LegacyGT.com

08 legacy no VDC?

Hey All,

I'm new to the forums and I just bought an 08 legacy 2.5i limited. It didn't come standard with VDC, though, as apparently they weren't standard in this make until july 07?

Does anybody know why subaru did this? For a mere few hundred bucks on top I would have rather had the VDC but since I don't, am I a lot worse for not having it or is the AWD (coupled with safe driving) pretty apt at handling those situations?

Any input would help, thanks!

The 2008 2.5i Limited Legacys come with VDC standard.

Mine came with it standard

2.5i Limited sedan adds over 2.5i SE

everything the 2.5i SE has, plus.... standard 4speed Sportshift automatic transmission

new for 2008 VDC all wheel drive with TCS Traction Control System will be standard starting with July 2007 delivery. See prices below for model codes

Dual Zone climate control

Projector Beam Fog Lights

Front passenger seatback net pocket

Windshield Shade Band across upper windshield

Elm woodgrain interior accents with warm ivory leather

Chestnut woodgrain interior accents with off-black leather

Leather interior, steering wheel, parking brake handle and shift knob

6 disc CD changer in dash, 6 speakers now with MP3, and SRS WOW system

All Weather Package with heated seats, defrosting outside mirrors, front windshield wiper de-icer

Stereo 100watt, AM/FM/ 6 CD changer, R/RW discs, MP3, 6 speakers, with bass, mid-range, and treble adjustments (by Panasonic), SRS WOW audio enhancement, aux (iPod) center console plug, pre-wired for XM or Sirius Satellite radio

(new 12/10/08 available iPod-iPhone interface- controls your iPod and iPhone through the factory stereo. na with satellite radio)

Trip computer with instant/average economy, outside temp with freeze temperature alert, elapsed time function (resets with trip odometer).

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2008.html

It's a model code 8AE. I believe the subaru legacy only came with VDC standard starting after shipping of july 07, where they changed the model code to 8AF. Plus I don't have a button to turn it off so that pretty much seals the deal!

vcd doesnt work immediately when the car is slipping

when its raining and take a hwy decreasing radius on ramp, 270 degree, at 47+mph the back tires will slip and the car will oversteer quite a lot before the vcd kicks in (ill say car rotates about 15 degrees or more) its noticeable when the car is oversteering, and most people can correct it, but its also fun seeing when vcd will kick in.

what i noticed when it turn on it brakes one of the rear wheels in oversteer to correct the oversteer, and does it pretty hard, enough to jerk the car the other direction, then corrects

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

vcd doesnt work immediately when the car is slipping

when its raining and take a hwy decreasing radius on ramp, 270 degree, at 47+mph the back tires will slip and the car will oversteer quite a lot before the vcd kicks in (ill say car rotates about 15 degrees or more) its noticeable when the car is oversteering, and most people can correct it, but its also fun seeing when vcd will kick in.

what i noticed when it turn on it brakes one of the rear wheels in oversteer to correct the oversteer, and does it pretty hard, enough to jerk the car the other direction, then corrects

The Subaru system is quite liberal before it kicks in. Makes the driving much more "sporting" IMHO. Some VCD systems quick way too early like my sisters RAV4.

The Subaru system is quite liberal before it kicks in. Makes the driving much more "sporting" IMHO. Some VCD systems quick way too early like my sisters RAV4.

i agree its more sporting, part of the reason i chose an awd car is for the level of grip in almost every type of situation :wub::) (vs fwd,rwd)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I took a snow-covered turn a little too hard going in and when I had to brake, it didn't help so much. Suddenly, the VDC kicked in by ramping down the throttle and applying brakes correctly to get me through the turn. So, just drive for the conditions and the AWD system will be fine. Don't get yourself into trouble.

ha, no question it would have been something i'd have wanted, i was just hoping it was less important in an AWD car with better traction and a lower center of gravity...maybe why they took so long to include it standard?

• 1 month later...

Turn your key from off to on, if you have a VDC light, then you have VDC! There should also be a VDC button to turn it off somewhere.

The one thing I dont know is: i thought even if you turned the VDC off, most subies turned it back on after 35 mph, but mine doesn't. Which ones don't?

If you have a button to disable VDC, it should remain disabled until you turn the vehicle off and back on. VDC has been useful once or twice, but it's not very helpful when trying to spin donuts in the snow.

It saved my a** once. I was going way too fast around a corner trying to catch some people and they had both gone off the road and one car was totaled. I slammed on the brakes mid corner and felt the rear start so slide out, and VDC kept the rear of my car behind me.

But for snow it puts an end to your fun. Good thing theres an off switch. :cool:

Hmmm apartently since i dont see that light up I guess i dont have it. WTF i asked for it and im sure they said i had it.

In addition to the switch near the power mirrors, it should show up on your original window sticker if you still have it. For the earlier part of the year, it was listed as an option (for around $300, as I recall) and for the balance of the year, it was listed under standard equipment.

• 7 months later...

Archived