LegacyGT.com

'97 Engine stalls out right after starting

This is my first time on here, so hello.

I took my '97 legacy, which i've had for about a year without any previous problems always runs great, to an instant oil change place yesterday and when they went to start it up again after changing the oil, and it started just fine, it wouldn't idle and stalled out a few seconds after starting. They checked everything that they touched and said that it wasn't anything that they had done. I was able to start it in neutral and drop it into drive while revving it to keep it from stalling out and got it home.

I'm not really a very mechanical guy so i don't even know where to start looking other than taking it to a dealer which i don't want to do if i can avoid it.

Thanks for any help

Hmm. Did they disconnect the battery for some reason? Maybe youre ECU was inadvertantly reset and is trying to relearn itself. Right after resetting the ECU it takes a few hours or at least a day for it to get back on track. At first it can do just what youre describing. Starting up, immediately followed by it dying on you. But this should go away the more you drive it.

Then again, I have no idea if this is even the problem. Just a possible suggestion. I'd ask them if they disconnected the battery for any reason.

Last time I reset my ECU (unplugged battery overnight) I didn't any problems.

Also do you have the check engine light on?

Maybe its more noticeable if you have a 5MT. Forgot to ask him if he had an automatic or not. But everytime I reset the ECU, uggh. It takes a while but mine stalls out a million times at first.

Maybe its more noticeable if you have a 5MT. Forgot to ask him if he had an automatic or not. But everytime I reset the ECU, uggh. It takes a while but mine stalls out a million times at first.

Funny, I have never had a problem resetting my ECU.

Oh, and he has an auto

. I was able to start it in neutral and drop it into drive while revving it to keep it from stalling out and got it home.

I think I know exactly what it is. Check a vaccum hose right under the air filter housing. It is about a half inch in diameter, just put it back on. Problem solved. And yes, it was the people that changed your oil.

I think I know exactly what it is. Check a vaccum hose right under the air filter housing. It is about a half inch in diameter, just put it back on. Problem solved. And yes, it was the people that changed your oil.

I will agree with you here.

The Vac hoses on the housing aren't clamped, held on only by friction. It is very easy to accidentally knock one off.

Thanks, that is exactly what it was, I'll be letting those oil change guys know that they are dumb, it wasn't even like it fell off, it was hard to get that hose reconnected so they must have really had to use some force to get it off

Thanks, that is exactly what it was, I'll be letting those oil change guys know that they are dumb, it wasn't even like it fell off, it was hard to get that hose reconnected so they must have really had to use some force to get it off

Yeah, the ones that aren't held on by clamps are jammed in there pretty tight. They require quite a bit of bending and pushing action to get them on or off.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1998 Legacy LTD but this even worked for me. It turns out that whenever you change the air filter, that vacuum hose automatically pops off and this can be overlooked when in a hurry.

Now I can drive but there is still some hesitation during acceleration or every time driving up hills. Engine light is staying on most of the time (some times it fades out). Could it be fuel filter? Spark plugs are only a year old, had to replace one spark plug wire, air filter is good, has oil, auto tran fluid. Already used fuel injector cleaner a couple times.

Archived