LegacyGT.com

Cobb vs. iON vs. Rallitek

subie23

cant decide which spring to go with...

ive heard good things about all these springs but havent seen enough pictures about ride height or heard about ride quality or overall quality of the springs on these overtime. mainly looking towards either cobbs or ions cause ralliteks i feel like would still be sitting too high for my taste even though ive heard great things about those springs..

can people please post pics of these spring set ups on their leggys. btw im running on stock struts...ive also heard ions and cobbs could be to harsh for stock struts??

please help!! i need to lower the car asapppp :rolleyes:

rs6er those look gooood. what are the difference between the HD and regular? im running stock struts..

i hope so i think im leaning more towards the cobbs...

According to Ion, the regular SpecB struts lower the car more ( I actually had a set of the fronts and they do). The spring is a thicker guage on the HDs. I saw this when I compared them to each other while switching. The result is that you will get a slightly stiffer ride up to about 10MPH with the HDs, but they are much smoother on the highway. I think they are also less prone to bottoming.

Here is what went down. This is all searchable on this forum, but basically this is the gist of it.

I wanted to maintain the stock ride feeling, but I couldn't stand the look of the huge gaps. I did a ton of research on this forum and figured that Pinks would be my choice. I got talked into Ions by someone on the forum who had gone from Pinks to Ions and felt they were much better. I order the Ions and had them installed by a Subaru tech friend. The first thing I noticed was that the front was a lot lower than the rear. Ion told me to wait and the rear would settle. However, that wasn't the worst of it. Every time I hit a bump, the front of the car slammed down and rattled my teeth. Expansion joints on the Thruway were painful. I'm not kidding. My wife wouldn't even ride in my car.

Eventually, Ion figured that I might have gotten mismatching springs- ie. regulars in the front and Heavy Dutys in the rear. I didn't know there was even a heavy duty version. They sent me new rears, but thanks to DHL, they never arrived. When I called to tell them I didn't get the springs, Jack at Ion and I had a further discussion. He said that if I wasn't interested in lowering the car so much, he would send me Heavy duty springs from the front. He did. I installed them, and the ride difference was night and day. I don't know what the ride would have been like if I had had the correct rears with the other fronts, but I am exrtemely happy with the ride and handling now.

I recently ordered the Ion springs soI can't say first hand but from what I've read, The HD are only for the rears and they increase the spring rate marginally and are 1/4" higher. Work well with the wagon that has a heavier butt.

Also keep in mind the spec B top hats would make the fronts sit higher . Something that is not a problem on reg LGT's or legacies.

Archived