LegacyGT.com

Who has AutoX'ed their 2.5i?

I am considering autocrossing my 2.5i 5MT in a local event. The purpose would be to learn my car better- not to win a race. I was going to go to one last month, but I had some family stuff pop up. That one would have been great- it was raining, and 95% of the other cars were RWD. I might not have looked so bad. :lol:

Anyway, the event is a BMWCCA event that is in a wide open course (Summit Point). I bought an E36 just to autoX, but sold it when a more sentimental project came along. Meanwhile, I still have the urge to autoX, so I might as well run what I have, right?

Has anyone had any issues when autocrossing the 2.5i? Has anything blown up or broken? Any issues with SoA?

SOA will flag your car and deny all repairs under warranty LOL j/k

You joke, but I have heard of it happeneing for people who engage in "motorsports" activity. I have heard about it on NASIOC from the WRX guys, and on other forums with other makes.

i dont think AX your car would hurt but the suspension isnt set up for it so be warned you may get a good bit of pitch and roll
As to the actual performance, I am not expecting much. It is a 2.5i, after all! I really just want to get to knwo the car better so that when I am drivig back roads, I know the limits a little better than I do now. I will run it in full street trim- spare, baby seat, etc. I just don't want to break something in my DD. The whole point of the E36 was to give me a toy to play with, but I sold it to fund completing my 88 Comanche.

I may be doing minor suspension mods soon, so this could be a good before/after type comparison.

Totally dude i understand you just want to know how fast till spin out. Ive heard of the VIN of the cars that enter somehow get passed along and end up in a database and when they go in for say a bad CV boot or other Drive train issue this gets brought up and used to deny all repairs under warranty oh SOA

You joke, but I have heard of it happeneing for people who engage in "motorsports" activity. I have heard about it on NASIOC from the WRX guys, and on other forums with other makes.

As to the actual performance, I am not expecting much. It is a 2.5i, after all! I really just want to get to knwo the car better so that when I am drivig back roads, I know the limits a little better than I do now. I will run it in full street trim- spare, baby seat, etc. I just don't want to break something in my DD. The whole point of the E36 was to give me a toy to play with, but I sold it to fund completing my 88 Comanche.

I may be doing minor suspension mods soon, so this could be a good before/after type comparison.

Sorry, but I call BS on this one...

I call BS on your BS :rolleyes::lol: Ive read articles in magazines pertaining to this very issue with AutoX and every make and model of car. The particular artice was focused on Evo's and STI's they log your VIN when you enter and SOA and Mitsu had gained access to that info

Well, like the other guy, I call BS on your call of BS. I moderate maxima.org, and one of the other mods is local to me. We have been to several autoX events, though I never drive. He just bought a WRX- brand new- and had a drivetrain issue (around 6K) with it on the way to an autoX event last month. When he took it in to the dealership, one of the first things they asked (in several round-about manners) was whether the issue arose during or following an organized track or driving event, whether it had ever been tracked, timed, etc.

He had pulld his SCCA stickers off of the car before taking it in or who knows how high the scrutiny would have been.

On a side note, he offered to let me use his track wheels on the 2.5i if I wanted to...

I am kinda interested as well... but at the same time, I like how my car looks right now. Don't wanna go autoXing and then end up cracking a bumper against a rock or some dirt mound or something.

This course has nearly no chance of that. It was originally designed specifically to attract some high-end cars- the kind that people don't like to see bumped on a curb or anything. The layout on the day I will be running is from the bimmer guys, who seem fairly protective. :)

Some pics of the course:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/BMW/summit2-21-09001.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/BMW/summit2-21-09002.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/BMW/summit2-21-09004.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/BMW/summit2-21-09003.jpg

Moar:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09016.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09015.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09014.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09013.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09012.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/gwbauer/autocross%203-28-09/summit3-28-09009.jpg

^^ Nice

The track was designed just for AutoX and driving instruction. They do HP driving instruction there for both fun and for security. The Secret Service trains drivers there in evasive/extreme driving. Having a course that is open like that prevents damage to training vehicles or specialized vehicles that security detals drive. Breaking a million-dollar limo by hitting a light pole is frowned upon.

I was mad that I missed the last event there, the one in the pictures. Because of the RWD and the power of some of the BMWs (and many of the entries), they had a hard time with the course. My buddy with an open-diff Infiniti I30 did pretty well in a field where he was in the lower 10% of the cars, based on power and power:weight.

Of course, in dry he would have been clobbered.

Debadged RX-8?

I just looked at CT autoX club... not bad, membership is like 30, some of the events tho are like 150.

I was referrning to the fact that even going all of the way off of the track, the worst that he suffered was pride issues and some mud.

Yes, it is a debadged RX-8.

Ya, ya I got what you were saying. That track def looks very nice... Except I do see one pic where there looks to be pretty deep standing water. Gotta watch out for that when you have a CAI, no?

But otherwise, it looks great. I've been watching this british show called Top Gear recently, and sometimes when they're going fast enough, even when they spin out in dirt they can whack it hard enough to put a scratch or a crack on the bumper. One time they hit a tire wall and definitely screwed up the bumper.

How much does it cost for you to get in there (the BMW autoX club)?

Ya, ya I got what you were saying. That track def looks very nice... Except I do see one pic where there looks to be pretty deep standing water. Gotta watch out for that when you have a CAI, no?

But otherwise, it looks great. I've been watching this british show called Top Gear recently, and sometimes when they're going fast enough, even when they spin out in dirt they can whack it hard enough to put a scratch or a crack on the bumper. One time they hit a tire wall and definitely screwed up the bumper.

How much does it cost for you to get in there (the BMW autoX club)?

In reference to the standing water issue, they changed the layout slightly (even moreso in the afternoon) to go around the deep standing water. Your concern was expressed by a lot of the drivers.

The membership is $40 a year, but entry fees for events are $10 more for non-members, so people who plan to run with the BMW group (and they are very open to outsiders in the local chapter) usually join if they plan to run more than 3 events in a season. This event is $25 for members and $35 for outsiders.

I should have joined already, butmo' info my wife is very iffy about me driving my DD in autoX, which was why I bought the E36 in the first place. She wants me to get another one to keep the Subie "safe," but I need to finish one project first. I am under $1000 and 40 hours from having my truck "done." After that, who knows.

I haven't done AutoX, but I've taken my 2.5i to the track a few times actually. Did it twice last summer, and will probably go again this year.

It's actually quite alot of fun, and though our cars don't have any power, like others have mentioned, they still handle really well. Both sessions I attended last year were part of an Advanced Driver training, so the whole time while I was driving my car on the track, I had a pro (very experienced) driver in the passenger side giving me tips and instructions on everything from taking the turn, when to brake, apex, etc..

This makes a huge difference, getting the instant feedback, and then really seeing how your improving lap by lap. The sessions I went to, my car was easily the least powered, but I always did suprisingly well. Its all controlled passing mind you, but I had passed many cars I had no business passing. I think it was a combination of me learning the ropes faster than some other drivers, and other drivers not knowing how to drive their car worth $hit.

Only performance mods I had on my car with Ion Springs, and bunch of stuff from Group A (lightweight pulley's, TBS, Pitch mount, etc). I was running both sessions on my all seasons...which I'm finally upgrading this weekend. I can see summer tires making a big difference though.

I have some pictures somewhere, I should get around to posting some.

These sessions were held up at Mosport, in Bowmanville Ontario. They have 2 tracks, and I was on the DDT (Driver Development Track), not their main one. Biggest difference is their main one is pretty fast track with some dangerous turns. Used to be an F1 track back in the day. Now its used for a bunch of other track/leagues

DDT track is great as its pretty wide open, no chance of hitting anything really.

I say go for it and don't worry about SOA issues. They can likely download the rpm/speed info at the dealership if they are really concerned about the warranty work, but what evidence would they have that the specific damage, if any occurs, happened at a track and not on the street somewhere??

In in any case you might be surprised how well your 2.5i will do, I know I was quite impressed with mine on the Autobahn's course in Joliet last year. I couldn't take my Mustang due to part issues, so I brought my wagon and had a total blast on course. Best part was a Corvette C5 spinning out trying to accellerate through the turns with me...gotta love the AWD!!

BTW, all season Yoko's scream all the way around the track!

MK2_6082s.jpg.a93d6d8b31a12dcdebb9f2b84ae54ff2.jpg

LMB_6337s.jpg.aead72beb60b05d21d4ed43fa5856874.jpg

Archived