LegacyGT.com

Subwoofer Opinions

CCSubaru

I am purchasing one 12" Quantum Audio 3000W PEAK/1500W RMS Sub and was wondering if anyone else has a single 12" and would like to hear some opinions on loudness and vibration etc.

I would like it loud and don't know if i should go with two or just stick with one. (I'd rather have one)

Please let me know what you set up is and how loud it is and your opinion. Thanks.

:spin:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey man. I have one JL 12w6v2 in a little box running a 300 class d (I believe) amp in my 05 LGT. It sounds really good and has enough bass but it won't shake my car apart. One thing though, it doesn't get as loud as it used to like in my old car with an aftermarket cd player but it still sounds really good. Also another thing I've noticed is that if I keep the box right against the backseat and back deck, I hear a little rattle from the back deck when it's really bumping. But JL audio makes a crossover type device that fixes the equalization problems with my model. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I used a 12" Infinity sub with a JL 500/1 series amp and it got pretty loud (and clean). Currently switched to the Jl audio wagon specific Stealth box with a 10w6 , same amp. Almost equal SPL and cleaner, better transients. Location and strapping it down do make a difference (stealthbox is bolted to the chassis).

Gone are my days of triple 12's . You may want to invest in a more powerfull amp . Like a 1000 watt RMS amp . You can get jl's 1000/1 used for pretty cheap on ebay. What I like about JL mono amps is the range of adjustability. They give you paramertric EQ, adjustable slope, infrasonic filter etc. Something for everyone.

Very clean and nice install str8dwn. What is that knob above the stealthbox? Also,did you cover it in another material?

I had trouble bolting it in as well. But I ended up buying a longer bolt and bolting it to the outside chasis (hidden by the taillight assembly). I also painted the enclosure to more closely resemble the interior and put a 12" grill to make it look more integrated.

Looks pretty good, how much does something like that run? I was just thinking about building a box and putting it where the stock tray is. I have a few SoundStream SPL 10's laying around, was going to use one for this project.

What is that knob above the stealthbox? Also,did you cover it in another material?

Thanks. The knob is for the stock grandpa cargo nets. I covered the box originally in black carbon vinyl (as shown). I later wrapped it in black carpet.

I drilled a new hole and plugged the JL one all from the taillight. I also went inside the rear fender and bolted it from that side too.

If I had to do it again, I'd save cash and buy the Wicked CAS box. After the issues with my Cleansweep, my 300/4 having to be rebuilt, and the WAY overpriced box, I am done with JL.

Sicklyscott,

I made the tray and cover myself. Cost ~$50 in materials. An inside picture for you below.

DSC00060_sm.thumb.jpg.771f8bd1503ee0e4dac6e20e5ac2fa2d.jpg

the same sub will make much more bass in a wagon than a sedan. i have a wagon and a single 10" sub hits hard. but it would not be enough for a sedan where you have to play through the rear seats. no one here will be able to tell you if one is enough. there are many variables including the amp, box design, efficiency and your preference. I would put it in there and experiment with placement. you may find rear facing makes more bass than playing directly into the back seat.

there are a few great subs out there...

JL 10W7, has just as much surface area as a 12, and its the my favorite sub....plus go with the recommended ported box in the manual, it SLAMS (13W7 i couldnt even imagine)

IDMAX 12, extremly loud and clear, very clean...excellent bump

Digital Designs....SPL subs...for more bass than imaginable

RE Audio makes some serious stuff too, a great line of Super SPL and Quality....

oh, and honorable mention goes to the Alpine X, pretty solid sub

Dont forget, your enclosure speaks just as much as the driver, just putting it in any old box wont do....

Thanks. The knob is for the stock grandpa cargo nets. I covered the box originally in black carbon vinyl (as shown). I later wrapped it in black carpet.

I drilled a new hole and plugged the JL one all from the taillight. I also went inside the rear fender and bolted it from that side too.

If I had to do it again, I'd save cash and buy the Wicked CAS box. After the issues with my Cleansweep, my 300/4 having to be rebuilt, and the WAY overpriced box, I am done with JL.

Sicklyscott,

I made the tray and cover myself. Cost ~$50 in materials. An inside picture for you below.

Clean simple install, with great components, looks great and probably sounds even better. JL is usually a great company? Did you buy your stuff online or used?

I had a JL Audio "12 W7 in the back of my leggy for about a year. It was in a custom ported box with a Phoenix Gold Amp pumping about 750 watts RMS. The thing was a beast. At the car show at my old school it got to 141 decibals. For one "12 sub, you can't beat it. Only thing that can hit as hard imo might be the L7 subs from Kicker.

any heat issues with the amps enclosed under that panel?

Digital amps greatly reduce the normal heat output of the older amps. Memphis audio and Eclipse both make decent Digital amps.

As far as Subs, I've stuck with JL for most of my stereos and have always been happy. My first system had Lanzars, just because I didn't have anybody around to tell me otherwise. My SPL system used PPI flat piston 15's. Man, those were fun subs. Not much for SQ, but they blew my sunroof off the track!

Some good subwoofers:

-Adire (out of business but can still be found)

-Ascendant Audio (same, sort of - bought by Fi and changed, perhaps for the better)

-Audiopulse (AKA TC Sounds)

-Creative Sound Solutions

-Dayton (for SQ over SPL, on a budget)

-Diamond

-Exodus Audio/DIYCable

-Ficaraudio

-JL w6/w7

-Mach5 (on a budget)

-RE Audio

-Soundsplinter

-TC Sounds (now Audiopulse)

-Treo

Subwoofers to AVOID:

-[American] Legacy

-Audiobahn

-Audiovox

-Bazooka

-Boss

-Dual

-Elemental Designs (see http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205038&page=2)

-Kicker (I might get flamed for this, but their technology is ancient and the Xmax is crap, and low SQ)

-Lanzar

-MA Audio (not as bad as some of the others)

-MTX (their amps are good though)

-Power Acoustik

-Pyle

-Pyramid

-Robotunderground (Ebay brand claiming to use TC Sounds parts, but Dan Wiggins from Adire Audio brought to light their crappiness)

-Sony

-Thump

-Visonik

Neither list is NEAR full. Just off the top of my head. My favorite subwoofers are Audiopulse/TC, Dayton, and Fi/RE

Ok so I have now decided to go with the 12" RE Audio SX series subwoofer and have done some research and it looks to be a very decent sub.

What brand amp should I use on it and what RMS power should I get for the amp and also what ohm I should use if using the RE audio DVC 2 Ohm (crutchfield says use 4 Ohm amp for this job)

Are you going to put it in a ported box? It's not recommended for sealed boxes. You'll need to have a properly tuned box for it to sound correct. If you don't want to deal with that, then you should get a sealed setup and choose a different driver (driver is a raw speaker in this case).

Anyway, my favorite low budget amps are Kenwood and Hifonics Brutus. Let me know your budget if you want to spend more and I will give you suggestions around that price.

there are a few great subs out there...

JL 10W7, has just as much surface area as a 12, and its the my favorite sub....plus go with the recommended ported box in the manual, it SLAMS (13W7 i couldnt even imagine)

IDMAX 12, extremly loud and clear, very clean...excellent bump

Digital Designs....SPL subs...for more bass than imaginable

RE Audio makes some serious stuff too, a great line of Super SPL and Quality....

oh, and honorable mention goes to the Alpine X, pretty solid sub

Dont forget, your enclosure speaks just as much as the driver, just putting it in any old box wont do....

Pick up a single RE SE 12".. you'll be more than happy

The SX is not for a sealed enclosure so plan on taking up some trunk space for the Sx in a ported box

Trust me.. I own 2 SEs, two SXs, and two XXXs.. I've only ran RE Audio and know them pretty well

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

I was planing on using a Ported box that is almost perfect for the SX series and am not worried about trunk space. The box is 2.0 cu ft and is tuned for 32 Hz which is one Hert lower than what is recommended on RE Audio's site so I think that should do the trick.

Are you going to put it in a ported box? It's not recommended for sealed boxes. You'll need to have a properly tuned box for it to sound correct. If you don't want to deal with that, then you should get a sealed setup and choose a different driver (driver is a raw speaker in this case).

Anyway, my favorite low budget amps are Kenwood and Hifonics Brutus. Let me know your budget if you want to spend more and I will give you suggestions around that price.

As for the Amp my budget is anywhere basically from 150-250 and would like it to be pushing at least 750 RMS

the kenwood amp looks good but the 4 Ohm power output is way lower than what i want. (RMS Power Output @ 4 Ohms : 500 Watts x 1-Channel)

Is there a way to hook up the RE Audio Dual Voice Coil 2 Ohm with one mono 2 Ohm amp or do i have to buy a mono 4 ohm?

get an amp 1 ohm stable.. run the coils parallel.. the amp is a very important part so don't go cheap..

for $250 you can buy an audioque 1200d.. i'd suggest that route or pickup a used elemental design nine.1

i would run 1000-1500rms of CLEAN power to that sub.. i've even used more

and the box you speak of.. tell me it was built and not a prefab?

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Archived