LegacyGT.com

is this normal?

I just went stage 1 with the cobb apv2, and when I'm cruising on the highway, in 4th going about 50-55, I open the throttle up to about 75% and my rpm rises to from 3000 to 4500rpm before dropping down to 3800rpm all while picking up picking up....

What could it be? The cobb map? Only had the cobb map on for 4 days

i was hoping it wasn't.....37k miles and its dead and gone.....i guess no stage 2 until i get a clutch in.....

this sucks bad, any recommendations? looking for longevity more than anything but i also want a better clutch over stock....and should i also change my flywheel too?

i don't race, or auto-x, i'm just a spirited driver.....

Just make sure you drive really carefully on it, and make especially sure that in 4th and 5th it doesn't slip. just accelerate really slow and easy. Mine has been slipping for a while now, but by being careful I have babied it along. No fun though :( Replacing it this weekend :)

As pointed out, go easy on it.

The standard recommendation is an ACT HD clutch and 06+ WRX Flywheel. You can get both as a "Kit" from http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-Subaru-cln-LGT-05-dsh-09-cln-Clutch/Categories

The combined cost is $792 for both parts. Assume about $500 in labor. The clutch can easily handle stage II power.

I'd take a moment though to learn how to prolong clutch life, and ensure you are practicing those habits.

Joe

Or you can replace it yourself. It isn't that hard if you have the tools.

well if involves me temp. removing the engine. then i have all the tools except an engine hoist....anyone that lives in hawaii willing to help a brother out?

and shipping from fred beans will be about $115, so i'm really trying to find everything locally

Just make sure you drive really carefully on it, and make especially sure that in 4th and 5th it doesn't slip. just accelerate really slow and easy. Mine has been slipping for a while now, but by being careful I have babied it along. No fun though :( Replacing it this weekend :)

through 1st and 2nd slipping isn't so bad......its just no more cutting cars to get to my desired destination by a push of a pedal no more, is the hardest part....and walking away from the car in a good mood will be hard now

edit:the goes plans for going stage 2 in the up coming months

through 1st and 2nd slipping isn't so bad......its just no more cutting cars to get to my desired destination by a push of a pedal no more, is the hardest part....and walking away from the car in a good mood will be hard now

I know how you feel, I don't even have a very powerful car. But it is annoying being so careful all the time.

For what it's worth I put a good 15-20k miles on my slipping stocker before replacing it. Stock clutch and flywheel were completely toast when pulled out, but it got me where I needed to go (so long as I was careful)

well if involves me temp. removing the engine. then i have all the tools except an engine hoist....anyone that lives in hawaii willing to help a brother out?

and shipping from fred beans will be about $115, so i'm really trying to find everything locally

You can do it in your driveway if you are so inclined, but it's not easy. The engine does not have to be removed. The hardest part is usually breaking the tranny apart from the engine, which I'm sure will be even harder in your driveway. Mine took about 2 hours of swearing up on a lift to break apart. :lol:

Did you PM Fred Beans or just look on their website? Sometimes they will eat some of the shipping costs...JSCSpeed will do the same too. I live a lot closer to them but you never know what they will do for members.

For what it's worth I put a good 15-20k miles on my slipping stocker before replacing it. Stock clutch and flywheel were completely toast when pulled out, but it got me where I needed to go (so long as I was careful)

Personally, the being careful part is pissing me off...

I would recommend leaving the engine and take down the driveshaft and gearbox underneath instead. This to avoid all trouble with all the equipment around the engine. This is what I have done each time I did change clutch on my earlier cars.

Just be aware that you will have an oil spill when you remove the driveshaft.

453747.png

Personally, the being careful part is pissing me off...

+100

driving home tonight wasn't fun at all, having a turbo and not being able to put it to use, sucks BIG TIME.....:mad:

i understand what its like to be depressed now.....:icon_cry:

YAY for clutch time... Had mine done for the same reason. Honestly it help stage 2 power for a LONG time. Just once we got cold here i seemed to be making a lot more power.

ACT all the way. Have a shop you trust do it. and make sure they check the rear main seal while they are in there, assuming you do a flywheel as well.

I would recommend leaving the engine and take down the driveshaft and gearbox underneath instead. This to avoid all trouble with all the equipment around the engine. This is what I have done each time I did change clutch on my earlier cars.

Just be aware that you will have an oil spill when you remove the driveshaft.

X2, I have never done a legacy but other cars, and we just did it that way. Also yes be prepared for an oil spill when you pull the driveshaft, I learned that the hard way because I was stupid and not thinking ( oil all over myself). I did this all on a camaro on jackstands, which is one of the harder cars to do it on. It was a PITA, but was do able. Hardest part is getting leverage to get the tranny off. Anyone know any good tricks to help get the tranny off? Not to jinx myself but I have 51k and my clutch is holding up fine, however I feel my time may come soon... Is it necessary to upgrade flywheels when getting a better clutch? Anyone make aftermarkt clutches that can work with our flywheel. I would prob prefer to save money and just get mine re-surfaced if that is a reasonable option.:confused:

If you replace the clutch, I would do the flywheel at the same time. Just like when you replace brake pads, you should turn your rotors, you should resurface the flywheel if you keep the stocker....But if you change the flywheel at the same time, no need to do that. If I were in your shoes I would also get the fly.

And there's no need to reflash to the stock map....It won't help much in your current situation. But if you want to, go ahead. It's not hard to do and not hard to put the "stage 1" map back on. But changing the clutch and fly would be good, especially if you are wanting to do more down the road. Depending on how much tq you end up making you will have to change to a more aggressive clutch anyway, so just do it now.

Good luck!

i'm gonna go with 06-07 WRX FW and ACT HD clutch, most likely from fred beans, unless i can find them for the same price locally, shipping sucks bad when you live hawaii.....

everyone seems to love that setup, even ryan from FBP highly recommended it...ever in hawaii hit me up

thanks guys.....

Archived