LegacyGT.com

What cars were you originally considering before you bought your LGT?

Was only looking at used, so I pretty much limited it to the LGT, Mazdaspeed 6 and WRX wagons. My only requirement was it had to have a manual trans. I'm real happy with the Legacy, other than the complete lack of audio options. But I got over it. I wired in a LOC for my amp and 12" punch sub and it sounds OK.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This year I think I'm ready to move on new cars that I may look at now

Mitsu Evo MR (paddle shifting goodness)

If you've never driven this car, you must try it out. My 08 LGT has the paddle shifting 5EAT, and the MR trans makes the Subaru trans look downright embarrassing. The MR shifts are so clean, fast, and precise it'll blow your mind. But the EVO does have some drawbacks you'll realize in person as well. . . like the annoying exhaust drone in the back seat. The suspension will also beat you up during the course of a long trip.

So I guess people who buy LGTs aren't all cross-shopping Camrys like SOA thinks :rolleyes::lol:

Very good point, BUT (<--big but, we reading this thread mostly bought turbos, a few bought the 3.0 and even fewer went with the normally aspirated model. Me thinks SOA sells WAY more 2.5i cars than the others combined. If a place called Legacy2.5i.com existed, I'll bet over 90% of those imaginary "i" entusiasts would have considered the Camry. At the very least that Camry Hi-Po model known as the SE!

Me also thinks that nearly 99% of those that DID buy the turbo Leggy, DID NOT even consider the Camry at all. In fact, they avoided it like the plague. This hypothesis seems to support why a massive amount of the turbo LGT entusiasts (on this forum and NASIOC) are pissed that the '10 LGT has it's crosshairs semmingly trained directly at the lame-o (IMHO) Camry. Perhaps visually not even the SE model...

"aka" the new model is luke warm at best for me. I hope SOA sells boatloads of them so they can build the STI LGT model for 2011 that will possibly convince me to part with my 05 Impreza STi. I will possibly accept a sedan version of a visually massaged current Impreza STI too if necessary. Wouldn't it be really cool if I had to choose between both cars though? Hmm...

Hello SOA are you listening?

lol, i'll admit it. i looked at the camry before buying the 2.5i

but toyota is a reliable and dependable brand, i definitely wanted a car that wouldn't give me any issues so it's the first place i went. but yes, the test drive convinced me otherwise. not to say the camry is a bad car by any means, it's just so uninviting. epitomizes the car appliance concept.

G35 sedan

Charger R/T with R/T package/Dodge Magnum R/T with R/T package

Automatic WRX

Saabaru 92-X Areo

I'm still very happy with my choice and don't regret it at all. I love my wagon!

I bought mine back in 04 but pretty much the same as me.

Charger R/T with R/T package

Automatic WRX

Me also thinks that nearly 99% of those that DID buy the turbo Leggy, DID NOT even consider the Camry at all. In fact, they avoided it like the plague.

This is a sterotype. I did in fact test drive the Camry, a black SE opted out with the amazing 18" TRD rims. It looked awesome, and was faster than the 08 LGT 5EAT I purchased. The reason I didn't seriously consider it was that it's FWD (no good in PA winters) and has little to no mod-ability if you will. Those TRD rims I would kill for though.

After I'm done dealing w/ SOA and getting my turbo (and hopefully the whole motor) replaced, I'm debating on getting rid of my LGT to go Honda/ Acura. Maybe even VW:

1. a new 4dr Honda Si

2. an older Acura TSX.

3. or a new turbo 4 dr VW GTI.

Porsche Boxter S - not enough room for my long legs - it amazed me to see how little room there is in this car compared to my 914-6

S2000 - not quite enough room for my 6'3" frame - the rev happy - low torque engine

Mini Cooper S JCW - don't like the interior, but I still find myself thinking about it anyway

BMW 135i - didn't like the interior, which also didn't have quite enough room for my legs - it surprised me that my spec b interior is nicer than the BMW - had it not been for that, I probably would have bought one

Another Porsche 914-6 - parts issues with trying to keep an ancient car in top form, but I still find myself thinking about it - with a 3.0 motor and the proper suspension and frame mods - it is one visceral adictive ride, but once you get it right, you find that you've spent (at least) $40,000 on it =8-O

09 Mazdaspeed3

I drove almost an hour to the closest Mazda dealership certified to sell Mazdaspeed vehicles. The salesman at the dealership wouldn't let me test drive the mazdaspeed3... because I was only 23. This pissed me off. So I put my checkbook away and left.

A few weeks later I bought my 08 LGT and I love it. Saved me a few grand too. Thanks Mazda!

...I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but I'm considering the following against the '10 LGT. I've tried the previous LGT ('06 and '08) several times and really like it, but a bit small for my needs.

- Passat 2.0T Komfort: Holding out to see if the '10 really gets DSG

- Altima 3.5SE 6-speed: Just didn't feel right

- Mazda 6s Grand Touring: Good reviews, but it's too large imo and my wife doesn't like it at all

- Camry SE V6: I honestly like it, but can't see myself in...well a Camry

I was sure that I was buying an Audi A3. I was just waiting for them to come out... I was driving an '01 GTI 1.8T 5-speed at the time, my 3rd consecutive VW. I had looked at the Legacy when the '05s initially came out, but I wasn't in the market at the time so I didn't even test-drive one. About a year later, I was ready to buy something, and the A3 had all my attention.

My partner had an '02 WRX Wagon at the time, and it was a great car and great fun to drive (he has an '06 WRX Ltd Wagon now.) I remembered liking what I saw and heard of the Legacy, and as it happens the Subaru dealer was between my house and the Audi dealer. I drove both cars on the same day (a day or two after the Audi dealer got their first 2 A3s), and took a day to get it through my thick skull that the car I had already decided to buy wasn't the car I liked the best.

I haven't regretted it in 4 years and 60k miles.

I had my mind set on the Leggy, I had a 98 LGT that went to 200k miles and was going strong until it got totalled, I loved it and I wanted another and i loved the styling of the newer legacies

Archived