be douchebag owners....hopefully you'll finally be able to call them out for such there and not get banned.

and yes, sold the MINI to Carmax in October. I miss it a little, but it wasn't getting driven and I'm very happy with my STI.

Archived