LegacyGT.com

GT with 5-speed and cat-back fuel economy?

Power4

So I'm thinking of purchasing a '09 Legacy 2.5 GT with the manual before next winter and I have a few questions about fuel economy. Any insights you guys may have would be appreciated.

According to Edmunds.com combined fuel economy is low 20's, does that sound right in real world driving? I do mostly city driving but also some pretty long highway trips too.

What is the range with a full tank of gas?

I will probably get a cat-back exhaust system (maybe Cobb) soon after getting the car. Will this improve the fuel economy noticeably?

My mileage increased with an accessport and aftermarket tune by 1-2 miles per gal. I do a mix of stop and go and highway in my commute and typically get 25.5 miles per gal.

Don't get your hopes up to high on this milage thing. I personally have found that most reports on this forum are exaggarated. I drive a 2.5i and I have found that if I drive the speed limit I can get somewhere around 27.5 mpg driving maybe 70% highway and 30% city. With your LGT, results should be lower than that but then again it all depends on how you drive. All I am saying is don't imagine any unrealistic numbers for yourself such as 30mpg + with an LGT

I have fun when I drive. I dog it about half of the time. My average economy is 24mpg according to the car's computer. I do 50% city 50% highway. 93 octane makes filling up a bit more expensive though. When I bought the car I was told I could only put 91 and above in it.

Just don't mod it a bunch....I sometimes find myself getting 14 or 15 mpg around town because it's just too much fun to get on it. Guess that's the price you pay. Honestly, I enjoy driving it every time I take it out.

don't imagine any unrealistic numbers for yourself such as 30mpg + with an LGT

Took a road trip this weekend, had to do 55-65 most of the way due to road conditions, but here's the mileage i got! (results not typical)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/bmstoner/goodmpg.jpg

My car is pretty well built and according to gas hog on my ipod, I average 23.1 mpg.

This is mixed between in town, WOT runs through the gears and 75 mph freeway cruise control rides.

My low fuel light comes on between 275 and 300 miles. 2 tanks ago I got 352 miles on 14.956 gallons of 91.

I don't know how anyone's getting 30+ mpg on the highway. I've taken a few long trips, easy on the gas and the best I've done is about 27-28 tops. I would usually average about 23.5 mpg all around, but ever since I went Stage 1 I''m only getting 21 or so. Everyone else's goes up with an Accessport, mine dropped. Go figure.

I don't know how anyone's getting 30+ mpg on the highway. I've taken a few long trips, easy on the gas and the best I've done is about 27-28 tops. I would usually average about 23.5 mpg all around, but ever since I went Stage 1 I''m only getting 21 or so. Everyone else's goes up with an Accessport, mine dropped. Go figure.

Agreed, you'd need to be going mostly downhill, have a solid tail wind, and a great tune to see 30 mpg+.

That's bizarre your mpg dropped after the AP though. With my current setup I'm about 100 crank hp over stock and get 1-2 mpg better in the city and about 4 mpg better on the highway. The highest I've ever averaged on the highway was on my current pro-tune cruising at about 60 mph, and it was about 28.5 mpg. But that was with a VERY light foot, and consciously staying out of boost while in intelligent mode.

Go figure---by any chance do you think you drive the car harder now that you are stage 1??? I know when I had my WRX and went to stage two with a custom pro tune it didnt help since I found myself in WOT a lot more.

winter time 22.5 in city and 31 on highway @ 91 oct. summer time 25.0 city and 34 highway @ 91 oct. all stock but a spt cb and a avo air filter. I have done 400 miles on one tank, but came in on fumes to Trinadad Colorado for Grand Junction Colorado. and that was drafting from big trucks because I thought I was going to run out.

winter time 22.5 in city and 31 on highway @ 91 oct. summer time 25.0 city and 34 highway @ 91 oct. all stock but a spt cb and a avo air filter. I have done 400 miles on one tank, but came in on fumes to Trinadad Colorado for Grand Junction Colorado. and that was drafting from big trucks because I thought I was going to run out.

Forgive me, but I find that impossible to believe. For the 5 months I was running the SPT intake + cat-back and stock tune I never ever saw anything close to those numbers. And I pulled out all the stops a few times to try and get the highest possible averages. My car even has intelligent mode which gives it a mileage advantage over the 05.

I've netted 32mpg highway before according to the trip computer. I average about 25-26mpg with a mix of back roads / interstate driving. My car is stock except a k&n panel and a cat back.

totally stock 05 5 speed GT. I average 350-375 miles per tank. When I fill it, 14 gallons is what it usually takes. I do over 90% highway and mountain driving ( phoenix monday- friday, saturday up the hill to Flagstaff (elevation 7000 ft) back down for work monday.)

Average speed on highway during the week 60....up and down the hill I average 80.

Forgive me, but I find that impossible to believe. For the 5 months I was running the SPT intake + cat-back and stock tune I never ever saw anything close to those numbers. And I pulled out all the stops a few times to try and get the highest possible averages. My car even has intelligent mode which gives it a mileage advantage over the 05.

sorry for me to say this, but I don't think you were sitting in my car when I get these numbers on my car frequently. Mabe I broke the engine in the right way in the first 2,000 miles. The intelligent mode is not a advantage over the 05 GT in any bit. It is how you drive. That is the bottom line! I also don't go by the dash #'s. I do the math way. Thanks.

sorry for me to say this, but I don't think you were sitting in my car when I get these numbers on my car frequently. Mabe I broke the engine in the right way in the first 2,000 miles. The intelligent mode is not a advantage over the 05 GT in any bit. It is how you drive. That is the bottom line! I also don't go by the dash #'s. I do the math way. Thanks.

Trust me, I'm the most anal person you'll ever meet when it comes to breaking a car in properly and changing oil on time. You also obviously have never experienced the SI-Drive, as it does very much aid in saving fuel. The most important note, however, is your funny math. Even if your math is correct, which I'm not convinced of, every pump you fill up at on a long trip will "kick off" of different times. Unless you're filling up at the exact same pump when doing the math by hand, the quote is worthless.

Archived