LegacyGT.com

Question about a safe payment/paperwork method

WhiteH2O

It looks like I might be selling a car to a person in another state. The plan is to ship him the car after paperwork and payment are completed. The person isn't close enough to meet in person.

The buyer and I are trying to come up with a safe way for him to pay for the car and do paperwork. I think it is safe to say that we both trust each other, but we want to do this safely anyways.

Paypal costs too much to use, and neither of us want to pay for an escrow company. So, is there anything better than sending a cashier's check via FedEx? It seems like there should be a safer way for both of us.

Also, how does the paperwork work? Do I just send the signed title and bill of sale over for him to sign?

If anyone has found a good way to do this, please enlighten us.

I searched, but didn't find anything helpful.

Wire is good $20 or so. Also called a fed funds wire. The sender can provide you with the FF wire confirm # and everyhing will be on the up and up. Let us know how it works out. Btw, tell the buyer to use uShip to ship it for cheap.
Rehab is for quitters.

use money orders.

just an example

(the percentages are up to you two of course)

he sends you the money orders for %75 of the total.

you deposit them and send him the title.

then deliver the car and receive your other %25 of payment.

A) Don't trust him. Cynical I know, but you can't trust anyone until after the deal takes place. Read the Nasioc Scammers forum.

B) I like Jah's point with one minor change. Get %75 for the title. Once he has the title, the car is his but in your posession. Get the balance once the car is on the truck. A lot of car shipping companies actually have tracking numbers and confirmation numbers. Get the remaining 25% once a tracking number is issued.

I'd do wire-transfers too. Banks usually only charge a small fee ($20 to $30 or so), so it's no big thing.

Sorry I couldn't buy it. The wife said we need a wagon. I did get an 09 OutbackXT though!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Get the remaining 25% once a tracking number is issued.

I'd do wire-transfers too. Banks usually only charge a small fee ($20 to $30 or so), so it's no big thing.

Sorry I couldn't buy it. The wife said we need a wagon. I did get an 09 OutbackXT though!

The shipping company does have a great tracking system, so that is a great idea.

I wired money when I bought the car, and I think my bank will let me wire money for free. I guess that doesn't matter much, becuase it is him that will be doing the wire transfer, not me, but it seems faster and safer than any other way.

It is a bummer you couldn't get it, it would be nice to see it go home to the East Coast again, but we all have our needs. The guy that wants it now has some good plans for it including AVCS heads and some other goodies.

yes Make sure you get 75% of the money and do not send him the title of the car. Also have him sign something saying he will pay the rest of the money when he gets the car and make sure it is notarized at a bank. Make copies of all things, and just write up a mock bill of sale and send it to him. BUT DO NOT SEND TITLE TO HIM until you get all the money and it is good in the bank. A Good know bank like US bank or BOA cashiers check or postal money order only is what you should take from him. Postal money orders can be tracked and so can bank checks.

Archived