LegacyGT.com

Newb wiring question

suzysube

Hey guys,

I got my L.E.D. strips from yourledshop.com and have a question. Im gonna be wiring them up to my parking lights. On the harness going into the headlight, which wires do i tap in for power and ground?? what colors??

Just curious if anyone could help me.

Thanks.

if you have the haynes manual or subauru, just follow the colors or you can work backwards from the headlights where red=hot and black=ground and follow through the connector; green/yellow might be hot on passenger(im only going from memory). the headlights are a switched ground, so the hot is always charged. and don't forget the LED's are polarity specific so positive on hot and negative on ground, and make sure the LED's can take 12v or else you may need a resistor.

I tried t clamping into the red and black wires on the harness that goes into the light. They did not light up. I switched them around to make sure the polarity was good. But nothing.

Oh well, maybe ill go get a manual.

idk off the top of my head, try posting this in the "LED foglight thread"- they've all done this and I'm sure someone will answer it there, it'd also help other people following the thread

Ok, good idea. Ill post it there. Hopefully someone can chime in what it is.

okay, now that i have the manual w/ me....lets see if i can help some more.

first off, make sure the LED's work, they could have been DOA; plug them into a power source or a battery depending on the voltage they require and make sure they actually light up.

okay now for the wiring colors. on the passenger side red/green is always hot (+), low ground (-) is yellow/blue and high ground is red (-). on the driver's side hot is red/black(+), low ground (-) is yellow/white and high ground (-) is red/white.

now assuming you still have your DRL (daytime running lights plugged in), the LED's should work if you wire them into the hot and low ground and will always be on. if your DRL is disabled and you always want the LED's on you will need to find a new ground source...easy enough or else they will only be on with lows. while i have never done LED's on a car, this should work. just make sure all your conections are good, vampire clips have a tendency of not poking through all the way.

let us know if you are still ahving troubles.

they hopefully won't get brighter with your high beams- or they'll burn out (which is not good)

all wires are 12V

When I'm doing this mod, I'm just going to run a new 12V wire, mount a switch, and have this controlled independently

Archived