LegacyGT.com

Not impressed with the new HK stereo

rosscarlson

I figured I'd share some thoughts for everyone. I just upgraded my 2008 2.5i to a 2009 Spec.B One of the options I had in my 2.5i was the subwoofer under the driver's seat. I'd read about how much better the new HK system is in the 09's so I was excited to hear it when I got my Spec.B (as I thought the stock system with the sub in my 2.5i was great). Reminder: I've never heard a stock system without the sub.

I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Honestly I think it sounds slightly not-as good. Not worse, just different. Since the moved the sub to the rear deck (as apposed to under my seat) the bass for the driver isn't nearly as punchy. It still sounds very good but the "feel" just isn't nearly what it was before.

Sitting in the passenger seat it sounds pretty much like my 08 did.

The one thing I do like is you have to turn it up much louder now. My max volume was usually around 12 in my 08 (10 for the radio) where now I'm in the mid 20's for the same volume. What's nice is at volume 1-2 it's VERY soft, soft enough to have on in the background while you talk...

Just my two cents...

-Ross

I wouldn't say that - it really does sound very good. While I had subs in my trunk in high school I'm a little more grown up now so this system will suffice. I should also say it's amazing how much sound the sub does put out given how thin it is (it takes up almost no space).

I figured I'd share some thoughts for everyone. I just upgraded my 2008 2.5i to a 2009 Spec.B One of the options I had in my 2.5i was the subwoofer under the driver's seat. I'd read about how much better the new HK system is in the 09's so I was excited to hear it when I got my Spec.B (as I thought the stock system with the sub in my 2.5i was great). Reminder: I've never heard a stock system without the sub.

I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Honestly I think it sounds slightly not-as good. Not worse, just different. Since the moved the sub to the rear deck (as apposed to under my seat) the bass for the driver isn't nearly as punchy. It still sounds very good but the "feel" just isn't nearly what it was before.

Sitting in the passenger seat it sounds pretty much like my 08 did.

The one thing I do like is you have to turn it up much louder now. My max volume was usually around 12 in my 08 (10 for the radio) where now I'm in the mid 20's for the same volume. What's nice is at volume 1-2 it's VERY soft, soft enough to have on in the background while you talk...

Just my two cents...

-Ross

the HK system in my wife 09 2.5i with rear dash sub sounds a hell of a lot better than the system in my 05 lgt with the under seat sub. bass is deaper voacla are clearer, both car systems are all stock no mods to them. i would love to have the hk from the 09 in my 05

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Good to get some more information from everyone. I was really comparing between my 08 with sub and 09 and for my money I like the 08 system better, but only very slightly. Hell I think they both sound pretty damn awesome for a stock system at the price point our cars are!

you should hear the difference in an 05 compared to the 09. night and day

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I'll totally take your word for it ;-)

hell if you want to hear ill be back at ft carson in aug.

I thought the exact same thing when i purchased my '09 2.5i SE, I was not impressed with the HK stereo. It was much clearer than my the jbl synthesis in my old 4runner, but I wish the HK stereo would go a bit louder. I often have the volume all the way up at 40, however with an mp3 player attached at max volume its much better. I'll admit the HK stereo has grown on me/ I've gotten use to it. Though one final thought, on a $21k car like my 2.5i SE, its pretty good for the money.

Archived