LegacyGT.com

TPMS - I ran two sets of wheels with no light!!!

Mr. Sinister

Its not the cost to register the wheels each season that bothers me it's the fact Subaru makes you leave the car for the entire day to do it.

Why they don't use common sense to allow two sets of wheels irritates the hell out of me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the cost to register the wheels each season that bothers me it's the fact Subaru makes you leave the car for the entire day to do it.

That's the dealer's fault. It takes less than five minutes to register the sensors plus any road test should they decide to do so.

Just found this on iwsti. It is another inexpensive method to run multiple wheel sets without having to go to the dealer for tpms. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-tires-wheels/181023-tpms-reset-tool.html

I wish I would have known this a month ago. I would have ordered the sensors with my winter wheels from tirerack. Next time I replace the snow tires, I'll make sure to have sensors installed.

There are tools available and/or are coming soon. Autel makes a reasonably priced kit, it seems and I don't think they're the only ones.

http://www.auteltech.com/tpms901.htm

http://www.auteltech.com/maxitire.htm

The maxitire doesn't explicitly list Subaru as compatible, but the 501 says it will work for every vehicle released to date. It will be interesting to see how much it costs when it's available.

Also, forgive my cross posting, but here's a guy that seems to have put most of the pieces together:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-tires-wheels/181023-tpms-reset-tool.html

I'm guessing the ideal solution will become affordable for the average joe in the near future. In the meantime, there's a way to make it work.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I drove it close to 75 miles and light is still on. I just looked at both the modules. I believe you are correct on the part number. The one on the 07 is a 28201AG02A and the one on the 08 is a 28201AG06A. I can't believe they are that different... I guess I will find out. I have an appointment at the dealership to see if they can re-program it. Edited by CapnJack
Corrected part numbers

Well, the dealership visit didn't go so well... As they were pulling the car on the lift, they punctured one of my tires. Crap... I have to give them props though. They are buying me four new tires and a new rim.

The search begins for new snow tires since the Dunlop Wintersport M3s are sold out for the season.

UPDATE -

Dealer ordered me new snow tires and a new rim. I had them installed tonight and found out the two TPMS modules are NOT compatible between an 08 and an 07. I walked though it with the Subaru Tech and the 07 module will accept the sensor numbers, but will NOT read tire pressure while installed in an 08 model. The 08 module WILL read and accept the sensors from the 07 though!

So I'm now running 07 wheels, with 07 sensors, on an 08 Legacy 3.0R with the 08 TPMS module. Looks like I'll have to buy another module.

Edited by CapnJack

• 2 years later...

I have a 2011 Legacy and need some help.

I should have just used electrical tape for my winter tires :mad: !!!

But at this point I have two sets wheels, tires, tpms and a keyless entry unit/tpms computer.

I can not find where it goes under the seat and then I am worried about having to reprogram my keyless entry fobs to this new unit.

Does anyone have the information on and pictures for this?

I'm actually surprised this is still "alive" as a method. You can buy programmable TPMS sensors from Schrader and probably other brands now. You can just program both sets of TPMS to have the same IDs and not worry about all the other nonsense anymore.

I'm actually surprised this is still "alive" as a method. You can buy programmable TPMS sensors from Schrader and probably other brands now. You can just program both sets of TPMS to have the same IDs and not worry about all the other nonsense anymore.

Thanks - thought I was saving money buying TPMS off this forum, little did I know the trouble it would cause.