LegacyGT.com

Rotors keep needing to be resurfaced

str8dwn

With all the traffic in ATL, my rotors keep getting 'warped' and need to be resurfaced. Is this avoidable via aftermarket rotors? After say 5k miles, under heavy braking, the steering wheel pulses or wobbles.

Suggestions on a remedy? Approx how many times can a rotor be surfaced before it needs to be replaced?

next time you resurface the rotors don't use oem pads. i had the same problem and put on hawk hps pads and haven't had a problem since. the factory pads are known to leave deposits on the rotors and cause the problems you described.

Rotors can be turned as many times as you want so long as it still meets the minimum thickness (usually stamped on the rotor). Aftermarket rotors will warp just as quick as the stock ones. I've used power slot rotors on a Camaro SS they lasted right up until a full on hard stop from about 85->0. I finally just went and bought cheap Duralast ones from Auto Zone and they've been surprisingly fantastic, and cheap. I think Baer have a warranty against warping, but we all know the price of those.

Are you sure it's getting warped? It could just be pad deposits that you're feeling being left on the rotors. Next time it happens, rebed the pads and see if that solves it. It's easy to do and what's better than a free process?

Are you sure it's getting warped? It could just be pad deposits that you're feeling being left on the rotors. Next time it happens, rebed the pads and see if that solves it. It's easy to do and what's better than a free process?

x2,

OP do you know how to rebed the pads ?

4 or 5 hard, almost stops from 50mph to 5mph, then drive with out any stops for a mile or so.

Works for me every time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Agreed - your rotors aren't warping, your pads are just getting hot and then you sit in traffic with the pads pressed against the rotor. Deposits are being left on the rotor, causing the steering wheel shake when you brake.

Max hit the nail on the head - You need to re-bed them, and it'll go away.

I agree with the previous posters, your rotors are not warping, you are getting pad transfer from the traffic. Re-bed and you should be fine. Also go with the HPS pads and you'll be in better shape.

-mike

Archived