LegacyGT.com

Strange Brembo or brake pad problem

rnstein69

Wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity of the bracket? How about milling 1.27mm on the hub side and another 1.27mm on the caliper side to spread the gap?

I think I already have all the parts to do a mock up this week (time permitting). My parts are:

2006 Brembo calipers

DBA standard slotted rotors for 2004 STi (F&R)

fastwrx.com rear brackets

Onkel e-brake shoes.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, there are two planes on the bracket. One that meets the caliper and one that meets the knuckle, and these two planes are separated by a few millimeters. 2.5 mm is really not all that much material to remove from a surface, but it does seem to be enough to make a difference in this case. I mean, these brackets are made of solid quality aluminum to I think that they should still be fine.

well, I got my bracket back from the machine shop this afternoon and just finished putting everything back together. Everything looks like it is lined up much better, and the space is now even between the rotor and both inside parts of the caliper and the inside pads I do not have to wrestle with to get in or out.

I took some pictures and will post them a little later on, I am kind of lazy right now.

I also went for a quick test drive and the brakes are still feeling the same, which they always felt great, but the rust ring is still there. I am guessing that things have to wear in for a couple of hundred miles, so maybe by this coming weekend I will give another update.

On another note I have a very "light" or low pitched clicking noise from my rear right wheel. It increases with speed and goes away when I am pressing the brake pedal. I can hardly hear it, but it is more audible when I drive through a tunnel or underpass and it echos a bit. There is nothing touching the caliper and the heatshield is removed completely. I dunno, looks like another "crisis" on my hands lol... the fun never stops.

i hope its all straightened out now. im not looking forward to doing my rear brembo setup after all your headaches. its a pita to begin with. i also have the large brake shoes and will be using an 04 sti app rotor. might be hitting you up once i finally get the rotors.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I am guessing that things have to wear in for a couple of hundred miles, so maybe by this coming weekend I will give another update.

You shouldn't need many miles, just a good series of hard stops.

On another note I have a very "light" or low pitched clicking noise from my rear right wheel. It increases with speed and goes away when I am pressing the brake pedal. I can hardly hear it, but it is more audible when I drive through a tunnel or underpass and it echos a bit. There is nothing touching the caliper and the heatshield is removed completely. I dunno, looks like another "crisis" on my hands lol... the fun never stops.
Screw in the tire?

i hope its all straightened out now. im not looking forward to doing my rear brembo setup after all your headaches. its a pita to begin with. i also have the large brake shoes and will be using an 04 sti app rotor. might be hitting you up once i finally get the rotors.

I feel like a pro at the rear brakes now. It has been about 4 times since unassembling/reassembling them :lol:

Hit me up anytime, I would be glad to help.

You shouldn't need many miles, just a good series of hard stops.

Screw in the tire?

could be a screw or nail in the tire, I haven't thought about it. I am not loosing any air pressure at all though.

could be a screw or nail in the tire, I haven't thought about it. I am not loosing any air pressure at all though.

Not losing air pressure is not all that uncommon if the screw is sealing tightly. Anyway, its an easy thing to check for and an even easier fix.

Sleeved with a cast iron insert shrunk into the original rotor.

Weight ? No idea.

What did they charge you for that modification? If they haven't been installed yet, it would be extremely helpful if you could get one of the rotors on a scale. Extremely helpful for my own selfish needs of course.:lol:

Not losing air pressure is not all that uncommon if the screw is sealing tightly. Anyway, its an easy thing to check for and an even easier fix.

If it is a screw, then why would the sound go away when I step on the brake (and still moving)?

Ok, I finally am not too lazy to upload some pics. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics..

here is one of the brackets that I had milled down by 2.5 mm. The machinist did not do the greatest job on the chamfers, so I cleaned them up myself with a grinding stone in my lathe and I also had to remove the burr from the holes for the bolts where it mounts up to the knuckle:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic51.jpg

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic6_jgp.jpg

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic7.jpg

You can see here that the rotor is lining up properly now and there is equal space for the brake pad on either side, so the inner pad slides in easily now as does the outer pad:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic8.jpg

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic9.jpg

Just for comparison purposes, here is the before pic, you can see that there is less space between the rotor and inner part of the caliper than the rotor and the outer part of the caliper:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/medium/pic23.jpg

I spoke to Dan at mach V and he was very helpful. He thinks that the lip around the inside part of the rotor is interfering with that piece on the knuckle just outside of the brake shoes. It seems that the combination of stock shoes and the mach V custom rotor will not have this issue. It seems to be resolved now and the rust rings seem to be fading away as the pads wear in. I think that the pads began to wear unevenly to begin with due to this issue and another few weeks they should hopefully be worn into place.

Thanks again for all of the help guys, it is much appreciated.

Glad you got it solved, now you can be considered an expert at Brembo installations ;)

I woould keep an eye on those brackets though, some of those rough edges on the inside radius could be the starting point for a crack, depending on how much stress they see.

I did thing about milling the bracket could be weakening it, but a few things came to mind after thinking about it for a while:

1. The bracket is made of solid aluminum, and it is pretty strong to start off with.

2. The center part of the bracket is really main supporting part of it, and that has not been touched, so it is solid 2" x 1.5", which I think is more than adequate, plus the rear brakes only do about 20% of the braking force.

The rough edges that you see in the pictures were before I ground them down with a grinding stone, so those inside edges are much smoother now. And that part on the inside radius that you are talking about was only scraped by whatever bit the machinist used, it really is not all that significant.

It seems that the combination of stock shoes and the mach V custom rotor will not have this issue.

I wonder if others who are using the adapter shoes are having any alignment problems with the caliper and rotors. Can anyone chime in?

I spoke to Dan at mach V and he was very helpful. He thinks that the lip around the inside part of the rotor is interfering with that piece on the knuckle just outside of the brake shoes. It seems that the combination of stock shoes and the mach V custom rotor will not have this issue. It seems to be resolved now and the rust rings seem to be fading away as the pads wear in. I think that the pads began to wear unevenly to begin with due to this issue and another few weeks they should hopefully be worn into place.

Thanks again for all of the help guys, it is much appreciated.

The stock STI rotor is not an issue. I've been personally running it and so do several people who bought the adapter shoes from me. I don't understand what is the problem with your setup. Your particular set of rotors must be off.

To be exact I am running the older version of the KNS brackets. I am going to try to install the new type of brackets tomorrow to see if there are any issues. I'll take pics to show the stock STI rotor (in conjuction with adapter parking shoes) IS NOT a problem. It simply cannot be true, because all the adapter rotor does, it reduces inside diameter of the drum. Externally it should be the same.

I don't know if someone has used the dba sti rear rotor w/ the big shoes on your car to know if it's just the brand of rear rotor you are using or sti rears in general.

I used both stock OEM Brembo rotor (for 04 STI) and Stoptech rear rotor (for 04-09 Sti, double lug pattern) without issues with your original bracket and my adapter shoes.

The only issue I had was the inner pad sticking out but that's totally unrelated issue your newer brackets are supposed to address.

Well, I just wanted to document this issue that I am having and did not want to come to any biased conclusions (I apologize if I did). I went the route of milling the bracket down by 2.5 mm because I thought that this would be the easiest fix, and the issue that I am having seems to now be resolved. I am sure that are other routes that could have been taken to fix this issue.

Once again, here are the components that I am using for the rear brakes:

2007 STi ltd calipers

Mach V relocation bracket

2004 DBA 4000 series rotors

Hawk HPS pads

Custom brake shoes from unclemat

I managed to get the rear calipers installed last night, after sleeving the parking brake drums. While tightening everything up, I did notice that if you haven't ground off enough material from the housing to give the bolt head some clearance, it will pull the caliper off slightly. Maybe this was causing the uneven wear on your rotors ?

The OEM '04 STi rotors may not be an issue, but some aftermarket ones certainly are a problem. I am not sure what rotors I have (they came with the calipers) but the inside lip was interfering with the parking brake assembly housing.

Archived