LegacyGT.com

Stupid DEALERS! Rant inside...

I had my oil changed at Subaru of Wakefield for the 3K mile oil change. I would have done it myself if it wasn't cold and snowing (last Monday)... I started the car yesterday and when it started up it was blowing blue smoke... I thought, "Oh great, right when I go stage 2, something happens." But it went away after about 2-3 seconds and it ran fine. I drove down to a friends house and the car sat for about 10 hours. When I went to leave, it blew the smoke again, this time for about 5 seconds and really thick. I get home and hit the forums and do some searching. I found that some people have hit the oil supply bolt that would let oil into the outlet of the turbo during the DP install... Not the case. I then tried the WRX forums and many many threads had the same problem I did...I came to the conclusion that I had TOO MUCH OIL... I pulled the O-ring off the dipstick and checked the level. It was about an inch past the F on the dipstick... I pull out the ramps, and drain the oil. The freaking morons at the dealer put in over 6 quarts! I put new oil in and replaced the filter. It hasn't blown any smoke since. The dealer has plaques all over that lets you know that Master certified Subaru techs only work on the cars... BS, not once have I ever overfilled my engine oil...especially when I asked them to put synthetic in, and they had to use individual quarts instead of the pump. God damn idiots...

I swear the people at the dealerships have no sense at all. I got the car from Ira Subaru in Danvers. After all the paperwork was completed they needed to put the inspection sticker on it. The tech who put the inspection sticker on it ripped the leather on the steering wheel from one side to the other getting into the car with a pocket knife in his hand and I WATCHED HIM do it.... He then proceeds to tell me that I did it and I hadn't even taken delivery of the car yet! I swore I would never purchase another car from Ira again or take my car back to them for service.

GRRRRRR I just needed to rant

I called the dealer and spoke to the service manager... It was like talking to a wall. I told him what my car was doing and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, well bring it in and we can have one of our "Master Certified Subaru Techs" look at it. I chuckled and stated, well one of your "Master certified Subaru techs" over filled my oil when they changed it on Monday. He said, "Your not a tech are you? How can you tell that its over filled?" I chuckled again and said, its not hard to open the hood and check the level on the dispstick. Which he replied with you can't tell the level accurately with that... I repsond with, then how do the Master techs check? He says nothing. He then goes on stating that he is looking at the factory service manual and it states that the Legacy take 5.8 quarts of oil... haha yeah... the H6 does! I state well my owners manual states that the turbo motor only takes 4.2 quarts. I get this "We always put more oil in the turbo motors because its natural for them to burn oil, and adding more oil prevents damage by too much oil consumption and owners not checking their oil level on a weekly basis! I just completely start laughing and tell him that there was over 6 quarts of oil in my motor and that that much oil can cause the oil to become frothy... which the oil pump cannot pump.. He bables on that it can't happen and his techs know what they are doing... I laughed, told him that he will never see my business again and SOA and SNE will hear about it. At that point his attitued comepletely changed, he said that he only follows the book! I just hung up... I sent an email to SOA... I can't wait to see what they say!

Certainly lots of crappy stories out there.

I've been very happy with the dealer here. Thankfully I've had a couple very long talks with the service manager since I bought the car. Nothing specific but just trying to develop a relationship in the event that any of the crap 05Legacy has described happens .......

It's probably not the Master Tech doing the work. It's probably some junior co-op student or some newbie in the dealership doing the oil changes. Oil changes are pretty "low on the totem pole" jobs and I'm sure the dealership gets the grunts to do the work.

It's probably not the Master Tech doing the work. It's probably some junior co-op student or some newbie in the dealership doing the oil changes. Oil changes are pretty "low on the totem pole" jobs and I'm sure the dealership gets the grunts to do the work.

Exactly, which sucks because I would have done it myself if it wasnt snowing on my only day off lol... What pissed me off was how many times he said Master Tech.... Give me a break...

StupidDent: I plan on it!

The Service Manager there is a Moron! He could'nt find his "backside" with both of his hands! To lie like that....

Sorry, that makes me very mad. I had a similar incident happen to me years ago at a Ford dealership. I filed a complaint with the BBB and wrote a letter to the State Attorney General.....in short, after an investigation, the dealership was minus a couple of employees.

So the Svc, Mgr asked you to bring it back so they could check it...and you didn't. So how do you expect them to do anything about it?

I think it has to do more with them owning up to their mistake. It's natural for people to immediately get defensive, but a lot of times a simple apology with a promise that it won't happen again would suffice.

So the Svc, Mgr asked you to bring it back so they could check it...and you didn't. So how do you expect them to do anything about it?

It was my mistake for starting the conversation with him that my car was blowing blue smoke. I didn't expect them to do anything, I just wanted to hear something along the lines of "where sorry it wont happen again." But all I got was "we have to over fill the turbo motors..." They wouldn't have been able to do anything even if I had taken the car in. I had already rectified the situation and the smoking had stopped.

I think it has to do more with them owning up to their mistake. It's natural for people to immediately get defensive, but a lot of times a simple apology with a promise that it won't happen again would suffice.

Exactly, I would have completely taken an apology, and gladly take my car there for service if it ever needs any warranty work, but I got the run around and complete asinine answers... Who the hell over fills an engine because its a turbo???? What really made it worse was the manager telling me that I was wrong and only qualified techs can check oil... haha

I know the very few times when a customer calls with an issue that "supposedly" we did, I have them bring it in but I do not admit fault until I see it. Then I apologize and compensate them.

Case in point. I had a customer one time complain because her one tire was repair due to a flat and she said her tires were unsafe and that we passed them for inspection a month earlier. She wanted us to give her brand new tires. Of course I would admit to anything and asked if she can bring it in so we can inspect them. After hours of her arguing and me holding my ground, she brought it in.

Upon inspection and checking of the alignment(all good and in spec) by the Service manager, myself and my techs, 3 of the 4 tires had 4/32nds of tread and the one that was repair was worn on the outside. Chances are she drove on the tire when it had a nail and it caused the outside of the tire to wear. All the tires are the same age and mileage, but one that had a nail in it was worn on the outside. yet the others were fine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened.

Sometimes customers will lie and try and get over on you. However, you still have to be professional and not give excuses or admit anything until it is examined and verified.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Sometimes customers will lie and try and get over on you. However, you still have to be professional and not give excuses or admit anything until it is examined and verified.

Definitely. The key is to not give excuses though. A simple "I'm sorry you're having problems. If you bring it in, we'll be glad to check it out for you." would appease most people without admitting any guilt.

Happened to me once with a Subaru dealership. No smoke, but I always check the oil dipstick after any oil change. My service person was always great. They acknowledge the problem. fixed it, and gave me an oil change for free.

It seems like they always put too much in for some reason.

X

---

Definitely. The key is to not give excuses though. A simple "I'm sorry you're having problems. If you bring it in, we'll be glad to check it out for you." would appease most people without admitting any guilt.

Yep. All you have to do is offer and look it over for them.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived