LegacyGT.com

Need help removing 2009 Spec.B front bumper

Guys,

I have my car up on jack stands as I type this trying to take the front bumper off (to do my grill and clear my headlights). I've gotten all the pop-its from the bottom off and the two in the wheel wells. But it looks like there are 2 screws in there holding the sides of the bumper near the headlights (signal markers) that I can't see how to get out (you'd need a VERY short screwdriver for it).

Am I right these screws have to come out? Is there something I'm missing? I'm totally at a loss, all the threads about removing the bumper make it sound so easy - HELP!!!

Thanks,

Ross

The '08+ cars have six screws affixing the grille to the bumper. Four along the bottom of the grille (you can reach up from the large hole at the bottom of the bumper with a stubby #2 Phillips screwdriver to get to them), and one screw on each side of the grille. Those two are an absolute PITA to get out and will require a lot of bending plastic. Vacation pictures will help :D.

once you get the pop-its out from bottom, grill area, and wheel wells, the bumper itself is clipped to the car below from the headlight to fender. just carefully pull both sides at the same time. the whole bumper should come out, then remove the grill which is screwed in from behind.

I'm seeing the same issues.. Impossible to get to screws seem to be holding it in place near the clips you take out in the wheel well area. I already have the grill out as well as all the popits along the bottom and in each wheel well.

Edit: Attached is a pic of what the screw seems to be going into. This was taken from the area where my airbox sits. The front of the screw has about half an inch of clearance between the head and the inside of the bumper.. I see no way to get screw out.

IMG00160.thumb.jpg.444468dbd31c69b3747796f4a2c98575.jpg

• 4 months later...

Yup, mystery solved. They don't come out, not with the bumper anyway. Once you've gotten all the above screws out (the ones you can reach in the wheel well) just pull, it's tab based and will just pop free without too much effort (I was scared to pull it at first too and then it just went pop! and came free).

Give that a try?

-Ross

Wow thanks for the FAST reply Ross!

I'll give it a try as I wanted to remove my grill but I don't think I can reach those screws holding the grill to the bumper so I figure I'll just remove the bumper.

Just pull...I'll remember that :lol: Thanks again.

No sweat, I happened to be at my desk so easy to reply. And yeah, I seriously doubt you can get the grill off without taking the bumper off. I took mine off and sprayed my grill flat black - looks great, I get tons of compliments on it. You also have to take it off to clear the headlights (I painted mine too).

Good luck, let me know if you get stuck...

-Ross

I got the grill off fairly easy, but never managed to get the bumper off.. Might try again eventually.. Really want to remove the amber and black out the lights.

How did you reach the screws on the backside of the grill? Thanks.

Stuck hand down behind grill. Fed phillips head screwdriver through grill to hand. Removed 6 screws. When I put it back together I didn't bother replacing any of the screws and it's been fine.

My arm doesn't fit between the radiator and the top black plastic part of the grill.

Time to find a friend with a skinny arm :icon_frow

Thanks.

Personally, I found just pulling off the bumper was way easier than trying to reach the screws for the grill. You can literally pull the bumper in under 10-minutes. It is a little un-nerving the first time yanking it out of the side fenders, but once you've done it once, it's a no-brainer. I would recommend putting a rug or towel down under the bumper just in case you lose your grip when you pull out the second side.

But it really is worth it :wub:

final_above.jpg.94940001426290149a54bab5f7c88dcf.jpg

Actually, yes. I find putting the bumper back on to be about 3x harder than taking it off, especially if you don't have help. Getting the sides to line back up isn't too hard, but I have a hell of a time with some of the popits fitting back in nicely. Perhaps I just have large hands, but getting the ones in the wheel-well and the one centered on the bumper are just a pain-in-the-ass. That said, it still only takes 15 minutes to get the bumper fully mounted (and that's being very careful to not scratch the paint).

I've now had the bumper off-and-back on 3 times, and have had no unsolvable issues.

Love your grill Squiden, that must have been a tough fit - isn't that for JDM bumpers?

What type of front turn signal light bulb do you use?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Nope, I made the grill (to look like the JDM one). I'll hopefully post the how-to tonight or tomorrow morning - really not too bad once you know about all the "gotchas" :lol:

The ones in the photos are still the stock bulbs - I've since replaced them with Silverstars. I'd highly recommand the Silverstars if you are going to clear the corners (otherwise the orange is highly visable).

Squid

You are in luck that I still have the package. :)

They are "Silverstar 3357A ST / 3457A ST". The best way to describe them is an amber bulb with an pearl overcoating. Some people call them as "iridescent", which is a pretty fitting description. Here is a close-up shot to give a better feel.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/car_front_down_side.jpg

• 1 year later...
The '08+ cars have six screws affixing the grille to the bumper. Four along the bottom of the grille (you can reach up from the large hole at the bottom of the bumper with a stubby #2 Phillips screwdriver to get to them), and one screw on each side of the grille. Those two are an absolute PITA to get out and will require a lot of bending plastic. Vacation pictures will help :D.

serious zombie-bump, but have you tried using a ratcheting 1/4" box wrench and a phillips bit?

Archived