LegacyGT.com

You're doing it wrong. New Camaro Edition!

What's wrong with this picture?

Apparently, a good chunk of Camaro's with Brembo brakes came this way from the factory:spin:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/04/Camaro_brake_weights.jpg

As i was reading i came across some intersting material, 370z 3300lbs 60-0 stopping distance 115ft. Cayman s 3100lbs 60-0 111ft. Camaro SS 3750lbs 60-0 109ft-115ft depending on source. All the cars have 4 piston calipers up front, the cayman has slotted rotors aswell, all the rotors are damn near the same size.

As i was reading i came across some intersting material, 370z 3300lbs 60-0 stopping distance 115ft. Camaro SS 3750lbs 60-0 109ft. Sounds like nissan needs to step up there brakes, the rotors are almost the same size and both have 4 piston calipers.

Don't the 370's carry Brembo's as well????

Shame on you Carlos Ghosn...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

^^ Yes, on some trim levels the Z has Brembo's, but on the base model it had "normal" brakes (they are still big though)

Also, tires are a huge factor in stopping distance.

Yes they are, does the 370z and cayman s have crappy tires from factory?

As i was reading i came across some intersting material, 370z 3300lbs 60-0 stopping distance 115ft. Cayman s 3100lbs 60-0 111ft. Camaro SS 3750lbs 60-0 109ft-115ft depending on source. All the cars have 4 piston calipers up front, the cayman has slotted rotors aswell, all the rotors are damn near the same size.

Quite obviously the good brake distances on the Camaro are due to the superior weight balanced Brembo's:lol: I wonder what happens when you get some good heat in the calipers and the weights fall off:spin:

Quite obviously the good brake distances on the Camaro are due to the superior weight balanced Brembo's:lol: I wonder what happens when you get some good heat in the calipers and the weights fall off:spin:

I just gave you 2 cars that so many people hold to be good handling and good braking cars, the 370z and cayman s and they just got out braked by a cheaper, heavier, more powerful camaro. Apparently they are "doing it right"

^^^What happens when the lead weight melt into the caliper or become flying projectiles?

I doubt Camaro owners will be magazine racing 60-0 braking number then:lol:

So they made a mistake on some of the new models, didnt subie just mess up part of the engine assembly process and blow thousands of 2.5liter turbo engines before 1kmiles. It happens to all car manufacters from time to time, its called a RECALL.

All im saying is the import boys have always had better handling and brakes than most of the american sports cars and america had the simple yet powerful. Now it looks like the cars are getting pretty close to handling well and obviously dont have a problem stopping or accelerating.

As far as how something like this happens i have no idea how anyone why works with cars could even do that lol

So they made a mistake on some of the new models, didnt subie just mess up part of the engine assembly process and blow thousands of 2.5liter turbo engines before 1kmiles. It happens to all car manufacters from time to time, its called a RECALL.

All im saying is the import boys have always had better handling and brakes than most of the american sports cars and america had the simple yet powerful. Now it looks like the cars are getting pretty close to handling well and obviously dont have a problem stopping or accelerating.

As far as how something like this happens i have no idea how anyone why works with cars could even do that lol

But sticking wheelweights on the brakes ???

Next thing the rear view mirror will be stuck on the back window :lol:

"GM has not answered to the confusion yet, but the leading theory is they were place on the caliper as a quick and dirty fix to alleviate brake squeal. From a physics perspective, this explanation is plausible, as resonant frequency is in large part determined by mass, and by changing the vibrating mass of the caliper with the weights, a troublesome squeal would be eliminated for a particular driving condition."

^wow, if that's true, that's more disturbing than if some noob fouled up on the line...

because it implies that somewhere is employed a team of minds capable enough to counter such phenomena as 'resonant frequency,' yet unable to conceive that piggybacking adhesive-backed lead ballast on a vital thousand-degree assembly of frequently-jarred moving parts and ungodly clamping force could be perhaps the most nearsighted thing ever done to a peice of machinery...and their orders are being carried out on the public.

^wow, if that's true, that's more disturbing than if some noob fouled up on the line...

because it implies that somewhere is employed a team of minds capable enough to counter such phenomena as 'resonant frequency,' yet unable to conceive that piggybacking adhesive-backed lead ballast on a vital thousand-degree assembly of frequently-jarred moving parts and ungodly clamping force could be perhaps the most nearsighted thing ever done to a peice of machinery...and their orders are being carried out on the public.

Indeed.

I believe some cars we're done right the first time around, such as the camaro, mustang and challenger. I saw a new Camaro today over in Wappingers falls NY coming home from work. Oddly enough he was on the side of the road, pulled over by a statey, so that LS3 must be doing it's job. These late model musscle cars are cool ( Gt500, SS/RS, SRT 8 Challenger ) but everytime I see one they just come off as a comfortable cruzer ( If I want comfort, I'll buy a Cadi or BMW ). I myself would rather build a classic, rather then buying one of these new ones off a show room floor, then putting an intake and exhaust on it and thinking I'm hot sh!t. It's easy to buy one of these new cars, anyone can do it, but it takes something special to actually build one from the ground up. Also, a plus side to that fact, you know the build quality will be spot on because you're doing it and not some shmuck at GM who rigs up a system to eliminate brake noise.

ON that note, here's my 68 Z28 I built up in my one car garage. FYI, it was my first car, bought it for 3 grand in rough shape. Like most things it will never be done, but thanks to my legacy I have the best of both worlds.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lw17gi.jpg

Archived