LegacyGT.com

Rear wiper not returning to correct position (wagon)

sjg

The rear wiper on my 05 Legacy GT Wagon is not returning to the correct position when turned off or on the intermittent setting. It stops at random spots. The only way to get it to stop in the correct spot is to run the wiper and try to turn it of at the exact point when the wiper is in the right spot. Any thoughts?

sounds like a bad motor.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 6 months later...

My 05 wagon just started randomly stopping at different points along the swing of the wiper. Is the arms engagement to mechanism a separate part from the actually rear wiper motor? I have also verified that the nut holding the blade to the shaft is good and tight...and straight/level.

I am wanting to get a better idea of the problem before removing the rear interior trim.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Um, So, I just replaced the wiper switch on the steering column and the wiper is still not returning to zero and stops at random spots when in intermittent mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

I just wanted to share a possible solution for the rear wiper problems. I have already dumped money into a new rear wiper motor and wiper switch that is located on the steering column. The next path was for me to examine wires or replace the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). I searched NASIOC that turned up nothing, but found a possible solution from the guys over at the Subaru Outback forum.

Turns out the wires may be starting to crack in the flexible covering going between the body & rear gate. The main culprit is being reported as the yellow wire with a green stripe. More reading can be found here...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20718

More to come later when I start doing more investigating...

Cheers,

Mike

PS: anyone need a used rear wiper motor and wiper stalk for a wagon?

• 11 months later...
This thread is about a year old but I have a question that pertains to it. The final nut on the outside of the wiper arm, is it reverse threaded or conventional? I'm trying to swap out the motor since the arm connection is stripped but I can't get that final (big) nut off. I sure don't want to tighten it more by cranking on it the wrong way. It doesn't make sense to be reverse threaded but maybe it is. Does anyone know? TIA

• 1 month later...
This thread is about a year old but I have a question that pertains to it. The final nut on the outside of the wiper arm, is it reverse threaded or conventional? I'm trying to swap out the motor since the arm connection is stripped but I can't get that final (big) nut off. I sure don't want to tighten it more by cranking on it the wrong way. It doesn't make sense to be reverse threaded but maybe it is. Does anyone know? TIA

I took my rear wiper motor apart a month or so back. I don't recall the nut being left hand thread, and if it were, I'm pretty sure I'd recall that!

• 7 years later...

Fwiw I just went through this on my 05 wagon. Broken wires in the top of the tailgate just inside the body of the car. Luckily my guy was able to pull them out enough to fix it without taking down the headliner.

Backstory:

My original motor died so a used motor was put in by a local shop I use sometimes, and then intermittent wouldn't work. They then replaced the switch on the wiper stalk and checked fuses but no luck. They told me it was the BCU but I didn't believe that they actually checked the wiring in the roof, so I took it to my regular shop and they immediately found that broken wires were the cause.

Now I don't have to obsessively play "park the wiper so it's not uneven" anymore.....

• 1 year later...
I just had the same thing happen to my 05 wagon. Found the Blue/White wire on the right harness (aft looking forward) broken. Snaked a thicker, more flexible wire (lamp chord) through the boot and soldered it to either end and that fixed the problem.

Sweet! I had a parts car and swapped the motors thinking that was it. Then my next thought was the steering column stalk. Glad I found this thread....saved me some extra work. I will check wiring next. This drives me nuts! Nice work guys!