LegacyGT.com

Smoke from underneath hood!

MCSLegacy

Hey everyone, got a question for you all. Getting just a little concerned here. So yesterday I was driving on the freeway going about 80MPH. I get off on the exit ramp and my car starts smoking this white smoke from underneath the hood. It's not a lot, and you can barely notice it at some points, but it kind of slowly creeps out my hood scoop and the sides of the car. It's happened many times, but before it was always accompanied with a burning oil smell. Well I figured out that my oil pressure sensor was leaking on the top of the engine causing oil to sit up on the passenger side of the engine. Now I have no smell, and the smoke is a lighter white. Now I'm thinking it's probably still burning some of that excess oil off the top of the engine since I haven't had the time to get in there and clean it throughorly, but I opened the hoop and the smoke seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine? So the previous owner (after watching himself some Fast and Furious, I'm sure) made a "Cold Air Intake" out of PVC pipe. He used a rubber fitting to attach the PVC to the engine. Is it possible that the rubber fitting is melting where it hooks on to the engine, causing the smoke? Can you guys think of anything else that would be causing my car to smoke like that? I mean I may have a hole in the exhaust somewhere towards the front, but usually the smoke continues for a little while after turning off the car. Seems to happen after running the car pretty hard, like on the freeway going fast, driving for more than half an hour. Temperature seems to be fine. I've had the car for less than a year, just recently did head gaskets, and new clutch, brakes, CV joints in the front, new tires, oil pressure sensor.

98 Legacy 2.5 GT, 5 Speed

Thanks!

I'd say, valve cover gasket, spark plug tube gasket, or the front cam seal.

The only way to really know where it is leaking is to get under the car, and take a peak.

It will be obvious when you take a look whether or not it is coming from those popular subaru trouble areas.

If it's coming from the front of the engine behind the timing belt, its the cam seal or oil pump seal, the sides its the valve cover gaskets.

You get the smell and/or smoke because the exhaust snakes around the engine, and any minimal leak will hit the exhaust headers, giving you that popular subie smell.

Fun fun fun... So I guess we're steering away from the possibility of it having anything to do with the clutch or head gaskets? I sure hope so. That's what worries me the most. If it's related to the clutch or head gaskets, I don't know what I'm gonna do. Probably start off with a lot of cussing. I'll just have to investigate further when it starts to happen. It seems to be coming from the rear drivers side quarter of the engine. So I guess the side of the engine closest to the firewall, and not the side that has the timing belt cover.

That sounds like your valve cover and/or spark plug gaskets. I'd get both sides valve cover and spark plug gaskets and put them all in.

It probably wouldn't be anything from the bellhousing (clutch) area because oil tends to flow back, and if it's that far forward on your motor it isn't coming from behind.

Thanks for all the great responses. How much would I be looking for all these various seals and stuff do you think? How involved of a process to change them out? I'll check the easiest stuff first, hopefully it's not that involved. I'm determined to make this car last as long as possible.

Well making these cars last is not difficult. Doing maintenance such as what you are looking to do is a great start.

It isn't expensive at all if you are going to do it yourself. Honestly, if you have a FSM (service manual) and a decent set of metric tools, you can work on this car, front to back with very little "special tools".

For example, if it is your valve cover leaking, you get a set for both sides, plus spark plug tube gaskets for around $30. Getting to them isn't all that difficult, and once you get one side down, you'll find doing the other side a bit easier.

The cam seals and oil pump seal are a little more involved, they require removing the timing belt and quite a few other things. But, I'm doubting this is your problem anyways.

I suggest buying only OEM replacement engine parts/seals. They do last longer than cheaper aftermarkets, and you can get whatever you need from this website, http://www.subarugenuineparts.com If you can't find what you are looking for on the site, shoot them an email, and they'll get you your parts.

Cool! Thanks for the help, that's a great website! I've actually got two service manuals none of which are Subaru. I have the Haynes and the Chiltons. Maybe I'll invest in the legit Subaru one. I love this car. I suppose I'll have to take out a lot of the accessories around the engine. The driver's side of that car is pretty full of stuff, like the battery, fuse box, windshield washer fluid. It's kind of a big engine in that bay. I had to move most of that stuff to get to the spark plugs.

You'll want to remove the battery and the tray, and you can just unbolt the windshield wash reservoir rather than taking it out.

And pass. side just remove the air intake stuff, and you should be fine. You may find using an open ended wrench easier to access the bolts closer to the firewall, so you don't have to remove a ton of stuff.

Hey everyone, so I looked under the car today while it was running and I think I figured out my problem. Turns out the smoke was coming from something being dripped on one of the exhaust pieces. Now, I'm not too familiar with what parts are what under the car, but it looks like something may have been dripping off the front diff or transmission. Nothing was dripping when I looked under there, but you could see pretty clearly that the bottom part of this diff/tranny was wet with some substance and it was leaking onto the exhaust. Can anyone tell me what that particular piece is that has some sort of nut that's right over the exhaust? How do I check the level for that piece and what do I need to put in to top it off again. I'm assuming it's the front diff since the nut seems to look very similar to that of the rear diff. Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone, so I looked under the car today while it was running and I think I figured out my problem. Turns out the smoke was coming from something being dripped on one of the exhaust pieces.

Yep, this is very common, you need to get your rocker cover gaskets done, it's about a $450nz job here in NZ, that equates to about $250 US, so expect to pay $450 US :lol:

Now, I'm not too familiar with what parts are what under the car, but it looks like something may have been dripping off the front diff or transmission. Nothing was dripping when I looked under there, but you could see pretty clearly that the bottom part of this diff/tranny was wet with some substance and it was leaking onto the exhaust. Can anyone tell me what that particular piece is that has some sort of nut that's right over the exhaust? How do I check the level for that piece and what do I need to put in to top it off again. I'm assuming it's the front diff since the nut seems to look very similar to that of the rear diff. Thanks for the help!

Like i said, rocker cover (or cam cover) gasket. There are other things in there that can do it, but the rocker cover is the most common, take it to a mechanic who know's subaru's - or a subaru dealer, and have them take a look.

Oh you are kidding me! Is this something I can do myself? I definitely don't have the money to be doing this crap. What is it that's leaking on the exhaust then? Oil? What's going to happen if I don't screw with it right away. Just got off the phone with the mechanic I normally take my car to. They did the head gaskets during the summer and said that those would have been replaced with the head gaskets since the cams and rockers (not too familiar with the inner workings on the engine) would have had to come out to do head gaskets. They told me to bring it in at some point next week just to get a second opinion. If my head gaskets were done and my mechanic said that those were done too? Is it possible that something else is the matter? This isn't one of those shady mechanics in a chain or anything. I trust these guys, or I think guy because he's the only one that really knows Subarus. They own a small shop, but they do great work at very reasonable prices.

I think that nut you are describing is the transmission drain plug. I highly doubt that's where the drip is, I second Reuben here. Those valve cover gaskets ALWAYS go bad. Just to be sure you can check your trans oil level, it's a yellow dip stick kinda under the throttle body towards the passenger side of the car.

Edit: Sorry I replied before I actually read your latest post :p He's right, they should have replaced it with the HG... You could always get under there and spend a can or two of brake clean completely cleaning the bottom, drive it for a little bit, then look again and you'll have a clear idea of where the leak is coming from.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I haven't checked the transmission level, but I'm beginning to think that that's probably not what it is. However, it seems like the area that's getting dripped on is too far back to be related to the engine. See if this makes any sense. A week back or so, every once in a while I'd smell this burning oil smell and get some dark colored smoke from underneath the hood. Looked under the hood to see oil pooling up on the passenger side of the engine. Found out it's due to a bad oil pressure sensor. Replaced this sensor, and no more bad smell, just this smoke (a little whiter now though). Well I look on that side of the engine and all of the parts there, A arms, some body parts, power steering was covered in caked on oil. I jacked up the car to have a look underneath and I see that my power steering rack is covered in an oil (maybe PS fluid?) and the little plate that's bolted on underneath there (some sort of guard for the PS and tranny?) is dripping what looks like oil. I sprayed a bunch of engine degreasing stuff under there, I wanted to do more, but I didn't want to damage anything. Is there anything under there that would get damaged if I spray mass quantities of that stuff? So I'll drive it for a while, check the fluids and see whats what down there. Thanks for the help! You all are awesome!

Awesome, I'll give that a try and see what happens then. From what I've done before, I haven't had any issues with it yet, but most of my driving has been in the evening recently, and it has to be mid-day in order to see it well enough.

Front main seal? Is that like where the timing belt cover area would be? It seems to be dripping on or near where the catalytic converter is. It seems pretty far back to be related to the engine, I'm no pro though. It rained quite a bit in the last few days and it seems whenever I get out of my car I smell something burning, does that give any more insight? It's like something that was hot got a bunch of water on it maybe? Wow, it's late, I don't even know what I'm saying here, I'll have to try again in the morning. HAHA :lol:

Interesting! Where is the front main seal? Is it where I thought it was? Like behind the timing belt cover? I noticed some oil dripping from that area. How involved of a process is replacing that front main seal? For the most part, I thought that the area where the timing belt is is supposed to stay dry, I didn't think that I should have oil dripping out from underneath the plastic covers. However, if it's spraying like you say it is, then that would explain the buildup of oil and grease on and around the power steering components.

That sucks. I have smoke coming out of my hood too since I bought my legacy wagon. It also smells like burning rubber and oil. Probably an oil leak. Whatever it is, I'll drive it till it dies. Unless someone wants to buy it. But good luck with that.

It's either the cam seals or the crank seal (main). Which involves removing the timing belt and covers, and cam gears. It doesn't matter which one, they should all be changed once you get in there. The seals are directly behind those plastic covers, so that is why it drips down between the block and the covers, right onto the exhaust. Sometimes if the leak is bad it makes it's way inside of the covers. If there is oil inside the timing covers, the belt has to be changed too.

I wouldn't consider it an easy job, but if you just follow a manual step by step, it isn't that bad. The only thing I do which isn't typically in a manual is remove the radiator so I can get better access to the front of the engine. My most recent experience, I used all genuine parts (timing belt, waterpump, 2 cam seals, main seal, bolts, left cover, few other minor things) and it cost ~$220.

Oh wow! Sorry for the late response. We're talking about the front of the engine right? The covers over the timing belt, close to the radiator? Not the rear where the transmission connects? This is confusing to me because the oil is leaking on the exhaust pretty far back, like not even remotely close to that timing cover! I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's dripping onto one of the catalytic converters. I think I'll whip it up on some jacks, maybe take the timing belt covers off tomorrow, and see what's going on. That'll give me an idea of what parts I'll have to order first thing in the morning on my day off, then hopefully I can fix it in the same day!

I'm willing to bet Bdubs is correct on this saying it is the rear main seal. Its quite common for these engines to have this go bad due to them using plastic seals in the early years. Later they switched to metal and that is what I would recommend replacing it with.

Anyhow, yes. It does sit above the transmission (sort of) and the exhaust. And while you're driving, it could potentially splatter all over the place as far forward as your oil pan and as far back as your catalytic converter(s). I just had my replaced after thinking it was a leaking oil pan gasket. But, after some further investigation, sure enough, leaking plastic rear main seal... Hope this helps and good luck!

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived