LegacyGT.com

Intake Tuning

dx32v

I am going to be running the Accessport and a perrin uppipe which would be Stage 1.5 if Im not mistaking. I have a K&N drop in filter that I also wanted to install but I've read that it requires a tune for it. My question was would a tuned drop in filter or aftermarket intake give any power increase or is it just to have the car run right? I've seen someone recommend TA Tuning for a map, any other recommendations?

You don't need a tune for a drop in....CAI or short ram you'd require tuning

i disagree. panel filters have been shown to (sometimes) lean out the car. it varies for a lot of people. if you're gonna change ANYTHING on your intake system get a tune for it to be safe.

Running too lean causes very high EGT's and leads to detonation, which can lead to broken ringlands.

I honestly think running an intake on a basic stage 1 is not as horrible as everyone thinks it is, but i would not risk it with stage 2 or higher.

running too lean causes very high egt's and leads to detonation, which can lead to broken ringlands.

I honestly think running an intake on a basic stage 1 is not as horrible as everyone thinks it is, but i would not risk it with stage 2 or higher.

+1

Running too lean causes very high EGT's and leads to detonation, which can lead to broken ringlands.

+2 I ran a short ram for a while stage 1 and 2 before getting a tune and no issues to report

i switched from a spt short ram to a aem cai and ive had no issues... havent had a chance to log.. but it was protuned with the shortram... i do get alot LESS exhaust pops though... meaning it did lean my car a little.. but i think they were pumpin too much fuel?? as for my tune... i dont have the wideband installed yet... but according to the AP at WOT its at 11... so it could be lower or since i do not have wideband that could mean nothing... i dunno... my car does feel alittle slow on the low end.. but it feels like it pulls harder on the top.. could just be my imagination though...

WAYYYY quieter... the SPT whistled everywhere i went..... after installin the cai i can barely hear turbo spool... of course thats comparing it to the SPT i had on there... i do miss the sound of the turbo spooling...

if your trying to go quiet i would go aem cai... but if u like that turbo spooling sound i wouldnt suggest SPT.. cuz they suck.. but the k&n typhoon... heard that one was really good...

i can hear my turbo spooling nicely with my AEM, along with the BOV and suction. just cant have the radio really loud, thats the nice thing. hear it when you want to or listening for it.

you may not feel like the AEM is hurting your car, but that is going to lean it out, and probably lean it out too far. I'd suggest an re-tune....

That doesn't really make anysense... I live in co.. and weather can change 50 degrees from morning to afternoon... especially in the mountains... meaning even with my spt tuned if it was freezing outside it would take in cold air.... now on the other hand when ur sittin there in traffic it will suck in warm/hot air until u get moving again... my a/f have actually dropped .3-.5 when not in boost after I put on the cai... and I know the AP doesn't read that accurately or measure in boost... but the ecu can at WOT and my AP shows 11... which I believe is AP lowest... I've used AP with both intakes to see just so I can get a idea... but ur right... I should get it re tuned just incase but its not cheap....

Archived