LegacyGT.com

07 LGT rotor vs. H6 rotor

txl146

pawlwawl06 - Are thinking that by vented, I mean slotted? If that's the case, well no, that's not what I mean, lol. The difference between a vented and a solid rotor can be seen in these two pictures:

Solid:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/SolidRotorOuter.jpg

Vented:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/VentedRotorOuter.jpg

Notice how the vented rotor is pretty much just two solid rotors connected together with the space in between acting as 'vents', hence the name vented rotors. Vented rotors are almost always used on the front brakes because the fronts contribute much more to braking than the rears and need the extra cooling capacity. Solid rotors are still as effective since the same amount of area is being used for braking, but don't have as much cooling capacity as their vented counterparts. It works out though, because the rear brakes only contribute approximately 20% of the braking force though and thus, don't become as hot. This is why on track cars you see the front brakes are scorching red and the rears are often hot, but not as red.

Rear vented rotors to my knowledge are used on the 06+ WRX, 04+ STi, 05+ LGT, and a few other models like Tribeca and some years/submodels of the Forester. Base models usually get the shaft with small (but still vented) front brakes and solid rears.

Back to what the OP is trying get at...

The difference between H6 size brakes and 05+ LGT brakes is exactly that. The H6 rotors are solid, and the LGT rotors are vented. Both are the same exact diameter, 11.3", but they are not the same rotors.

A vented rotor will NOT fit in a caliper that was made for a solid rotor, which is why you need the correct caliper AND brackets specifically for the LGT setup.

Assuming you have a 2002 WRX, the upgrade for both is as followed:

H6 size (11.3" solid) - You only need the H6 sized rotors, and the H6 size caliper brackets. You do not need the H6 calipers because your stock rotors are also solid which means you can simply use your stock calipers and simply bolt the brackets onto them.

05+ LGT size (11.3" vented) - You need basically everything. You need the LGT sized 11.3" vented rotors, the 05+ LGT calipers, and the 05+ LGT caliper brackets. FYI, these rotors are the same exact rotors as the rear rotors found on the 06-07 WRX, which use the 2-pot caliper with SUBARU on them.

IMPORTANT: On both setups, you will need new brake pads as the brackets use a different shape than the WRX rear brackets. For the H6 setup you can look up pads for any 00-04 Legacy/Outback and for the LGT setup you can look up pads for any 05+ LGT.

Is that clear? I hope so...

OK, off to bed :lol:

No no I'm just wondering why they would use solid rotors on the 3.0 vs vented on the 2.5GT. Aren't the cars nearly identical in power and weight?

Ahh, I think I know where the misconception is coming from now. ;)

The 'H6' size rotors aren't necessarily from the Legacy/Outback 3.0, the H6 term is just used to describe the 11.3" solid rear rotors which can be found on ANY Legacy or Outback 00-04 (BE/BH generation).

I believe the 3.0R Legacy and Outback does in fact have the same rear setup as the 05+ LGT though, but I'll have to check on that because you're right, the cars are very identical with the obvious exception of the engine.

Ahh, I think I know where the misconception is coming from now. ;)

The 'H6' size rotors aren't necessarily from the Legacy/Outback 3.0, the H6 term is just used to describe the 11.3" solid rear rotors which can be found on ANY Legacy or Outback 00-04 (BE/BH generation).

I believe the 3.0R Legacy and Outback does in fact have the same rear setup as the 05+ LGT though, but I'll have to check on that because you're right, the cars are very identical with the obvious exception of the engine.

Ohhh ok I get ya now. :redface:

Archived