LegacyGT.com

sloppy feeling shifter

1-3-2-4

I'm looking at one that "says" it fits like a '97-98 impreza However from what I hear the pre 97's had a different style shifter then the rest. if it was not getting so dark I would go out and check it.

Haha. Totally understandable. Let us know what you end up finding out and doing.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Which ones?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-16-1601-Red-Shifter-Bushing/dp/B00386W830/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336598693&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Prothane 16-1601 Red Shifter Bushing Kit: Automotive[/ame]

and a shift knob from a '08 should fit mine right?

Yeah. It looks like those would work. I can't really tell what the size of them is though. And, as far as I know, all Subaru MT shift knobs are interchangeable.

Did you ever replace your rear bushing? I hear it's a bit harder to get to but maybe I can do that at a later date. i checked the underside of my shifter plate yesterday and those little clips that hold the plate which secures the boot broke or is missing the clips :-/

once I replace the boot I'm just going to glue it in place.

Yeah. I replaced all my bushing as they came with the shifter when I bought it. There was one that was way up high above the transmission that was a little bit of a pest. But, it really wasn't all that bad. A little patience and it's replaced in no time.

lol ended up not being that bad..

The old shifter knuckle was more involved the pin was easy somewhat.. for some reason just the larger pin worked the smaller inside one the punch never touched it at all.. I gave about 2 min of heat then gave it some aerokroil then about 10 hits with the sledge hammer (2.5lb) it came right out.

now getting the knuckle off was hard with just heat and aerokroil so I took out the sawzall and made a cut just deep enough so I got down to the shift rod gave more heat and aerokroil and it came right off.

My phone was skipping lots of frames so the video is a little messed up one one of these.

Also what is that metal bracket on the transmission passenger side that comes down under of the rear housing?

Video of the joint removal.

Inside the access cover.

removed some of that grease on the side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Photos/IMAG1107-1.jpg

was under my car today and maybe I was looking from the wrong side but it seems better to remove the driveshaft? Anyways this is my stock rear bushing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Photos/IMAG0271.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've been wrestling with this job over the last week or so. So far, I've gotten off the transmission crossmember, broke the two studs on the transmission mount, and had to buy a new one.

I've knocked the pins out of the shift rod, and am at the point where I need to pull on the shifter fork from inside the car to divorce it from the shift rod. Much easier said than done, I've found.

I've been spraying it with penetrating oil over the last couple days, and am considering trying heat at this point. Also, 1-2-3-4 (or whatever the number combo is), did you use the sawzall with the transmission off the car? Because I'm starting to get desperate...

No sawzall.. I used a torch (be careful with the rubber and undercoating) Got it hot and I sprayed on kroil on it so it was smoking to get in the gaps, I used my pickle fork and it came right off the shift rod.

Archived