LegacyGT.com

JL HD600 Goes Down

Town

I don't know if my battery is dead, there's a kink in a wire or what, but the amp shut down completely at high volume, mid-song, car running at idle in parking garage. It had been working fine for almost a year.

Green light flashes for a second or two on startup and then fails to turn constant. I tried disconnecting the speaker terminals to see if it's a blown speaker causing the amp to shutdown but that didn't work. Owners manual leads me to believe voltage to the amp is the issue but I don't have a voltmeter so I'll have to go somewhere to get it checked.

The battery starts the car without issues and I've never seen any headlight dim, although I did have some road noise that changed pitch with the engine. The guy who did the power install did a shoddy job of grounding the amp, but everything is secure...and I don't believe it would enter the flashing startup sequence if there were an issue there or with the remote turn-on. Fuse is secure and fine; all connections are intact.

Blown amp?

Weak Battery?

Do u have another amp u can hook up to see if the wiring works correctly for it. Its either a bad wire a bad connection or the amp is bad. Tracing wire can be a pain. I followed my 4- gauge off the battery and found that it had shorted out under the drivers seat about a ft of wire had turned black.

Thanks. I need to run a small tap from the power to remote but I'm in the middle of moving and I can't find all the damn allen keys it takes to unsrew the plugs for this amp. Do you think it would be a blown remote turn on though? Like I said, the amp gets a signal to turn on because the light flashes for a second but fails to enter startup. So it's getting SOME power and some sort of signal to turn on...It would sound like a battery issue, but I haven't had any battery problems...car starts fine. I haven't seen any burned plastic along the power wire and this is only 1 amp. But I will pull up some of the trim and check when there's time, hopefully soon.

You should first find someone or buy a multimeter, check the voltage at the amp, on crutchfield it states the amp will turn off if the voltage is below 10 volts. You should also check how good your ground connection is.

Yeah I need to get the voltage checked. Why the ground? I mean I know it's solid, but not good. There was road noise prior and the amp/system shut down while sitting still. I don't think anything jolted loose, but I also don't see any sanding etc near the ground point. I kind of think it's an internal amp fuse... I hope it's just wiring.

If you have a bad ground IE one that is not to bare metal, it could potentially reduce the overall effectiveness of the "complete circuit". Same reason if you have corrosion on the contacts of a flash light and you put fresh batteries in. The light may not be as bright as it should be with fresh batteries.

But I don't see why that would all of a sudden change.

Check your battery terminal, it maybe over oxidized limiting power to the amp. Otherwise call JL and use their awesome warranty program. Since these are their newer amps, I think they might go above and beyond for you. Early adopters should be rewarded. :)

Archived