LegacyGT.com

Need help: Tuning/logging for dummies.

zmarko

And I mean me as the dummy. So patience will be necessary to deal with me in here. :lol:

I need some help with getting set up for logging and swapping out maps (tuning will be done by Infamous1). I'm very mechanically inclined, but I'm terrible at Computer software. And by terrible, I mean moron. :lol: I'm going to be going to a Stage 2 tune soon, and want to be ready.

I've been doing a lot of reading in here over the past few weeks, and it's all very overwhelming (even the basic logging thread). Wrenching on cars isn't a problem, but tuning is. I just don't get it, doesn't make sense to me.

I've purchased a tactrix cable (Openport 2.0), and have my laptop here (brand new, running Vista, blah blah blah). I'm just not sure what software to use. In Infamous1's tuning thread, they talk about this.....

But in the Data Logging: A Basic How To thread, they talk about software from Tari.

This walkthrough is designed to be used with the TARI RACING SOFTWARE, available FREE at http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1125302367

So which one do I use? I'm embarrassed that I sound like a complete idiot in this respect, but I'm not embarrassed enough to ask for help because I know I'm gonna need it. So I thank everyone in advance, and apologize if it seems elementary to some but isn't to me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tari link is dead, so that answers your question. :)

Get EcuFlash 1.41. That and OpenPort will let you upload and download your tunes.

Use EcuFlash or RomRaider to edit maps.

Use RomRaider for logging.

EDIT: The Tari software was EcuExplorer. It was one of the first free software projects that interfaced with Subarus, but it has not been updated for a long time. RomRaider and EcuFlash are the primary tools these days.

The Tari link is dead, so that answers your question. :)

Get EcuFlash 1.41. That and OpenPort will let you upload and download your tunes.

Use EcuFlash or RomRaider to edit maps.

Use RomRaider for logging.

EDIT: The Tari software was EcuExplorer. It was one of the first free software projects that interfaced with Subarus, but it has not been updated for a long time. RomRaider and EcuFlash are the primary tools these days.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. That clears up some confusion on my part. :)

Ok, I've got ECU Flash downloaded, and installed, and the FTDI stuff downloaded (haven't installed/run it yet, because I wasn't sure I should :confused: ). Do I need to install/run the FTDI program?

And I'm DL'ing the RomRaider software now. Is "0.5.1b RC5" the latest version? I noticed it was released in November, and I just want to make sure I have the latest version.

EDIT--shit, looks like the link to "0.5.1b RC5" is not longer active. Looks like I'll have to find a newer version, or active link somewhere.

Use this one. You will need it for Open port 2.0 cable (assuming you have one for your 08).

Get learning view as well.

When you download Romraider you will need the definitions files as well. These will be XML files that you will need to reference after you install Romraider.

Latest ECU defs Latest logger defs

Ok, I've got all that DL'ed but I haven't installed yet, as I wasn't sure if there was a specific order in which to install these things.

Do all these programs work independently, or in conjunction with each other?

I really do apologize for being an idiot when it comes to this stuff, and appreciate everyone's help.

Oh, and yes, I have the OpenPort 2.0 cable here with me.

Ok, I've got all that DL'ed but I haven't installed yet, as I wasn't sure if there was a specific order in which to install these things.

Do all these programs work independently, or in conjunction with each other?

I really do apologize for being an idiot when it comes to this stuff, and appreciate everyone's help.

Oh, and yes, I have the OpenPort 2.0 cable here with me.

Don't worry about it. I was going through the same thing last week. I haven't posted my logs yet though.

Here's what I did. I DL'd and installed RR and ECUFlash first, even before I got my cable.

I then followed the instructions here to install ECU definitions

Then I followed the instructions here to install Logger definitions

And then I followed the instructions here to install the ECUFlash ECU definitions

If I remember correctly, I installed RR first and then ECUFlash, but I don't think it makes a difference.

Not positive if they work with eachother, but they defi work independently. I have run some WOT 2nd and 3rd gear runs to redline, and will be starting a new thread to see what people think. I am also trying to get to know Airboy's excell spreadsheet so I can view my info easier.

Don't worry about it. I was going through the same thing last week. I haven't posted my logs yet though.

Here's what I did. I DL'd and installed RR and ECUFlash first, even before I got my cable.

I then followed the instructions here to install ECU definitions

Then I followed the instructions here to install Logger definitions

And then I followed the instructions here to install the ECUFlash ECU definitions

If I remember correctly, I installed RR first and then ECUFlash, but I don't think it makes a difference.

Not positive if they work with eachother, but they defi work independently. I have run some WOT 2nd and 3rd gear runs to redline, and will be starting a new thread to see what people think. I am also trying to get to know Airboy's excell spreadsheet so I can view my info easier.

Thanks for your help. This has helped me so far quite a bit. Quick question, are the things I've highlighted above, the first step (ECU definitions) and the last step (ECUFlash ECU definitions) the same thing? Or are they different?

EDIT--nevermind, I see that they're different. $10 says I blow up my car's ECU. :lol:

Yes they are different. One set of ECU definitions is for RR and the other set is for ECUFlash. I used ECUFlash to read my stock ROM, and so far have used RR to log data.

All three of the things you highlighted are independent of each other, and need to be done.

Yes they are different. One set of ECU definitions is for RR and the other set is for ECUFlash. I used ECUFlash to read my stock ROM, and so far have used RR to log data.

All three of the things you highlighted are independent of each other, and need to be done.

Thanks man. Got all that done. Now I just need to learn how to log. Off to read more I guess. :spin::lol:

Don't worry. once you get that first datalog, it'll wanna explode again cause you are gonna have to find out what all the values mean.

This is about where I'm at...and I'm using an AP which I'm pretty sure means that I can't log knock characteristics...

Any links that explain what the values mean?

This thread is pretty good as far as definitions

I appreciate the help, but I've read that thread and still don't feel as if I'm ready to adjust any parameters. What I'm really looking for is "increasing this will have this effect"...my other problem is that I'm using an AP as I don't have a tatrix cable...

I wasn't up for adjusting anything when I got mine either. I was lucky enough to get help with a base stage 1 map and later a base stage 2 map. After months of logging and flashing someone elses revisions and noting the changes I've been able to pick up a lot and finally have started tweaking things here and there.

Zmarko, I notice you have an 08 specb. There are 2 base maps available on the romraider forums. The 08 specb stage 1 map was developed on havanahjoes and my 08 spec b by mickeyd. The stage 2 version was developed on my spec b after gutting my cat. One of those is where you'll want to start rather than making any changes yourself.

I wasn't up for adjusting anything when I got mine either. I was lucky enough to get help with a base stage 1 map and later a base stage 2 map. After months of logging and flashing someone elses revisions and noting the changes I've been able to pick up a lot and finally have started tweaking things here and there.

Zmarko, I notice you have an 08 specb. There are 2 base maps available on the romraider forums. The 08 specb stage 1 map was developed on havanahjoes and my 08 spec b by mickeyd. The stage 2 version was developed on my spec b after gutting my cat. One of those is where you'll want to start rather than making any changes yourself.

I flashed MickeyD's Spec B rom on my friends' 08 SpecB. He loved it. Stutter was gone, power was nice and smooth. We did a couple of logs, but I don't know if he checked em out. I didn't wanna do my first flash on someone elses car, but he insisted.

Plus he called me a pussy. Peer pressure is a bitch.

Thanks man. I still haven't gotten up the courage of hooking up the laptop to the ECU. :lol:

Thanks man. I still haven't gotten up the courage of hooking up the laptop to the ECU. :lol:

It's not as daunting as it seems. The first thing I would do were I you is connect up to the car. At this point 1 or 2 additional drivers should install. Let that do its thing and you should be good to go.

At this point, I would run learning view to make sure you're connecting to the car okay, and get an idea of what the learning view looks like stock. You may not understand the info there, but save a screenshot for future reference.

From here, I would close learning view, and open ecuflash. You're only going to use ecuflash to read your cars rom (prob just once) and then to write roms to the car. I don't do anything else with ecuflash. So at this point with ecuflash open, read your cars rom. This is as easy as clicking the read from ecu button. This file is your stock rom, and you will want to save it in several places. A good idea is to email it from one of your email accounts to another so that you have it saved in sent mail and a separate inbox. I also have several local copies just incase. Reading the rom won't hurt anything or have any risk associated with it, though it will reset the ecu (same as unplugging battey). This rom file that you read can now be opened in romraider and tweaked if you wanted. I suggest just looking at the various tables in romraider and start getting an idea of what stuff looks like.

So at this point you've checked learning view, got a copy of your stock rom saved away and maybe have checked it out in romraider. At this point before getting into make any changes or flashing mickeyds map, I would get familiar with logging. For this you're going to use the romraider logger. Open that and click the dashboard tab along the bottom. You can then choose parameters to log on the left. Different people will want to see diferent parameters in your logs, but generally I use the mickeyd approved parameters which are:

AF Sensor #1

Engine Load (2-byte)

Engine Speed (RPM)

Ignition Total Timing (degrees)

Knock Sum

Manifold Relative Pressure (psi)

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (%)

Turbo Dynamics integral (2-byte)

Requested Torqe or Throttle position

After clicking all of the above, I would save it as a profile for easy future access. If everything is working, you should see data for each of those parameters above. At this point you want to try a few logs. This is also risk free as you're not writing anything to the ecu here. To start/stop a log file, simply press your rear defrost button. It will start outputting all your parameters to an excel sheet. You can set where you want that excel sheet to save in the romraider logger. I save to an sd card so I can grab it and take it inside easily.

I would do a random crusing log for 5-10 mins then stop it by hitting the rear defrost again. I would then do 2 more logs, one in 3rd gear from 2k to redline, and one in 4th gear from 2k to as far as you feel safe. You can post that data up here if you want though there is not much for anyone to see on a stock tune. Mainly you want to have a few logs of the stock car for future comparissons.

Once you've done a bunch of logging and have an idea what's going on with your car, you can look into flashing the mickeyd map(s).

Do eeet. I was scared to do my first flash on my friends car, but it came out ok, and he LOVES it. He thanks me everytime I talk to him. I've actually stopped talking to him because it's become annoying. You'll thank yourself.

I downloaded MickeyD's SpecB ROM from RR

I connected, Read his stock ROM with ECUFlash.

I then "Test Write" MickeyD's ROM which completed with out prob.

I then "Write to ECU" and after about 5 minutes, all was gravy.

I am pretty sure those were the steps.

I'm in the same boat as zmarko. 08 SpecB, and afaid to touch anything! Thanks for posting this guys, I was feeling overwhelmed from a lot of the threads, but the step-by-step guidance is very encouraging!

**Stands up** Hi my name is Adam and I am a tuning dummy as well. :) So I will be purchasing a tactrix soon and trying some of this on my 08, I looked at the Romraider forum a bit and was wondering if I could use the mickeyd specB stage 1 base maps on my LGT or is there a specific stage 1 map for non specBs??

**Stands up** Hi my name is Adam and I am a tuning dummy as well. :) So I will be purchasing a tactrix soon and trying some of this on my 08, I looked at the Romraider forum a bit and was wondering if I could use the mickeyd specB stage 1 base maps on my LGT or is there a specific stage 1 map for non specBs??

I am pretty sure there is a base map for 08 non-SpecB's on the RR forums. I don't think you can use the specB map, although I am not sure. i suppose that's why I am asking more questions than answering them.

Archived