LegacyGT.com

perrin mid: flex joint rattle

Billy Dagwood

Ok, I have a Perrin DP, mid, and Y. The flex joint in the mid pipe is banging up against the driveshaft shield when i hit decent size bumps. I thought changing the hangers from stock to aftermarket ones would help, but it's the same, if not a tiny bit worse. It is REALLY starting to annoy me, plus i don't want anything to break.

Suggestions?

I've got this same exact problem. I tried the longer exhaust hangers and it still rattles. It doesn't really have to do with the hangers, it's just the way the mid angles up. I even took the shield out and it still rattles against the drive shaft support :mad: Funny thing is, this only happened when I switched from the Invidia DP over to the Perrin 2-piece DP so I'm guessing Billy Dagwood and I both have the same/similar setup. This is probably a bad combo even though both pieces are from Perrin. Also, the mid and y make my exhaust tips all misaligned. Gotta love that Perrin fitment.

ahh, the famous rattle.

I got a muffler shop to do some funky bend with the hangers and problem was solved.

No cutting or welding, they have to kinda play around with the exhaust hanger and it should be fine.

At least for me, it worked.

I've got this same exact problem. I tried the longer exhaust hangers and it still rattles. It doesn't really have to do with the hangers, it's just the way the mid angles up. I even took the shield out and it still rattles against the drive shaft support :mad: Funny thing is, this only happened when I switched from the Invidia DP over to the Perrin 2-piece DP so I'm guessing Billy Dagwood and I both have the same/similar setup. This is probably a bad combo even though both pieces are from Perrin. Also, the mid and y make my exhaust tips all misaligned. Gotta love that Perrin fitment.

hm, my tips are pretty well-balanced and symmetrical, but this rattle is driving me NUTS

Well, I to tell you the truth don't know what they did since I was not there at the time of install.

If you take your car to a muffler shop, they will bend some of the hangers to make more clearance.

The stronger bushing did not work for me either.

Like you said, it might make it worse since your exhaust might be hanging higher than the original bushing that is soft and hangs lower.

It's bumping up against the driveshaft shield.

How about you cut out that section of the driveshaft shield? Tin snips should be able to cut that and it would only be the size of the flex section that is hitting it....I suspect that it would not cause any issues to cut a little bit out.

Billy, and anyone else who has this, do you know if its the new version of the mid and y? Does it couple up at the mid and y(on the actual mid and y section forget the dp part) or does it mate up with two bolts and a gasket? I am just curious if this is a problem that happens with just the newer models.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/adam07specb/IMG_1287.jpg

that connection right there do you have it like that? Where it couples up? Or do you have the regular 2 bolt flange on it.

The old version is the 2-bolt flange. The new version is the v-band clamp like in that link. I've got the v-band clamp version. Not sure which one Billy D. has.

Roland,did not know you had the same set up as i. I wish the 2 piece DP from Perrin fit as well as their EL headers. I had all the same issues as you all did. Even sent back the upper and lower parts in exchange for new ones in hopes of it just being a QC issue.

I "fixed" the problem by going to an exhaust shop. We looked it over and noticed the outlet flange on the 2nd cat sits at an angle. Not verticle. We came up with the idea of cutting the 2nd cat off,and flipping it over 180 deg and rewelding. This dropped the mid pipe down off the bearing support by at least an inch.

IMG_2663.jpg.f0caa9c9709e9f61f2751721f207e11d.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg.ce2bb19b3e39b0de094f7c5bacdb9b1e.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg.ce3d256cbcd96258086914503b382245.jpg

IMG_2659.thumb.jpg.984332f3dfc16a275de4650c5b8cc8f7.jpg

Roland,did not know you had the same set up as i. I wish the 2 piece DP from Perrin fit as well as their EL headers. I had all the same issues as you all did. Even sent back the upper and lower parts in exchange for new ones in hopes of it just being a QC issue.

I "fixed" the problem by going to an exhaust shop. We looked it over and noticed the outlet flange on the 2nd cat sits at an angle. Not verticle. We came up with the idea of cutting the 2nd cat off,and flipping it over 180 deg and rewelding. This dropped the mid pipe down off the bearing support by at least an inch.

Thans Dave, that looks like a good solution. I'll have to stop by a shop somewhere sometime. For now I'll have to live with it :lol:

Roland i didn't know you had the new one and had the rattle. WHY didn't you speak about this sooner! I bought a perrin single piece dp i really hope it doesn't rattle when i install it... :( I knew i should have gone with invidia... BTW what rims do you have on in your avy?

R.I.P Coxx

Roland i didn't know you had the new one and had the rattle. WHY didn't you speak about this sooner! I bought a perrin single piece dp i really hope it doesn't rattle when i install it... :( I knew i should have gone with invidia... BTW what rims do you have on in your avy?

Yup, got the v-band clamp version mid and y. Hopefully they made the single cat version of the dp better this time around and you won't have the same problem. PM'd you about the wheels I've got on.

Well i had the invidia dp with the perrin mid and y(2 bolt flange version) and i had no rattle. However i have yet to try the perrin dp and mid and y since i have yet to recieve the dp. I will let you know when i do set that up how that goes. What i am planning to do is actually wrap the flex section so that way i could possibly silence any extra noise being let out through the flex section.

R.I.P Coxx

Archived