LegacyGT.com

Transparency

Tide

How best to enforce the rules?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How best to enforce the rules?

• They are fine the way they are.
    • Explicitly call out infractions and points, but leave it up to admins for bans.
    • Explicitly call out possible infractions and points, with automatic probations and bans.

In interest of transparency, please vote on how you think rules should be enforced on this site.

a) Keep things the way they are. Common complaints are moderators are uneven, some give infractions, some don't. Is it better to have a loose structure to enforcement, which keeps more people happy and on the site vs. the other options.

b) Explicitly give infractions and points towards a probation/ban system. Possible to include some time decay of points. Bans are suggested at a points level but still up to the staff to enforce.

c) Too much is up in the air for mods/admins. Explicitly list all infraction types with points and decay time. Members are the fully responsible for their actions and know well in advance when they'll be on probation/banned.

i voted #1 i really don't see what the problem is we're all suppose to know right from wrong and have some kind of common sense. it's the internet it's meant to be fun an escape from day to day problems a place to talk about things but what do i know i have trouble typing. :)
Stay Stock Stay Happy

i voted #1 i really don't see what the problem is we're all suppose to know right from wrong and have some kind of common sense. it's the internet it's meant to be fun an escape from day to day problems a place to talk about things but what do i know i have trouble typing. :)

+1000.

I don't think that turning moderators into policemen is a good idea. Isn't the reason they are called moderators, just that, too moderate discourse?

In the end, won't they still have to judge content based on the context as opposed to simply content??

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have never really had a real issue with anything on the sight and the way it has been run.

With that said; if there is an issue? I think © is the way to go. We should be fully responsible for are actions and with a defined list of rules there would be less time wasted on erroneous crap, as it would be clerly layed out. Though it is not going to fix it all.

In an ideal world option "C" would be the way to go but we're dealing with human beings here, on both sides. Admin, mod, or member, nobody is perfect. The vast majority know the limits or quickly learn them but there will always be the few that thrive on the attention they get by stirring up things. They will always look for the loopholes and then whine when they get their hand slapped because their transgression wasn't explicitly spelled out in the rules. While I have no idea of what's going on behind the scene, the current system seems to work pretty well.

What people need to realize is that while this is a public forum it is not in the public domain. It is the members who make it what it is, but it belongs solely to the admin and he is free to run the site any way he wants. I've made this analogy before but I'll repeat it to remind everybody.

LegacyGT.com is Tide's private residence. There is a party going on inside, the front door is wide open, and you encouraged to come on in and mingle. If in the opinion of the homeowner or one of his designated monitors you are acting inappropriately, you are told to behave. If you continue to misbehave then you will be told to cut it out or you'll be shown the door. If the host of the party decides that he doesn't want you around any longer, for what ever reason, he ultimately has the final say. Even if you threw a few bucks into the cup to help defray the cost of the keg you don't have any rights to plead your case or a trial by your peers. What you do have a right to do is find another party where your actions are acceptable or to throw your own party so you can make the rules and decisions on who can and cannot join in and stick around.

In an ideal world option "C" would be the way to go but we're dealing with human beings here, on both sides. Admin, mod, or member, nobody is perfect. The vast majority know the limits or quickly learn them but there will always be the few that thrive on the attention they get by stirring up things. They will always look for the loopholes and then whine when they get their hand slapped because their transgression wasn't explicitly spelled out in the rules. While I have no idea of what's going on behind the scene, the current system seems to work pretty well.

What people need to realize is that while this is a public forum it is not in the public domain. It is the members who make it what it is, but it belongs solely to the admin and he is free to run the site any way he wants. I've made this analogy before but I'll repeat it to remind everybody.

LegacyGT.com is Tide's private residence. There is a party going on inside, the front door is wide open, and you encouraged to come on in and mingle. If in the opinion of the homeowner or one of his designated monitors you are acting inappropriately, you are told to behave. If you continue to misbehave then you will be told to cut it out or you'll be shown the door. If the host of the party decides that he doesn't want you around any longer, for what ever reason, he ultimately has the final say. Even if you threw a few bucks into the cup to help defray the cost of the keg you don't have any rights to plead your case or a trial by your peers. What you do have a right to do is find another party where your actions are acceptable or to throw your own party so you can make the rules and decisions on who can and cannot join in and stick around.

That's a great analogy. And though I feel a defined list might help in general, there is no fix for stupid.

i voted #1 i really don't see what the problem is we're all suppose to know right from wrong and have some kind of common sense. It's the internet it's meant to be fun an escape from day to day problems a place to talk about things but what do i know i have trouble typing. :)

qft

Guest LGT-NY
I think things are fine the way they are. There are only a few mods I have ever had a problem with. Certain mods seem to get a little aggressive or "trigger happy" with the bans and points. You might say that they like to swing around the old light saber every now and again. ;)

Archived