LegacyGT.com

Are the headlights really this bad?

MZG

so far I have only a few complaints about my 05 LGT wagon, but the main one has to be the headlights.

Stock I would have to say that they are as bad as my e36's before I threw some projectors and xenons in there.

Do you guys think they are out of adjustment or is it just a really poor quality low beem halogen that does it?

by the way, I ordered some 4300k HIDs :)

I think the stock lights are pretty crap. Low beams anyway. I'm not sure what or why it is, but I just never felt like I could see the road well.

Since I put in the HIDs it's like a brand new car. Night visibility isn't just good, it's outstanding. High beams are next to useless.

Stock lights are pretty crappy. I replaced both my regular and high beams.

I used Osram Hiper 65w (which are not approved for public roads - but no one seems to care)

and some new HIR halogen high beams

Visibility and performance was soooo much better as soon as the new headlights were installed

I think the stock lights are pretty crap. Low beams anyway. I'm not sure what or why it is, but I just never felt like I could see the road well.

Since I put in the HIDs it's like a brand new car. Night visibility isn't just good, it's outstanding. High beams are next to useless.

HID's = win!

As for the high beams being useless, I have a suggestion. As we all know, HID's are a bad idea on high beams, unless you constantly keep them on (in which case, I hate you!)

However, there is an alternative. It was hard to find out about these, but they are called HIR's, high intensity reflectors. They are like halogens in that they have no warmup time unlike HID's.

I put these in my high beams, with 6000K's in my low beams, and lemme tell ya, these bulbs light up the night. Where my projector beams only go up to that line, aligned correctly, these HIR's light up everything you can see in a 180 degree sphere in front of you for really far down the road.

Check it out:

http://hirheadlights.com/

You can read about the details there.

I'd love to see your pics.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

so far I have only a few complaints about my 05 LGT wagon, but the main one has to be the headlights.

Stock I would have to say that they are as bad as my e36's before I threw some projectors and xenons in there.

Do you guys think they are out of adjustment or is it just a really poor quality low beem halogen that does it?

by the way, I ordered some 4300k HIDs :)

Yep, HIDs is the way to go to boost output. And if you're really ambitious, RX330 non-AFS HID projectors are a pretty easy retrofit for OEM goodness (I've been doing lots of reading on this in preparation for my upcoming Weekend of Headlight Awesomeness). MiniStiGuy has a thread on the retro...

That said, I didn't think the stock halogens were bad when I first got the car - it's only now that I'm back to using them while waiting to do my retro that I miss my HIDs...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

The high beams in my Outback seem alright, but the low beams are TERRIBLE.

I guess for someone coming from a car with crappy optics, they'd be OK. But coming from a modified-headlight Forester and a First-generation (face-lifted) Legacy, I've had two Subaru's in a row that have had awesome head lights.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 12 years later...
Anyone tried these? I guess I'm gonna be a guinea pig, and will report back cuz the low beams in my son's 2005 Legacy wagon are beyond horrible, totally unsafe

https://www.lasfit.com/products/2x-lasfit-cree-h7-led-headlight-kit-high-low-beam-fog-light-bulb-fanless-6000k?rq=na_led-bulbs~mk_subaru~md_legacy~yr_2005~zq_wagon

They were a fail - going back, still looking dangit

• 3 months later...

Nice. I did the same a while back. You will be happy and can always upgrade those bulbs to the ones linked above if you need a little more output. Plug and play OEM quality works for me and this car with its intended purpose.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk