LegacyGT.com

Leaky sunroof? Or...

EmTee

It's the 05 OBXT...

It was raining all day at work (odd for CO) and I noticed dampness at the bottom of the A-pillar, and dampness on the headliner where it meets that A-pillar cover... never seen that before, even if I parked the car in the garage with inches of snow on the roof...

Yet I freaked out anyhow and pulled off visor, handle, map light, and A/B-pillar covers, sunroof molding...and anything else I forgot to mention... and I pulled down the corner of the headliner to gain a peek (and yeah about 7 peeks into it I did wrinkle the liner a touch above the B-pillar, sigh.)

The technician could not reproduce the owner's complaint. I poured a couple pints into the sunroof trough, and some down the front piece of glass...nothing really.

The last remaining drops from the day seemed to be about 1/3 the way from the right side, and about 4 inches forward of the sunroof trough. There's nothing there (besides the roof reinforcements)! I can't help but think drops then must have been riding along the actual roof sheet metal.

So my theories now are roof rack... or just condensation gathered and ran down the pillar (it was very cold rain)?

Any comments, theories? I'm about ready to put it back together and forget about it...

Yeah, I think I checked that kind of okay...like ran my hand round that area, felt dry... but moreover it really developed this while parked... home is a 6 min drive away (I guess I like driving my car :rolleyes: )

my other car, the sun roof was not leaking but the drainage was clogged. the back seats floor was soaked. it took the dealer a few days to fix it, first day to find the problem and the rest of the week contacting people how to fix the problem

check the drainage if you could, i dont know where it would be at

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

There is at least one at each front corner of the sunroof... they passed a pint quite quickly... kind of like me... erm...

I'm gonna go back to the lab and wet it down one more time just for good measure. That is, the car. :dm:

It's the 05 OBXT...

It was raining all day at work (odd for CO) and I noticed dampness at the bottom of the A-pillar, and dampness on the headliner where it meets that A-pillar cover... never seen that before, even if I parked the car in the garage with inches of snow on the roof...

Yet I freaked out anyhow and pulled off visor, handle, map light, and A/B-pillar covers, sunroof molding...and anything else I forgot to mention... and I pulled down the corner of the headliner to gain a peek (and yeah about 7 peeks into it I did wrinkle the liner a touch above the B-pillar, sigh.)

The technician could not reproduce the owner's complaint. I poured a couple pints into the sunroof trough, and some down the front piece of glass...nothing really.

The last remaining drops from the day seemed to be about 1/3 the way from the right side, and about 4 inches forward of the sunroof trough. There's nothing there (besides the roof reinforcements)! I can't help but think drops then must have been riding along the actual roof sheet metal.

So my theories now are roof rack... or just condensation gathered and ran down the pillar (it was very cold rain)?

Any comments, theories? I'm about ready to put it back together and forget about it...

Oh god, please don't say that! I'm gonna go nuts if I have issues with my moonroof like I did with my supercoupe! I was hoping it was a Ford thing. :spin:

@#$!@$

I just put it back together. What, a, bi***. Those snappy things come off much easier than they go back on. I resorted to yanking them out of the frame like you're supposed to, and popping them into the trim piece before replacing it...

This time I had sprayed it with the garden hose and stuff, it seems to be neither the sunroof nor the rack... going with the condensation theory. It's that, or the water is able to go uphill 1cm by where the sheet metal overhang shrinks a little to go over the sunroof trough... which is possible, if unlikely.

But anyhow, I got too many videogames to play, and too much mountain biking to do, and work? No, just kidding, not work. This car could be t-boned at any moment. I can't belabor things like this any more.

I've done harder things, like replace diff seals and things on an old Volvo, but I took a similar attitude with that car--life's too short to fix everything on that car--I just kept it driving around is all. Interior stuff like power seats always got to me in a very special way... ugh I hate working on that.

I commend you people who electively dismantle all this crap and install audio or custom whatever. I don't have that in me.

• 2 years later...

Another possibility is that the gasket between the sunroof apparatus and the drain pan (that the entire sunroof assembly sits in) has disintegrated. This happened with our 1991 Legacy Sedan, and we found the solution after spending $500 on new weatherstripping and trim.

To help others, I have documented how we fixed it, here: (personal blog, non-commercial site): http://caverpilot.com/cars/how-to-remove-replace-sunroof-in-1991-subaru-legacy-and-stop-leaking-roof-or-headliner/

Here's how bad the gasket was (non-existent!) (I understand your Subaru is much, much newer than ours...)

http://caverpilot.com/wp-content/gallery/cars/img_0174.jpg

Archived