LegacyGT.com

Cobb turboback installed today

Wang Lung

Downpipe has been on for about six months, and had the rest installed today. It's pretty loud. I like it, but I'm worried about Mrs. Lung. She'll have to borrow my car later on this week, so we'll see how it goes.

Temporarily put my stock cans back on, it's just too loud. I just spent $2400 on audio equipment and I can't even hear it. It felt like I had a 250 hp subwoofer blasting my back.

I will have a muffler shop put a resonator in and re-install the Cobb cans.

Having said that, I highly recommend the product. After the install, which included Tarmac 1's, I drove up hwy 49 to Downieville. It's about a 120 mile round trip through the Sierra's. I've made that trip about twenty times since I got my car last Summer. I never had so much fun driving. The sound lets you interface with your car in a way you can not do when it is quiet. The coilover's allowed me to add fourth gear. I doubt I exceeded 4000 rpm's more than a couple of times the whole way. You can hear the turbo kick in at 3000 rpm's in a very subtle way. Your rpm's don't increase, but the engine gains momentum. It's like a cam getting on top of the engine. You go from a pulling sensation to a pushing sensation. It made it apparent that I over drive a lot.

I need to find a way to allow that interface and not get a headache. Or at least be able to talk on the phone.

Had the Muffler Shack in Citrus Heights install a resonator.

Putting a resonator on a Cobb TBE is like telling your newlywed Wife to "go put some clothes on". I did it. I don't feel good about it. It is against everything I believe in. But I work out of this car and it just didn't work for me. When I take this car out of official service, I'll remove the resonator.

BTW. Resonator = same tone, lower decibels. 25-30% less, IMO.

So Cobb doesnt include/make optional silencers for the tips? I love my JIC exhaust but sadly without the tip silencers it is obnoxiously crazy loud. Its an injustice to plug up a high-flow TBE but sometimes driving sanity must be considered.

Had the Muffler Shack in Citrus Heights install a resonator.

Putting a resonator on a Cobb TBE is like telling your newlywed Wife to "go put some clothes on". I did it. I don't feel good about it. It is against everything I believe in. But I work out of this car and it just didn't work for me. When I take this car out of official service, I'll remove the resonator.

BTW. Resonator = same tone, lower decibels. 25-30% less, IMO.

Do you know what kind of resonator they installed?

• 2 months later...

Archived