LegacyGT.com

TPMS - I ran two sets of wheels with no light!!!

Mr. Sinister

I'm actually surprised this is still "alive" as a method. You can buy programmable TPMS sensors from Schrader and probably other brands now. You can just program both sets of TPMS to have the same IDs and not worry about all the other nonsense anymore.

Forgive my ignorance, but if you go that route do you have to buy 8 of the new TPMS or can you buy 4 in addition to the OEM set and do it that way.

Somehow I missed all of this... :spin:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way you have to get 4 new tpms sensors for the tires you plan to use.

It seems like more money but buy the programmable ones!!! It is way more a pain in the a** to buy some cheap tpms and then go this route.

I also wish I bought that Ateq sensor thing from other posts while I had the codes available on the tpms I put into the winter tires.

I will win though! If brute force isn't working then you aren't using enough!!! And money too!

Edited by supergokougt
More fun

Forgive my ignorance, but if you go that route do you have to buy 8 of the new TPMS or can you buy 4 in addition to the OEM set and do it that way.

Somehow I missed all of this... :spin:

You can just buy 4 programmables, and program them to match the IDs of your OEMs. You will need to find a shop that has the proper programming tools first, because they cost about $1000. After that though, you don't have to screw with anything anymore.

You can just buy 4 programmables, and program them to match the IDs of your OEMs. You will need to find a shop that has the proper programming tools first, because they cost about $1000. After that though, you don't have to screw with anything anymore.

Well - For ~$350 and 5 minutes worth of work the ATEQ Quickset seems to be the answer ($150) & 4 Sensors (~$50 each = $200)

Tirerack even lists that they can supply 4 Sensors for a 2009 LGT for $144 ($36/Each), you just need to get them programmed, so spending $1K just for sensors that don't need to programmed is ludicrous:cool:

$1K? TPMS unit for my 2011 was $100 and I bought 4 sensors here under $100. The pain in the ass of programming the keyless entry after and getting to the unit in the car has been the pain.

Had to mount tires anyways so that just gets added in. But you can add $80 for comparison.

If you have the sensors the ATEQ is cheaper i think.

• 6 years later...

Please take a look at this page from the TPMS section of the service manual. Are you sure unplugging the module doesn't result in the light being off. Reading this page, I concluded that when the RED/YELLOW wire is grounded, the stupid light comes on. Cut RED/YELLOW wire, no more stupid light. Will have to inspect the TPM module to see if I see a RED/YELLOW wire. Or again maybe if you just unplug the module? I'm still at the stage of trying to find the module in my 2009 Outback under the carpet flap! :lol:

718841751_TPMPIN2.jpg.1f6537c74edab59fe3c90c70b586de16.jpg

I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light on the dash.

Shortly after have new tires mounted, the light came on. Test said two of the batteries died in the sensors, that was almost 4 years ago. Still have the tape, don't see the light.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
Please take a look at this page from the TPMS section of the service manual. Are you sure unplugging the module doesn't result in the light being off. Reading this page, I concluded that when the RED/YELLOW wire is grounded, the stupid light comes on. Cut RED/YELLOW wire, no more stupid light. Will have to inspect the TPM module to see if I see a RED/YELLOW wire. Or again maybe if you just unplug the module? I'm still at the stage of trying to find the module in my 2009 Outback under the carpet flap! :lol:

[ATTACH]286973[/ATTACH]

Hey, just saw your PM. Don't check the boards often anymore, I just happened to be on today trying to find the post about the climate control/stereo flicker. Anyway...

It's been a while (9 years!) since I did this. According to my own post, just unplugging it won't turn the light off. I'm assuming I tested that back then.

IIRC, one of the computers expected a signal from the module every X seconds. If it didn't get it, the light would come one. Hope this helps.

Once you know where the module is, you'll be able to unplug it w/o removing the seat if your hands are small enough. You can see from the pics that I pulled the seat the first time I did it.