LegacyGT.com

sloppy feeling shifter

1-3-2-4

So from what I understand it's the shifter bushings.. however how many bushings does the shifter have? from the Service manual it seems it only has one...

not looking to spend $33+ for a little rubber part.. :spin:

Yeah, AFAIK there's only one that really matters. I don't have any at all (they wore away to nothingness), it's quite shameful how much slop i have

And yep, expect to pay that much.

Which shifter bushing do you need to replace to get rid of some that slop?

I have 97 that when its in gear you can move the shifter about an inch side to side.

I would love to get rid of some of that terrible slop.

I have the same problem and it's annoying shifting like I have to know. I don't think it has ever been changed and I'm at 198k now

here's your answer:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564285&highlight=shifter

or if you cant get in:

bushings wont do anything. You need to replace the shifter knuckle rubber bushings, or you can do the whole shifter knuckle. It looks like this http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/legacy1907/shifterknuckle.jpg

You can see the rubber/plastic bushings im talking about, well most likely yours completely worn out allowing the shifter to have an insane amount of slop. Replacing these will help eliminate the slop. The parts I am talking about are A in this diagram

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/legacy1907/shifty_742a.jpg

The pin you need to knock out to take off the whole knuckle is a double roll pin so you need to knock out the inside first. This completely fixed my problem after i installed kartboy bushings that didnt do anything.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/legacy1907/shifterknuckle.jpg

Thats the culprit, thanks guys.. I dunno if I feel like breaking my wrists (big hands, big guy) trying to change that in my back yard.. sucks.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753869

On my car 1998 legacy L wagon, the knuckle tubes that the bushings press into, are actually BENT. Don't ask me how I bought the car like this the lady must have really been f-ing obsessed with making sure its in neutral slamming it back and forth but the shifter is so sloppy right now at 184,000 miles it looks like it's in any gear on that side of the box.

In 5'th? make a right turn, and it will look like you're in first it's really bad, but it's an easy fix.

1 bolt, and 2 spring clips (herd as heck to remove, but once you get it replaced itll be like new.)

^ almost like me.. the car was in neutral.. so I was like ok and i let off the clutch (still had ebrake up) and the car stalled and lurched forward.. I was like WTF??

so to this day I'm carful letting up the clutch.. I just came back from a drive and in gear I can move the shifter side to side about 4 inches...

The above part is that a dealer part I can buy?

how much are they going to rape me for it? $100? lol

yes that's a dealer item, not quite sure how much it costs but If I had to guess I'd say something in the 25-30 range.

Go to dealer parts counter, and show them those photos print them out.

I have read that there is an updated version that has no spring clips just 2 bolts for easier install, read about it in the last link in my post up there they might list a part number for the revised items which will be easier to re-install.

Some people went as far as rebushing brand new knuckles before they even installed them because with oversized bushings it'll really never happen again.

My thing is, with this many miles - the car won't last long enough for it to get that sloppy again I don't wiggle the shifter I just know if I'm in neutral or not lol.

• 5 months later...

holy crap I finally saw this part under the car.. yes it was rusty but holy hell how do you get to the part?? I HOPE by taking the shifter out in the car I have more room to play with under the car.. it's friken tight...

Yup. It is a bit tight, but not impossible to get to. Just make sure you have both hands available and adequate lighting and you'll be fine. Also, another person is ALWAYS handy. And yes, removing the shifter and unlinking everything from the top first does help quite a bit. I had to replace this knuckle when I got my new short-throw shifter and it actually was much easier than I thought it would be. Good luck!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I might do this if I think an inch of play is horrible... Probably not. In either case, can we have the part number to refer to so that when this thread is searched we can just order the part? Im all about using forums as a database.

• 2 years later...

damn I just ran into this thread on google search the car in the picture and my avatar was totaled last year I'm with a 97 Outback now.. I did finally pick up the shifter joint in the picture above.. but question.. shifter bushings for a 98 outback will fit a 97 right? For some reason they all list 98-05 but leave out the 97.

product in question is the Prothane 16-1601

Yes. All second generation legacy's/outbacks have the same shifter and linkage. Should be fine.

I haven't yet I've gotta pull the transmission out of my outback so I figure I would do this stuff now, I would like a short shifter but I can't find which I should avoid. Then I wonder how the short shifter is going to play with a already notchy transmission.

I ended up getting an AVO short shifter which I've been using for over 12 years in my '99 LGT. Never had a problem at all. In fact, never even had to change bushings or anything and the throw is easily 30-40 percent less than stock. Of course, this was in '99 or '00 when I bought it. I have no idea if they sell it anymore. What shifters are you looking at?

I've never been able to find a Kartboy short shifter fo rmy '90's Gen 2's. Which one are you looking at exatctly?

Well, each generation of Legacy has a different linkage and position on top of the transmission. So, they won't all fit. Gen2's should be interchangable without any issue. I just haven't found a reasonable shifter that fits the Gen2's lately. Everything seems so generic...

Hmm when you say interchangeable are you saying with like imprezas and such? I'm trying to figure what's the downsides to having a short shifter.. Also I know I think it's the B&M shifter I think that one fits?

I had a buddy that used an Impreza short shifter in his '98 LGT and, if I remember correctly, it bolted directly up. Don't quote me, though. As far as interchangeability goes, any '95-'99 Legacy shifter will work in your car. Not sure about the B&M shifter. I've never heard of it.

Archived