LegacyGT.com

New Legacy owner question

Hi guys and gals. First off, let me start by saying what a great website this is. My name is Kevin, and I have just purchased a 2005 Legacy 2.5i sedan. This is the first Subaru I have owned, so I know nothing about the brand or the car. I have owned only hondas so this is a new experience for me. I do have somewhat of a concern or worry about the car tho.

First a little background on my car. Its a 2005 Legacy 2.5i (wish it was a gt tho) regal blue with 74,500 miles on it. Carfax pulled up that it is a one owner car that had a commerical lease, which means it was a company car for some company, so I am assuming the miles are all highway.

Before purchasing the car, I did all the necessary research on the car as possible (carfax, word of mouth from other subaru owners, etc), and I decided on buying the car. I love the body style of the new legacys, and when I saw this one that was in my price range, I jumped at it. It could be me, but I have noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine when it accelerates ( only when the windows are down). Like I said before, I know nothing about Subaru engines and the external sounds they produce, so I was wondering if it is something to be worried about, or is it normal for the engine to sound that way. I live in Connecticut and it is law that all dealerships provide at least a 60 day/3,000 miles warranty on all used cars, and I only had it three days. So is it something I need to address now, I'll be cover under the warranty.

Any information will be greaty appreicated

is it a ticking noise or a noise that sounds like you're passing by a field of crickets? the latter is what I just started to come across with my '06

since it's been warming out and the windows have been down, I notice a new noise - it starts when I let off the gas (mostly in 4th gear around 40-45 mph) and then will continue for a split second when I get back on the gas.

it's rare that I hear it at any other speed but today the wife and I noticed it today at approx 25 mph in 3rd gear

I'm bringing the car in on Thursday, I'll let you know what it is - if this indeed pertains to your situation

At idle, the sound is not there, but as soon as I push the gas, the noice starts at around 10 mph. It almost sounds like I need a valve job or something.

Or maybe I'm just being too neat picking cause I only had the car for 4 days

better safe than sorry. take it in.

boxers have a natural quiet tick @ idle, especially while warming up.

it shouldn't wait for certain speeds to start ticking.

if the ticking increases as you accelerate, then yeah likely a valve job is in order.

could just be an exhaust shield rattling.

have it looked at, warranty work for the win.

^^^sounds more like worn drive belts then to me.

+1, this is what I'm thinking is happening.

I just took her into a parking garage so I can hear the noise better and it sounds exactly like worn belts - it's started to do it at all speeds in all gears now.

Another way of describing the noise is that it almost sounds like an old-school VW Beetle driving near me.

On a side note, do you know if this is covered under an extended warranty? I have 39,000 miles on this car and belts are already wearing out?:confused:

+1, this is what I'm thinking is happening.

I just took her into a parking garage so I can hear the noise better and it sounds exactly like worn belts - it's started to do it at all speeds in all gears now.

Another way of describing the noise is that it almost sounds like an old-school VW Beetle driving near me.

On a side note, do you know if this is covered under an extended warranty? I have 39,000 miles on this car and belts are already wearing out?:confused:

i bought my '00 @ 62,000 and just replaced the drive belts @ 96,000. it definitely had some cricket chirp going on beforehand.

not sure about warranty. it cost around $150 @ the dealership. it drove a lot happier after having them replaced.

I have the same car with same issue sounds like the car is low on oil especially when it's colder. once the car is warmed up it goes away. I brought into the dealership and they told me this was normal. Doesn't sound like they want to honor my warranty. Any one here think this is normal?

I have the same car with same issue sounds like the car is low on oil especially when it's colder. once the car is warmed up it goes away. I brought into the dealership and they told me this was normal. Doesn't sound like they want to honor my warranty. Any one here think this is normal?

thats the piston slap. its a Subie/boxer thing. it is normal.

when it dosent go away after a warm up, then its an issue.

Well after further research, I have come to the conclusion that the sound that I tried describing to you guys is just the nautral sound that the boxer engine produces. But it does hurt taking to the dealership to have looked at just to be on the safe size. I think that I am just alittle paranoid having a nice car and knowing little about it I guess.

Well after further research, I have come to the conclusion that the sound that I tried describing to you guys is just the nautral sound that the boxer engine produces. But it does hurt taking to the dealership to have looked at just to be on the safe size. I think that I am just alittle paranoid having a nice car and knowing little about it I guess.

You don't need to go to the dealer, I have crystal ball, and I know what they will say. They will say it is perfectly normal, and not to worry about it :lol:

Seriously though, you have warranty, take advantage of it.

I'm not worried about it, I have a warranty as well. This isn't my first Subaru so I'm familiar with the boxer engine sound. I think the Tick I have sounds like a valve slap or lifters or timing belt? but I'm pretty certain this ticking isn't normal...I'll let you know what they find...

I'm not worried about it, I have a warranty as well. This isn't my first Subaru so I'm familiar with the boxer engine sound. I think the Tick I have sounds like a valve slap or lifters or timing belt? but I'm pretty certain this ticking isn't normal...I'll let you know what they find...

yea please keep me informed on what you find busteradams.

I have an 05 2.5i with 111K on the clock at this point - it makes a variety of noises, but the most prevalent are the tick at idle during warmup (which is normal) and the occasional rattle from a heat sheild underneath. At around 90kish I felt like I was getting some other loose rattle from the bay, like a pulley or tensioner. I had had the drive belts done at 60K so I assumed TB. I had that done at 100k and it's been good since.

It does give off the "aircooled vw" sound now and then but it's a boxer. On the plus side I'm still seeing 26mpg on 87 octane.

When i started the car up today, I did notice something wierd. I looked down at the gauges and noticed that when I turned the key to start it up, all the gauge lights (AWD, oil, battery, etc) lit up up expect for the check engine light. I just found it wierd that it didnt blink. Any suggestions

Hey guys I didn't get a chance to take mine into dealer but after reading some more forums I found this

http://www.butkus.org/subaru/piston_slap/subaru_piston_slap.htm

this is exactly what's happening and I am ready to defend myself at the dealer. I don't think it's a major problem but I just want fixed before my warranty runs out. Hopefully them taking my motor apart doesn't cause more issues... I will let you know what they say.

Archived