LegacyGT.com

Help doing some suspension work?

rosscarlson

Hiya guys, I'm in Westminster and was wondering if anyone in town would be willing to give me a hand installing some suspension parts. I'm most likely going with the Cobb stage II kit (front/rear sways and springs). I've never done anything like it before but as I want to learn more about my car I'd like to do it myself (or at least help someone who knows). I know I'll need a spring compressor to do that part, anyone have any interest in giving a newbie some help? A case/bottle of your favorite (or other such reward) comes with the request ;-)

Thanks,

Ross

Just did mine, I could do it again, super easy, just need a 3/8" breaker bar (I broke my 3/8" drive trying to break the strut bolts. I didn't need spring compressors for the spring swap (COBB). Let me know when you guys do it, I may be available to help out, or heck, I could even volunteer my garage again.

+ 1 for a meet. I wanna do strut/shock and spring replacement but don't know how to do it...that and I'd probably be spending close to a grand doing the whole thing...may just come by and watch and lend a helping hand/breaker bar (as the whole idea of $1K on shocks/springs scares me).

+ 1 for a meet. I wanna do strut/shock and spring replacement but don't know how to do it...that and I'd probably be spending close to a grand doing the whole thing...may just come by and watch and lend a helping hand/breaker bar (as the whole idea of $1K on shocks/springs scares me).

I have some coilovers in great shape that I'm trying to sell for $750 if someone buys them I'd be glad to do a meet and help install them.

This sounds great guys - while I have a garage we could use it's very small and I really don't have tools/setup for this kind of stuff. If anyone is willing to volunteer their garage I'd find a way to properly compensate them (your poison of choice!)

PM sent MKUltra...

-Ross

I have some coilovers in great shape that I'm trying to sell for $750 if someone buys them I'd be glad to do a meet and help install them.

Sorry I want to avoid the coilovers due to the rebuild life as I commute from south Denver to Gunbarrel...wish I had a ghetto car to beat on but the drive would suck more.

I've got a garage I can offer. Though, I'm mid-build on my rockcrawler right now, and I really just don't want anyone around that thing (it's sitting on a frame jig/stand right now), too much liability. Anyways, pick a date, I can offer up the space (if everyone else brings the beers ;)).

Enthusiast, if you want to swing on to Castle Rock, I'm free for a while tomorrow. Can help you too. FWIW, I got mine done in about 2 hours last time and that's having no idea or a write-up. I'm sure I could do it faster now.

Yeah, I hear yah, space is limited in my 3 car with a build going on in one bay.

As for the spring compressors, I didn't need em' with COBB springs, basically just popped off the top hats, slid the new coils in, made sure they were aligned correctly brought the top hats down.

Also, with loosening/tightening the top hats, I didn't want to spend the cash for more tools (the top shaft of the strut must be held in place, and there's open ended socket wrenches for that) so I just used a rubber liner and some vice grips to hold the shaft. Other than that, you should have a set of metrics sockets/wrenches and it's super easy.

Only issue I had was a clunk after the install. Went through and tightened all the top hats and it went away. Good luck! If you need a hand shoot a pm, I will actually be in Littleton for a little bit of tomorrow, I really just want to check out your car ;)

I think auto zone "rents" out spring compressors for free. You just give them a $50 or so deposit and when you bring them back you get the money back. Keep that in mind if you do need compressors. Thay way you don't buy something you will only use a few time in your life.

I think auto zone "rents" out spring compressors for free. You just give them a $50 or so deposit and when you bring them back you get the money back. Keep that in mind if you do need compressors. Thay way you don't buy something you will only use a few time in your life.

I think I got mine at checkers. But the same deal. Its been a few years since I did my springs. The spring compressor was not needed so much for putting on the new springs, but it was very helpful for disassembling the oem spring/strut assembly.

Archived