LegacyGT.com

Better Blank Rotors?

nm

So after 6 track days and 1 year (about 25k mi) I need a new brake rotor. I'm getting some small amounts of cracking, and I'm not running them in another track day. I have the OEM rotor as it was the only thing I could find when i really really needed new rotors last time.

I'm looking for blank (more pad wear and more cracking for more money, where do I sign?), 1 piece rotors (needed for AX classing) that maybe will last a bit longer. I run XP10s on the track (though I may go XP12 next time in the front) and HPS on the street.

I've searched around, and I've heard some references to DBA 4000 blanks, but I can't find any. Any other suggestions?

Otherwise, what's a decent "cheap" (relative to OEM) that will last a similar period.

Jeebus, I can get OEM rotors from fred beans for $100 less (with shipping). Are these going to last roughly twice as long?

Honestly, 6 track days isn't horrible, I just always want more.

What do you preopleb think of frozen rotors?

I've heard of some good results on light cars (gutted civics) and no improvments on heavy cars (say an audi S4), so I lean toward not worth it, but opinions would be nice.

Magnetic1 sells some really affordable blank type rotors. Check him out www.brakeswap.com

+1 one the brakeswap blanks ...sounds like what you're looking for...basically OEM but solid quality. I'm finding more "weekend warrior" track guys slap on good, but not terribly expensive, rotors as they know they're just going to go through them just like pads.

I had DBA 4000 and they did fine too...reasonably priced, a slight bit better than stock.

Now, I do believe curved vane 2-piece will give you better cooling, but, that's $600 out of your pocket for 2 rotors and $400 (+$50 for hardware) to replace the outer rings when you wear them out.

How are your rotors "cracking"? (Also, have you measured the actual thickness of the rotor?) Why I ask, is mine got a bunch of surface cracks on them from the track. I was all worried, but one of the companies I buy brake supplies from say that can be fairly normal (not deep structural cracks, and not ones at say, the slots that are probably structural, but just surface "scally" type cracks). I think guys like Xenonk have gotten the same type of thing.

napa 60 bucks

+1

Napa/Kragen/Autozone blanks work just fine for me.

They held up fine on my MR2 with EBC Redstuff pads through multiple track days.

I have a set of blanks for the Legacy sitting at home, will throw them on when school ends.

+1 one the brakeswap blanks ...sounds like what you're looking for...basically OEM but solid quality. I'm finding more "weekend warrior" track guys slap on good, but not terribly expensive, rotors as they know they're just going to go through them just like pads.

I had DBA 4000 and they did fine too...reasonably priced, a slight bit better than stock.

Now, I do believe curved vane 2-piece will give you better cooling, but, that's $600 out of your pocket for 2 rotors and $400 (+$50 for hardware) to replace the outer rings when you wear them out.

How are your rotors "cracking"? (Also, have you measured the actual thickness of the rotor?) Why I ask, is mine got a bunch of surface cracks on them from the track. I was all worried, but one of the companies I buy brake supplies from say that can be fairly normal (not deep structural cracks, and not ones at say, the slots that are probably structural, but just surface "scally" type cracks). I think guys like Xenonk have gotten the same type of thing.

Any pics of the cracking? As Andrew says, it might be normal. We have the really generic non-coated blanks for even less. $150 shipped for the pair.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Any pics of the cracking? As Andrew says, it might be normal. We have the really generic non-coated blanks for even less. $150 shipped for the pair.

I gotta swap some wheels next weekend and I'll take some pictures.

I cracked DBA4000s in 3 track days and about 5,000 street miles with HP+ pads.

I've upgraded to Brembos but went with el-cheapo blanks for it and we'll see how they work out.

$150 for the generic blanks shipped isn't bad. At our shop (AZP Installs) we stock for the legacies in the front Raybestos Rotors and so far they have been holding up well for our customers and they are in that $150 price range as well, so support the sponsors of the site and get the blanks from brakeswap.com.

I will take some good pics of the DBA 4000s that I trashed out in 4 track days and post em up.

-mike

Archived