LegacyGT.com

Subwoofer Opinions

CCSubaru

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix Gold Xenon, these are great amps...they are practically the JL audio amps (they used the same power supply circuitry) they have the same output over any resistance (1-4ohm) and the 600.1 is around 240 on ebay or other sites, just search for it. Here is an ebay auction i found

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X600-1-CLASS-D-MONO-AMPLIFIER-XENON-AMP_W0QQitemZ220293112332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item220293112332&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Phoenix Gold Xenon, these are great amps...they are practically the JL audio amps (they used the same power supply circuitry) they have the same output over any resistance (1-4ohm) and the 600.1 is around 240 on ebay or other sites, just search for it. Here is an ebay auction i found

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X600-1-CLASS-D-MONO-AMPLIFIER-XENON-AMP_W0QQitemZ220293112332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item220293112332&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

That is a good amp but not enough for an RE SX.. If you went the PG Xenon route I'd stick to the 1200.1

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

It is a prefab but it is not some cheap box. I'll post up the link when I am home, I am at school right now

Do yourself a favor and build one or have one built.. I've never seen a good ported prefab. The enclosure is key.. I'd be more than happy to give you a design if you have some woodworking skills

Videos -

-

I would stay away from anything mtx ESPECIALLY their amps. I had a 600rms 1 channel mtx amp and it blew 3, maybe even four if I remember correctley polk audio sr112 dvc's and blew itself 2 times (Happy about purchasing waranty) put a jl 500/1 in and havent had a problem since.

Well US Amps actually bought RE Audio a few years back.. but they do make RE Audio amps now.. they used to have RE 12.1s and RE 35.1s .. I guess US Amps, the knew owner, decided to bring them back so you might check those out. Odds are you would have to call an RE Dealer.

The MD1D is a good choice none the less but I strongly suggest you have a box built. Prefabs are the worst thing you could buy. It is a night and day difference between a sub in a bad enclosure and a good enclosure. That and I've personally seen an SX blow apart a prefab at a show :-/

Videos -

-

You can get away with prefab sealed enclosures at times but when it comes to ported enclosures, prefab is not the way to go. Very difficult to match port tuning frequency to your specific driver.

RE Subs are power hungry, just don't forget a ported design will require less over RMS power vs a sealed box. I don't know about the newer versions but the older US amps were once popular on the Iasca circuit (particularly for SPL). If that US amps on ebay is anything like the older ones then it is a real good buy, especially when you take into consideration it already comes with remote bass control and features like 24 db per octave X over and subsonic filter. All the features on the JL amps.

Taking a look at that ebay box, it looks okay and fairly decently built (3/4" MDF and 1 1/4" driver attachment thickness) . Lacking is internal bracing. Something you have to consider when you run an RE sub and the power it will likely get.

metal braces won't stop box flex.. go to a local shop and have an enclosure built.. i'd hate for you to buy that sub and then not be happy.. im not sure what setups you have heard but i can't stress enough the enclosure is key and ive never dealt with a good prefab.. the closest to good was a hooker audio box

there are plenty of sites that you could have one custom made as well..

here are a few for example..

www.fishercustoms.com

http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/

http://pwkdesigns.com/about/index.html

Videos -

-

Heres a quick design I did for you.. You should have it in PM. From my experience with the SXs I chose 35hz to tune to.

Enclosure Volume2 cu ftEnclosure Tuning35 hzEnclosure Width32 inchesEnclosure Height14 inchesEnclosure Depth21 inches

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/frkkevin/boxdesign.jpg

Videos -

-

• 2 weeks later...
1 12" should be plenty of bass depending on your setup. Obviously it depends on the type of amp you are running and the box too.. I'm running a 10" Rockford Fosgate P3D10 with a custom built box from extreme car audio in grand rapids, mi in my 05 lgt. The box makes a HUGE difference, i had the same setup with a normal 10" box and i had maybe 1/4 of the sound i do now. And make sure the amp you get has enough power to run the sub, if you underpower it you are actually damaging the sub. Spend the extra money to get a good amp with enough power and keep your gain turned down. My setup will easily rattle everything apart if i want it to, but i have my amp turned way down. Puts out some very nice bass though :)

• 1 month later...
Here's mine. Had a biotch of a time getting it mounted b/c their bolt was off angle. Also, the sub doesn't seat very well.

Excuse my ignorance. Do they make boxes like this for Sedans? I have a 2001 Leg Sedan, and want a box that isn't going to take up a foot and a half of space. I have two 10's and they are normal depth so if they did make boxes like this for Sedans would I need a shallower sub?

WickedCAS on here does make one for the 05+ sedans, not sure about the earlier ones.

Also, there are how-tos on here for making your own fiberglass box. Could always consider that or having a local shop make one for you. ~$400-500 depending on the shop.

*n00b alert*

I've noticed that my '08 has a 10-12" mount on the underside of the parcel shelf.....just for shits and giggles....how much ass will a sub sound like if it's just mounted to that panel without use of a box or enclosure?

First you would need a free air type sub. The trunk would be the enclosure . In general you would get deeper bass notes due to the large size of the trunk enclosure (bass you can feel in the 30htz range and below). The problem with this style of sub is that it would be difficult to control the speaker excursion and may sound muddy and handle limited power. I had a BMW 5 series with two 10 kicker free airs in the past. Not bad but I much prefer the tight sound of a well made sealed enclosure.

Archived