LegacyGT.com

windows down, sunroof open, thunderstorm...

Canon20D

So i left my windows down and sunroof open when i got home last night, cause it was sunny and 70 after being rainy all day. Figured I might go out, and would close it all up later if not.

This AM i went outside and realized i left everything open last night :mad:

I get to work after wiping down my seats and such, which were damp but not really "wet" but the floor mats (all weather) were pretty damp. Drove to work with the defroster set to high, as my windows were all wet on the inside. Seats were a little wet but the seat heater fixed that.

Just talked to a co-worker about it, and he was like - "oh that stinks, rained pretty hard last night too!"

And then i remembered, it DID rain hard last night, around 8-9pm, and my car was open

I am assuming a lot of it evaporated since last night which is why i didnt find puddles in my car.. but did i screw up my leather seats? is my car going to smell funky from now on?

What are my best options at this point since everything is pretty much dry now.. was it better for the leather to dry slowly?

pull out the seat and carpet let air dry. make sure no puddles left in the cat and then shampoo the carpet maybe some febreeze or something.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

def don't use your seat heaters until you're sure the seats have fully dried out, you will short & could possibly start a fire.

fortunately, it is supposed to be beautiful from tomorrow through the weekend. i would leave the windows down with the roof & trunk open to allow for as much airflow as possible. maybe even set up a fan in your car to keep the air moving.

pat as much of the water out of the carpet as possible.

the stink & mildew are probably inevitable :(

I wouldn't wait to air dry it out. I'd get a shop vac or a vacuum style carpet cleaner to suck out what I could. If you have any soiled spots on your carpets, now would be a good time to zap them with some solution, scrub and vacuum.

Good Luck!

dude that s*cks. its wierd b/c i actually remember my girl saying "its raining" which surprised me too since i thought we were done witht he sh*tty weather for a few days.

as mentioned above just try and dry everything as good as you can and spray some freebreeze in there. this weekend is supposed to be in the 80s so you may want to remove the front seats and clean the carpets. that may help with any mildew smell you may get.

You can get desiccant from craft stores... It's the stuff they use to dry flowers. It comes as a jar of pellets which you can pour into a sock (or something porous) and leave in the car to pull out moisture. If they get saturated, you can bake them on a cookie sheet and reuse.

I keep a small satchel of desiccant in the car at all times to prevent any mildew/odors throughout the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant

The way I see it, there is always moisture getting into the car. Not just on a humid day, but any time it's raining and you get in the car and your wet coat is all over the seat, and your wet shoes in the footwell. In the winter it's even worse because the snow clumps up and you leave big chunks of "time-release" moisture in the car.

My car is 3 years old and the interior still smells brand new (probably not as strong). I never use air fresheners, but I do treat all the leather with Wolfgang product 2 or 3 times a year.

dude where do you live that you can leave all your windows open? i wont even leave my windows & sunroof open when im standing next to my car!! that sucks and definitely don't use the heated seats till you're sure they are dry. just hope mold doesnt kick in or you'll never get rid of that smell. my camaro had it from leaky t-tops and it drove me crazy.

I live here.

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=williamstown+nj&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=vE7vSaSOLoiclAeYzpgr&ll=39.635473,-74.971819&spn=0.011601,0.019312&z=16]Williamstown Nj[/ame]

I think the carpet is pretty good, since the all weather mats seem to have caught Most of the water it seems (under them is dry)

and I guess the seats got the rest.

Hopefully Ill be dry on my way home. and tomorrow itll be nice enough to air it out real good

I need to stop leaving the windows down when i get home. its not that hard to open them again if I go out...

this happened to be a few years back. I had an S10 Blazer left the sun roof and all the windows down while at a friends house its stormed for like 15 mins and stopped completely. I turned on the heater and let it dry.. Took me a month to comepletely dry it out... and then i did it agian.. and it took me another month to get it out... and a month n half to get out the smell.. SUCK...!!!:mad:

Armoral your seats to make sure the leather doesnt dry out and it will condition the leather too... I work part time for a leather goods company and that is the same response i would tel a customer if they got their products wet but with our leather care products ;)

To avoid this happening again, click here

You beat me to it.

This happened in my wifes old Passat. Try as I might, the car never smelled "right" again.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I had the thought last night I didn't close the moonroof either... ran to the car... but I did. What a relief.

Sorry it happened to you.

• 5 months later...
I know it's been half a year, but this was on cartalk a little bit ago. Same exact thing! Click or Clack said close all the windows and doors, turn to recirc, full heat and A/C on.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived