LegacyGT.com

Squealing noise...

gdnbmtggg

I'm new to this forum, so first of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone, and thanks for all the info. I have already found lots of great tips here, but I have a problem that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet.

While I was driving with the windows down today, I noticed a strange high-pitched squealing noise coming from my car. It seems to only make this noise while accelerating, and only >4,000 rpm. I never noticed until now because it is not loud enough to hear with the windows rolled up. (I live in Montana, so there is only a 3-4 month time frame when I don't have the windows up) The belts and pulleys seem to be alright. I thought maybe a vacuum leak, but everything *appears* to be in order. Has anyone here had this problem before? I can't seem to figure it out. The car drives just fine besides making this noise. I drive a 97 Legacy L with about 100,000mi. on the odometer, BTW.

Thanks for reading; sorry for the long post.

Could be the belts if it only happens at high RPMs. do they have any cracking? When was the last time you replaced them?

I have heard of the power steering pump squeal too, is it full?

I also had a squeak in my clutch fork, but that happened all the time.

No joke, have someone stand behind the car and rev it a few good times in neutral. My car had some strange high pitch squealing and I couldn't find it. Turns out, the mufflers on these cars are known for making a high pitch sound about that RPM when they are no good anymore. I replaced it and problem solved.

(this ofcourse after already replacing the power steering pump thinking this was the culprit which was not the case.)

Other than that, the power steering pump reservoir is prone to a high pitch sound when it's leaking, or the bearings on the pulley are shot.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the belts, they're pretty new still, no cracking or banding. I'll take a look at the PS pump reservoir and double-check the pulley to make sure everything's on the up and up. Come to think of it, the sound could be more of a whistle than a squeal, so I'm inclined to believe it's the exhaust. When my girlfriend gets home, I'll have her listen by the muffler... or maybe the chivalrous thing to do would be to let her rev while I suck in the exhaust fumes.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

• 5 years later...
Where are the vacuum hoses located ? I'm having the same problem ; my whistle doesn't start until I'm above 30mph and goes away at 50ish , I do t think it's the turbo , even though it happens while accelerating ..... You don't hear it <30 no matter how hard you press the gas ....help! Pictures of vacuum hoses ?

Archived