LegacyGT.com

Strut Tower Braces?

RedAce

Hello, recently I have been thinking about putting front and rear strut tower braces on my LGT. I have been hearing that strut tower braces really don't improve your handling. Is this true? If so what else could I do besides the new struts and performance spring kit I just purchased to improve my handling?

I would expect that once you firm up the undercarriage with firmer sways & endlinks & perhaps other linkages with flex then you'd probably notice flex in the body. That said someone was saying a front strut tower brace took care of a squeak in the instrument panel so if you have one of those annoying come & go squeaks up there it's worth a try.

Yeah strut tower bars are the most over rated mod that one can do. They are the last thing that you'll want to do after struts, springs, sways, bushings. Also with a 10+ year old car, you'll want to replace all the stock bushings before spending money on a strut bar, even if you can't get an upgraded bushing, just replacing the stock ones will help.

-mike

I have a rear strut tower brace on my '08LGT. I have it for the bling factor. So instead of wasting a bunch of money I got an aSpec from eBay. The rear struts are connected to the floor of the trunk. What are you going to stiffen by connecting a bar attached by the two stud ends of the top hat poking through the floor? Spend your money on some decent sways and enjoy the improvement.

If a rear strut bar on an LGT sedan stiffens anything at all it is VERY minimal. Its not like your building a full race car, and then if you were you would not be using the rear strut bars available through retailers. You would build something custom yourself. Listen to the masses. Buy some good sway bars. At least with those you can FEEL the difference.

I have Perrin anti sway bars... big difference.

Hell... you can even just add 6$ coil boosters from autozone in the rear in 15 minutes, and improve over stock, and then take them out when you get the anti sway bars installed.

If a rear strut bar on an LGT sedan stiffens anything at all it is VERY minimal. Its not like your building a full race car, and then if you were you would not be using the rear strut bars available through retailers. You would build something custom yourself. Listen to the masses. Buy some good sway bars. At least with those you can FEEL the difference.

Agreed. Having built a 94 Legacy Turbo and a 96 Impreza L into road race cars, we didn't use rear strut tower bars in either of those, when you build the cage, generally it will incorporate stiffening of the strut towers. As you noted, the tops are bolted right into the chassis, rather than towers, so there is little or nothing that a strut bar will do in the rear to make it any more stiff. I'd be willing to say zero, especially on a sedan.

-mike

Archived