LegacyGT.com

Wheel Bearing or Alignment issue?

highlander

I haven't been able to put it up on jacks yet but thought I would poll for opinions.

Symptoms:

Mild vibration in steering while driving, but little to no drift if wheel released.

'growling' noise at parking lot speed when making hard left turns (almost full lock)

No shudder in steering wheel when braking

No pull when braking

Vibration appears worse when driveline/tires are cold

48k on odometer.

So which way do most folks think? If a wheel bearing then dealer can fix under extended OEM warranty... If alignment, then I will have to get that straight (no pun intended:p).

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Growling at parking lot speeds is usually a sign that it's the wheel bearing. Try pushing on the wheel at the top and see if you can hear a "clicking" that is different from the other wheels. That's how we used to check for wheel bearings at Autox.

If I were betting, I'd say wheel bearing.

-mike

We run the car on the lift in the air and take a stethoscope/chassis ears to the wheel bearing/hub ear and listen for noise.

Todd, I will let you know Monday if we have a bearing for your car in stock.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

My wheelbearings are getting noisy but still have life left in them. What is affected besides noise? are vibration and steering issues attributed to them ? I'm dumping quite a bit of $ into the suspension right now but have not considered changing the wheelbearing yet unless its gets really worse. What is the typical cost for changing the bearings?

What do you mean that they have life left in them?

Once your bearings start to go, they should be replaced. I mean unless you want your wheel to come flying off! :)

-mike

Bearings are bearings, I just hear mine when i have the windows down and rolling slowly. Sounds almost like the brake calipers are grinding a bit . The sound is very mild and most people don't notice it. There is no hurry, wheels won't come off and car won't explode. I liken it to an arthritic knee. You can go for a little while just a matter of time before you need replecement and no the leg won't go flying off .

total bearing failure will cause the wheel to separate (seen it). ususally it is preceded with a terrible vibration in the wheel though.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

We run the car on the lift in the air and take a stethoscope/chassis ears to the wheel bearing/hub ear and listen for noise.

Todd, I will let you know Monday if we have a bearing for your car in stock.

when you guys run the car in the air, is this with the wheels off? also is this something one would attempt on jackstands!?! :eek:. i'm sure one (maybe 2) of mine is gone but i need to be sure which one.

Archived